Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Statement regarding Gus Poyet on Website NOW *merged*

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
The second meeting unless I am wrong, he will not be in a position to delay further unless he has issues with his legal team, I may be wrong here

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
One's here !

OK, let's take your route - £2.5m lost on another club buying him out of his contract to start with and possibly a large settlement in court. We're already losing £8m a year so let's add this, say, £5m to that meaning this years loses will be £13m BEFORE any more money for new transfers.

This "just sack him" idea will only lead to us having a VERY small transfer pot ( if any ).

Read my other post. You honestly think Poyet can easily claim £2.5m by avoiding settlement attempts? Any serious situation regarding employment would take absolute priority, the fact that a legal rep from the LMA isn't available until later this week is a joke.

We also lost £8million in one season, that's not a continuation. There is going to be huge costs in the transition from a small stadium to the big one we now have, anyone to think it was going to be smooth and cost free is either a moron, or completely unable to count. So to assume we are going to loss £8mil this year is ridiculous, as the transition is almost over and being smoothed out with financial measures being put in place by Barber.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
The LMA statement clears a lot up and give those circumstances Gus was perfectly within his rights to request a delay to the hearing, in fact would have been foolish to attend before being properly prepared.

More fuel to the "wait and see before passing comment" fire

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Not at all. If you look back to some of my posts in March/April I said there was no way he would be here come next season, even if we went up. Do you honestly thing his body language said any different towards the end. Just sitting there with his arms folded most of the time, just running down the clock. We was in a promotion campaign for christ sake and he showed no passion at all, most of the time.

What utter utter toilet.

A very quick search finds an image at the final whistle against middleborough. He doesn't care does he?
Gus+Poyet+Middlesbrough+v+Brighton+Hove+Albion+S5pwB1-YN4Ul.jpg

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
This speaks volumes, sack him. **** him, don't give him a penny. If he can't attend meetings regarding the situation, how can he argue for repayment of cancelled contract when the club is giving him options.

Where's his staunch defenders now?

Well one of his most staunch defenders, the lma, have issued a very detailed statement. Clearly they are seething at the club on this. I mentioned last week that the club statements and leaks were not helpful. I mentioned this morning that the club were trying to manage the situation and someone else said 'spinning like a top'.

All I would suggest us that people don't fall for one set of spin or the other they may read. Although with my knowledge of employment law, the lma statement looks to be a more detailed and rational statement and one that is more about trying to resolve rather than ramp up the pressure.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Thursday now

Let me rephrase that statement.

Our client is a MASSIVE EGOTIST who only cares about himself, and certainly NOT the club he manages, its chairman, staff, players or fans. In no way would he or his legal representatives or his LMA appointee have spent any time at all from 13th June reading the club's report and preparing to attend a scheduled hearing. Rather he preferred to be sunning himself. He has no appreciation for the club, and the fantastic opportunity his chairman provided him.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Agreed. And seems odd how we played so badly in the play offs. Seems odd how he bought Barnes back after his 9 game ban, got man of the match then never picked him again. Seems odd that Vicente was on bench at Selhurst, not at the Amex yet played against Wolves in a nothing game. Seems odd he didn't play the team that beat Palace 3-0 against them again. Seems odd that Oatway was always put up in front of the press most of the time after the loan window shut etc etc etc....There are loads of things that seem very odd about the last few weeks of the season. Or am I the only one that noticed???

Now you say it, I do remember a number of news stories on the BBC with Charlie being spoken to rather than Gus, never occurred to me something was up at the time. You're wrong about Barnes though, he started against both Leeds and Wolves (the remaining two league matches), played the full 90 in each and then he brought him on as a sub for both play-offs.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Gus is clearly holding out to the point where they just have to sack him so he can get the money he IS owed contractually. Barber clearly didn't like the culture of Gus and Charlie but has nothing concrete whatsoever on them.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

Our client is a MASSIVE EGOTIST who only cares about himself, and certainly NOT the club he manages, its chairman, staff, players or fans. In no way would he or his legal representatives or his LMA appointee have spent any time at all from 13th June reading the club's report and preparing to attend a scheduled hearing. Rather he preferred to be sunning himself. He has no appreciation for the club, and the fantastic opportunity his chairman provided him.

Your agenda is dull.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Read my other post. You honestly think Poyet can easily claim £2.5m by avoiding settlement attempts? Any serious situation regarding employment would take absolute priority, the fact that a legal rep from the LMA isn't available until later this week is a joke.

We also lost £8million in one season, that's not a continuation. There is going to be huge costs in the transition from a small stadium to the big one we now have, anyone to think it was going to be smooth and cost free is either a moron, or completely unable to count. So to assume we are going to loss £8mil this year is ridiculous, as the transition is almost over and being smoothed out with financial measures being put in place by Barber.

The LMA are a union effectively and you try getting legal representation from a union - sometimes it can take weeks.

Hate to tell you but accounts are measured in financial years NOT seasons.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Or - as is looking more and more likely - he was wrongly suspended.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London

Why should he have to return from annual leave because his employer's charged him with something? Would you?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
1) the very basic a level law, which states that employment tribunals must have a level of negotiation between the two parties before going to court. This could be mediation, arbitration or the like. Nothing from Gus.

2) personal experience when I requested legal advice from withheld wages from a previous employer, they advised me to speak to the company and negotiate a settlement before pursuing through the courts.

It's also stated here: http://www.justice.gov.uk/tribunals/employment

You cannot assume you can go straight to the employment tribunal before any form of negotiation. The club released a statement regarding the situation with the meeting today, which is evidence that one party has attempted to settle this outside of court. Seeing as Poyet has not attended this, he'd be unlikely to win an unfair dismissal case due to the fact he has omitted to attend any form of dispute settlement outside of court.

If he was advised not to attend, then I'm wondering what his lawyers are saying. Seeing as they'd get more money if this was taken to the tribunal, and they win, the club then covers all legal costs..

The statement from the LMA somewhat blows your expert opinion to bits !

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Well one of his most staunch defenders, the lma, have issued a very detailed statement. Clearly they are seething at the club on this. I mentioned last week that the club statements and leaks were not helpful. I mentioned this morning that the club were trying to manage the situation and someone else said 'spinning like a top'.

All I would suggest us that people don't fall for one set of spin or the other they may read. Although with my knowledge of employment law, the lma statement looks to be a more detailed and rational statement and one that is more about trying to resolve rather than ramp up the pressure.
In my opinion, the club should be ramping up the pressure. The club has more to lose than Gus, Gus will be employed sooner or later by another club. By the club cannot sustain this amount of time trying to solve this situation. I don't really know what else the club could add to the statement, perhaps mention of tea and biscuits and an attendance list.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Gus is clearly holding out to the point where they just have to sack him so he can get the money he IS owed contractually. Barber clearly didn't like the culture of Gus and Charlie but has nothing concrete whatsoever on them.

Guesswork and speculation. Something I thought you abhorred!

May 18, 2013

In business if somone is found to be in breach of contract it is them who end up paying the compensation...

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
I am becoming more and more worried about the club and its prospects next season as each day passes. As a club we had made significant strides forward following the move to the Amex both on and off the pitch and the prospect of premiership football was a real and achievable target over the next couple of seasons and gus was a very big part of that growth in tandem with bloom. It was super to see the local kids wearing brighton shirts and these beginning to out number the manu's and arsenal's of this world.

What happened in the lead up to the second leg and following it I wish I knew but the facts are we have no management team in situ, not all pre season games confirmed, players return possibly delayed and an employment dispute which shows no sign of quick resolution and continues to damage our prosepcts. Not only this but the fans appear to be split between support for the board or poyet. I dont see this being resolved this week following todays events and the statement from the lma and before we know it july is here and the first pre season friendly on us.

Am I the only one more worried about the team and next season then who is right and wrong in all this?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here