Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Statement regarding Gus Poyet on Website NOW *merged*

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Why is it morally wrong. If for extreme example sake, it turns out like Blackadder (the Flanders pidgeon murderer) in from of General Melchet then morally the accused would be right to make a point of law to be reflected or to question the process.

Big and small companies make mistakes all the time on matters of disciplinary and grievance.

My point is Gus has to go. With this in mind, all I'm saying is that his delaying tactics, or those of his legal team, are morally wrong. Just IMHO.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Gus is clearly holding out to the point where they just have to sack him so he can get the money he IS owed contractually. Barber clearly didn't like the culture of Gus and Charlie but has nothing concrete whatsoever on them.

Smile

Aug 19, 2011
After reading what the League Managers' Association have said, I hope some of you realise you have been taken in by Kev the Rev and the clubs spin!!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
League Managers' Association statement on Gus Poyet's Brighton disciplinary hearing >>>

The League Managers Association (LMA) has issued the following statement regarding Gus Poyet, manager of Brighton & Hove Albion FC, in response to media speculation and a number of statements made by the Club.
Brighton & Hove Albion FC ordered Gus Poyet to attend a crucial disciplinary hearing today, despite the fact that he only returned from annual leave yesterday and the charges were not particularised until 13th June. Further, the very lengthy appendices to the initial report comprise around 500 pages and these were also only delivered recently. Clearly Gus needs to have a fair and reasonable opportunity to respond to what we believe are unfounded charges against him.
Also, it has repeatedly been made clear to the Club that Gus’s LMA representative, Richard Bevan was not available to accompany him today, but was available to attend on Thursday 20th or Friday 21st June as well. These two dates fall within the five working day period for an employee to offer alternatives to the original date set by the Club as set-out in the Club’s own handbook. We believe that our members are entitled to the same legal protections that other employees enjoy. Football clubs need to observe basic employment rights like any other employer in our view. Just to be clear, however, we are confident that Gus will demonstrate there is no case to answer in this matter.
Notwithstanding these important points, the Club decided to go-ahead with the hearing in the absence of both Gus and Richard Bevan. Late this afternoon the Club agreed to adjourn and reconvene the disciplinary hearing to Thursday 20th June 2013. The LMA is pleased that the Club has agreed to an arrangement whereby Gus and his chosen representative will be able to attend.
The LMA will not be making any further statement at this stage.

That sounds much more like it, than the statement the club has made.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
We were the best team in the league for the last half of the season and had the best form of all the teams in the play offs. Seems odd for someone who did not give a f*ck.

Agreed. And seems odd how we played so badly in the play offs. Seems odd how he bought Barnes back after his 9 game ban, got man of the match then never picked him again. Seems odd that Vicente was on bench at Selhurst, not at the Amex yet played against Wolves in a nothing game. Seems odd he didn't play the team that beat Palace 3-0 against them again. Seems odd that Oatway was always put up in front of the press most of the time after the loan window shut etc etc etc....There are loads of things that seem very odd about the last few weeks of the season. Or am I the only one that noticed???

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Whatever is going on Poyet is holding the cards and we need Bloom to announce soon he has a Royal Flush. The silence from the club suggests they know they are backtracking and Poyet is doing a job on them. No one comes out smelling of Roses in any of this and it has been a monumental f*ck up imo. I hope agenda's did not cloud people's minds when all this started 5 long weeks ago.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
If an investigation has been completed, my assumption is his legal team had not received a copy of the allegations and findings of the investigation, they surely need that to be able to defend Poyet and the allegations being made?

Potentially turning into a shambles
:down:

Dompierre

May 17, 2013
France
Sitting in France it has been hard to follow the Gus saga other than via NSC. I have resisted the temptation to put hard won euros on the certs that have been our next manager .... Neville, Redknapp, Rossler, Di Matteo, Hoddle, etc.....I have stayed up all night waiting for news of the meeting that the mate of a friend of someone posting has assured me was due to take place and I have heard little beyond Mr Barber's statement from the club I have supported since 1967. I was always hopeful that Gus would stay for a variety of reasons but his somewhat smug attitude on MOTD last night and failure to appear at the hearing today suggest there will be no reconciliation and no-one should want a less than committed manager. I don't think the appointment of a new manager will give us no hope next season....but it won't help. Sadly, c'est la vie.

Have just read the LMA statement: it would appear that both sides are playing hard ball / silly buggers...the sooner they get round the table the better.

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
Seems to have very little to do with football and all about the money
Very surprised a deal has not been found in private

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
This speaks volumes, sack him. **** him, don't give him a penny. If he can't attend meetings regarding the situation, how can he argue for repayment of cancelled contract when the club is giving him options.

Where's his staunch defenders now?

One's here !

OK, let's take your route - £2.5m lost on another club buying him out of his contract to start with and possibly a large settlement in court. We're already losing £8m a year so let's add this, say, £5m to that meaning this years loses will be £13m BEFORE any more money for new transfers.

This "just sack him" idea will only lead to us having a VERY small transfer pot ( if any ).

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
The club should do the honourable thing and admit that it made a monumental **** up by suspending the management team, and do everything within its power to make peace with Gus, who presumably holds the aces as it is the club who are in the wrong.

A public apology to the fans would not go amiss too.

You are completely bonkers!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
If he doesn't have a reasonable excuse for not being present, the club can carry out the hearing in his absence. Just prolonging things. Difficult to be angered by any party without knowledge of what is going on.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Do be quiet child, go and play Subbuteo in the dining room.

What grounds do you have for sacking him? Are you an expert in contract law? He elected (not chose or decided) not to attend which shows that he took his own lawyers advice.

1) the very basic a level law, which states that employment tribunals must have a level of negotiation between the two parties before going to court. This could be mediation, arbitration or the like. Nothing from Gus.

2) personal experience when I requested legal advice from withheld wages from a previous employer, they advised me to speak to the company and negotiate a settlement before pursuing through the courts.

It's also stated here: http://www.justice.gov.uk/tribunals/employment

You cannot assume you can go straight to the employment tribunal before any form of negotiation. The club released a statement regarding the situation with the meeting today, which is evidence that one party has attempted to settle this outside of court. Seeing as Poyet has not attended this, he'd be unlikely to win an unfair dismissal case due to the fact he has omitted to attend any form of dispute settlement outside of court.

If he was advised not to attend, then I'm wondering what his lawyers are saying. Seeing as they'd get more money if this was taken to the tribunal, and they win, the club then covers all legal costs..

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The best outcome on Thursday is that the club pay Poyet off, agree to move on and appoint the new manager who is undoubtedly in the wings waiting for this farce to end. How long would a decent new manager wait for this fiasco to end before looking at other options knowing he now has very limited time to get a team training and ready for games in less than 3 weeks ? So the damage is untold. So , we are not getting any money out of Poyet and we may need to pay him off but considering the wages we have spunked away on Harley and others it may prove to be a small price to pay to move the club forward. Poyet, like him or not is now playing hardball so we need to step up to the plate and annouce wtf he has done to warrant the action taken ( we have nothing to date of any substance ) or admit we got this one wrong and lets end it as best we can now to move on.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Just read LMA response and this to me sounds very credible, the only valid reason I think he would delay is incorrect notice to organise legal team OR he has not received the investigation findings in a timely manner to set up a defence of the allegations being made

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
That sounds much more like it, than the statement the club has made.

Why? Because it fits with your opinions? The LMA are just doing what any employee representative organisation would do, stating the reasons for the non-attendance and their support of their 'client'. Why is that 'more like it' than the club's statement?

D

Deleted member 2719

Bring on Thursday........................................can we go.:smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here