Official Statement regarding Gus Poyet on Website NOW *merged*

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Legal, obviously. Morally wrong?

Why is it morally wrong. If for extreme example sake, it turns out like Blackadder (the Flanders pidgeon murderer) in from of General Melchet then morally the accused would be right to make a point of law to be reflected or to question the process.

Big and small companies make mistakes all the time on matters of disciplinary and grievance.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I still puzzle at those clinging to the hope that he will return. He won't.
Why on earth would you want him back? Aside of this protracted squabble, the man is patently not good enough to take us any further. He thinks he is and that is the problem.
Football is full of individuals who sell themselves well and Gus is no exception. Charasmatic and media friendly, he wins most over purely through that. Scratch below the surface and the weaknesses and immaturity show.
Those who think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread clearly aren't steeped in great football knowledge. I guess they are relative latecomers to the scene. Seduced by his charm, they are incapable of objective criticism. They haven't seen the better managers at work, who put their club and players before themselves and defend them to the hilt.
Its sad its come to this but not surprising. The man is only an employee and eminently replaceable. He has done a good job but not an outstanding one. The club has not entered into this lightly. Something was seriously wrong around the time of the play-off second leg. The fans were very badly let down.
I think a lot of us are tired of the ' media circus ' around Gus Poyet. It should be about BHA and very soon ( when he has gone ) it will be again. A new man will be in situ, going more quietly about his work and hopefully achieving more.
Lets hope for resolution by the weekend.

I don't know enough about the current disciplinary situation to pin my colours to a mast with certainty, but I do agree with every word of your post about Poyet in general.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Who cares?

Well we have no one to take training in 7 days and no one to pick the team in 19 days. The club thought he would come back to do this temporarily I guess but that was a complete non starter.

Cornerpost

Aug 27, 2011
Hove
Who would want him after this childish show of contempt.Is anyone sweating over us getting a decent manager in time for the new season ??? NAAAAAAH. The Albion are far bigger than any individual member of staff, no matter how good they are.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Certainly not faceless, but is very quiet is how I would describe Tony Bloom and all this about what Gus has done for this club is insignificant to what TB has done. I feel fans that are attacking Barber are attacking Bloom too. Bloom brought Barber in to do a job and I am sure they discuss every move. So if it really comes down to who we back for what they have done for this club, then I say goodbye Gus because TB has my complete backing.

Bloom brought Gus in to get us promoted which is what he did (and in style)
Bloom has made mistakes in the past, allowing Brown to overspend then instantly dismissing him, so it appears they didn't discuss every move. He also brought in Stephenson who left as he 'didn't settle in Sussex'

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
What an ego.

Not at all. If you look back to some of my posts in March/April I said there was no way he would be here come next season, even if we went up. Do you honestly thing his body language said any different towards the end. Just sitting there with his arms folded most of the time, just running down the clock. We was in a promotion campaign for christ sake and he showed no passion at all, most of the time.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
This speaks volumes, sack him. **** him, don't give him a penny. If he can't attend meetings regarding the situation, how can he argue for repayment of cancelled contract when the club is giving him options.

Where's his staunch defenders now?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not at all. If you look back to some of my posts in March/April I said there was no way he would be here come next season, even if we went up. Do you honestly thing his body language said any different towards the end. Just sitting there with his arms folded most of the time, just running down the clock. We was in a promotion campaign for christ sake and he showed no passion at all, most of the time.

You stated you understand more than anyone which includes Barber, Bloom & Poyet. Well done.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

We were the best team in the league for the last half of the season and had the best form of all the teams in the play offs. Seems odd for someone who did not give a f*ck.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Are they actually being serious?

This has been 4 weeks. I am amazed that they would 'give him the chance to attend' after not today.

What a strange turn of events in which he doesn't show due to disputed legal reasons. Anyone have any idea, without speculating, of what sort of reasons that could lead to someone not attending a disciplinary hearing? Seems a bit of an odd one to me.

Its so disappointing that it has all ended like this.
Actually, this may help us when we/if we cancel his contract and tries to get compensation. He has been given an opportunity to solve it, and has failed to do attend. Very little room, so I expect our lawyers to be preparing for battle.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This speaks volumes, sack him. **** him, don't give him a penny. If he can't attend meetings regarding the situation, how can he argue for repayment of cancelled contract when the club is giving him options.

Where's his staunch defenders now?

What grounds do you have for sacking him? Are you an expert in contract law? He elected (not chose or decided) not to attend which shows that he took his own lawyers advice.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
You stated you understand more than anyone which includes Barber, Bloom & Poyet. Well done.

No I didn't. I said anyone who thought he still had a future after he was suspended. I was referring to the people on here who thought there could be anyway back for him. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
Thursday now

League Managers' Association statement on Gus Poyet's Brighton disciplinary hearing >>> said:
The League Managers Association (LMA) has issued the following statement regarding Gus Poyet, manager of Brighton & Hove Albion FC, in response to media speculation and a number of statements made by the Club.
Brighton & Hove Albion FC ordered Gus Poyet to attend a crucial disciplinary hearing today, despite the fact that he only returned from annual leave yesterday and the charges were not particularised until 13th June. Further, the very lengthy appendices to the initial report comprise around 500 pages and these were also only delivered recently. Clearly Gus needs to have a fair and reasonable opportunity to respond to what we believe are unfounded charges against him.
Also, it has repeatedly been made clear to the Club that Gus’s LMA representative, Richard Bevan was not available to accompany him today, but was available to attend on Thursday 20th or Friday 21st June as well. These two dates fall within the five working day period for an employee to offer alternatives to the original date set by the Club as set-out in the Club’s own handbook. We believe that our members are entitled to the same legal protections that other employees enjoy. Football clubs need to observe basic employment rights like any other employer in our view. Just to be clear, however, we are confident that Gus will demonstrate there is no case to answer in this matter.
Notwithstanding these important points, the Club decided to go-ahead with the hearing in the absence of both Gus and Richard Bevan. Late this afternoon the Club agreed to adjourn and reconvene the disciplinary hearing to Thursday 20th June 2013. The LMA is pleased that the Club has agreed to an arrangement whereby Gus and his chosen representative will be able to attend.
The LMA will not be making any further statement at this stage.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Suspending the management team was totally unnecessary regardless of whether Gus beached his contract or not.

This should have been settled behind closed doors.

Instead it has all but destroyed the relationship with a top manager & club legend who was probably a season away from Premiership football. Embarrassing the clubs fans, and destroying its reputation in the process - and it will almost certainly have negative repercussions with next seasons football too.

If Gus did not breach his contract after all of this, it will have been one of the biggest board **** ups in English football.

Do be quiet child, go and play Subbuteo in the dining room.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
If he's disputing a legal matter then his own legal team will have advised him not to attend while the matter is resolved. The club can't sack him, Poyets legal team would have a field day with that and we'd be even worse off than we are now. We need this resolved ASAP but in a way that doesn't mean months possibly years of legal teams posturing towards each other before an out of court settlement is announced. The only winners in that would be the expensive lawyers.
Actually, before you can go to tribunals, you require some level of negotiation and/or mediation. This was his chance, he had been warned about the meeting, therefore we'd have the field day as it is known a judge won't review a case unless something has been approached between the two parties. As far as we know, we've attempted negotiation and Poyet has failed to attempt to solve the dispute, alas leaving us legally better footed.

Do be quiet child, go and play Subbuteo in the dining room.
MK has an unbelievable ability to unconditionally support/defend ridiculous things, this and North Korea among them. If you ignore him, he'll go away. Or try to laugh at his posts, which is easier than ignoring.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports