Official Statement regarding Gus Poyet on Website NOW *merged*

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That is completely contradictory. The very reason Gus does NOT hold all the aces is because his reputation is now in shreds.
Yes, because we all know just how important a SPOTLESS reputation is in the football industry. :rolleyes:

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
We wasted £2.5m/3m on CMS.....time to waste the same on paying Gus off and then move on, with a manager who has now to accept a reduced budget.

edit - actually Gus wasted the £2.5m/£3 on CMS....

Sadly I think you are right. Time for the Club to swallow it's pride and pay off Gus and move on.

If our spending budget takes a hit , then so be it and if we have to spend a season mid table so be it.

Sad times.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If Gus had left the day after Palace and walked straight into another job effectively costing he club £2m in compensation, surely that would have been wrong as well?

I do feel both parties would do better just to walk away now....

If he walked without buying out his contract and goes into another job, yes. If he walks, doesn't pay, but doesn't work anywhere else for a long while (and not just because he's waiting until a prem job comes up in the new season) I would be more forgiving, personally.

But my point was more in response to the one sided look at Gus's actions. As neutral as I am on gus and his guilt, I will put forward possible defences for him, or attempt to highlight where people are being unfair on him all the while so many people are (imo, unfairly, given how little most of us know) criticising him. If it was the other way round I would be defending the club, but it seems enough people have the club's back in this discussion.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Surely more than 4 weeks is too long for any investigation of this type, how many people did they have to talk to? This is time sensitive and needed to have been done with haste from the start. And I am on the clubs side in this so far.

This is a very brief amount of time by solicitors measure of the space time continuum. 4 weeks has probably allowed, at most, the exchange of 4 letters, 2 from each party...

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
You do all realise it could take years for the whole story to come out.

Obviously the club will dismiss him as soon as they feel they can legally so they can appoint a new manager and then it will be up to either party to take the other to court or tribunal.

Did the Pulis v Gillingham (Scally ) case take about 2 years to be concluded?

And Megson with Sheff Wed, Keegan, P Reid etc etc

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Also the point that most people are missing. Is Poyet was asked to attend a meeting today by his employers, the people that pay his wages. He refused to attend, that in itself is a two fingered salute to his employers and grounds for dismissal.

No matter how many times you write this (or a variation of this) it doesn't get away from the fact that you appear to know rock all about employment law. Both sides are perfectly within their rights to do what they did today. It doesn't however mean that they are both, or either of them is 'right'.

I suspect this is the first time that the clubs disciplinary process (assuming they had one documented) has been tested to this level. It may be found wanting.

But just for a second imagine it is you who has been suspended. Now for illustrative purposes only here, you are told that the main accuser, or someone who has sleighted you in the past is chairing the hearing today. Or indeed you believe that information that is pertinent has been ignored in the investigation, and your union rep or lawyer told you not to attend as it would demonstrate compliance with a process you believed to be flawed which would negatively impact your legal rights. Would you still attend?

As I sa, I have no knowledge on the specifics here, but just demonstrating there are many valid reasons why he would have taken the step he has today.

Dandyman

In London village.
As I said on Saturday, Simster. Agree 100%. If the club decided to suspend Poyet all those weeks ago you would have thought they would have got together a 100% watertight case before they took that action. Poyet is playing hardball as it is a massive sleight on his reputation. This is not looking good.

Suspension is a neutral act. The club did not need a "100% watertight case". If they had a legitimate concern they were entitled to investigate it. As with Tano an investigation can conclude that there is no case to answer.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, because we all know just how important a SPOTLESS reputation is in the football industry. :rolleyes:

Its true that some clubs couldn't care less. e.g. Sunderland (and their fascist), but many will NEVER take on Gus or his like, e.g. Everton, WBA.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
So what blame do you think should be attached to Bloom in all this then?

Of course Bloom is to blame. He should have just let Poyet do as he pleases. Say what he pleases, spend what he pleases. Then piss off to the first club the actually wants him. In fact I can believe Bloom at all, I think he must have lost his marbles.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
The club's chief executive Paul Barber said recently:
"Our priority will always be to ensure that we continue to manage the variety of situations that can develop within the club with as much confidentiality, professionalism, and dignity as possible for everyone concerned."

And I'm sure they are trying to do that. Tony Bloom has always struck me as an honourable and decent bloke..... BUT "nice guys come last". I think that a more pragmatic and practical approach from the start was needed and would have resolved the situation by now.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
That is completely contradictory. The very reason Gus does NOT hold all the aces is because his reputation is now in shreds.

Who is that down to though ? This is the whole point.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Suspension is a neutral act. The club did not need a "100% watertight case". If they had a legitimate concern they were entitled to investigate it. As with Tano an investigation can conclude that there is no case to answer.

And the result of this is that Tano will tell them to do one.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No matter how many times you write this (or a variation of this) it doesn't get away from the fact that you appear to know rock all about employment law. Both sides are perfectly within their rights to do what they did today. It doesn't however mean that they are both, or either of them is 'right'.

I suspect this is the first time that the clubs disciplinary process (assuming they had one documented) has been tested to this level. It may be found wanting.

But just for a second imagine it is you who has been suspended. Now for illustrative purposes only here, you are told that the main accuser, or someone who has sleighted you in the past is chairing the hearing today. Or indeed you believe that information that is pertinent has been ignored in the investigation, and your union rep or lawyer told you not to attend as it would demonstrate compliance with a process you believed to be flawed which would negatively impact your legal rights. Would you still attend?

As I sa, I have no knowledge on the specifics here, but just demonstrating there are many valid reasons why he would have taken the step he has today.

Legal, obviously. Morally wrong?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
no matter how many times you write this (or a variation of this) it doesn't get away from the fact that you appear to know rock all about employment law. Both sides are perfectly within their rights to do what they did today. It doesn't however mean that they are both, or either of them is 'right'.

As i sa, i have no knowledge on the specifics here, but just demonstrating there are many valid reasons why he would have taken the step he has today.

nail. head.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Well, you could argue that Barber was appointed in the knowledge that him and Poyet didn't get on from their time at Spurs. Having said that, this maybe the reason TB chose him.

Surely your not suggesting Bloom appointed Barber, with the full knowledge that he and Poyet did not get along. But also with the full knowledge that Barber would not in anyway feel threatened by the growing influence Poyet was having throughout his football club. Next people will be saying Barber was bought in, to see off the great dictator!!!!!!

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I still puzzle at those clinging to the hope that he will return. He won't.
Why on earth would you want him back? Aside of this protracted squabble, the man is patently not good enough to take us any further. He thinks he is and that is the problem.
Football is full of individuals who sell themselves well and Gus is no exception. Charasmatic and media friendly, he wins most over purely through that. Scratch below the surface and the weaknesses and immaturity show.
Those who think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread clearly aren't steeped in great football knowledge. I guess they are relative latecomers to the scene. Seduced by his charm, they are incapable of objective criticism. They haven't seen the better managers at work, who put their club and players before themselves and defend them to the hilt.
Its sad its come to this but not surprising. The man is only an employee and eminently replaceable. He has done a good job but not an outstanding one. The club has not entered into this lightly. Something was seriously wrong around the time of the play-off second leg. The fans were very badly let down.
I think a lot of us are tired of the ' media circus ' around Gus Poyet. It should be about BHA and very soon ( when he has gone ) it will be again. A new man will be in situ, going more quietly about his work and hopefully achieving more.
Lets hope for resolution by the weekend.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
We wasted £2.5m/3m on CMS.....time to waste the same on paying Gus off and then move on, with a manager who has now to accept a reduced budget.

edit - actually Gus wasted the £2.5m/£3 on CMS....

I still think Cms is a very good player. Maybe not £3m, but a new manager who plays him to his strengths, might just see a new player in Cms.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I still puzzle at those clinging to the hope that he will return. He won't.
Why on earth would you want him back? Aside of this protracted squabble, the man is patently not good enough to take us any further. He thinks he is and that is the problem.
Football is full of individuals who sell themselves well and Gus is no exception. Charasmatic and media friendly, he wins most over purely through that. Scratch below the surface and the weaknesses and immaturity show.
Those who think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread clearly aren't steeped in great football knowledge. I guess they are relative latecomers to the scene. Seduced by his charm, they are incapable of objective criticism. They haven't seen the better managers at work, who put their club and players before themselves and defend them to the hilt.
Its sad its come to this but not surprising. The man is only an employee and eminently replaceable. He has done a good job but not an outstanding one. The club has not entered into this lightly. Something was seriously wrong around the time of the play-off second leg. The fans were very badly let down.
I think a lot of us are tired of the ' media circus ' around Gus Poyet. It should be about BHA and very soon ( when he has gone ) it will be again. A new man will be in situ, going more quietly about his work and hopefully achieving more.
Lets hope for resolution by the weekend.

Brilliant post. Spot on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports