Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Statement regarding Gus Poyet on Website NOW *merged*

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Carlsberg don't do manager dismissals but if they did, they'd probably...never get close to this one!

Poyet OUT! Asshole. And a major one at that.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Can we now stop any bullshit about playing poker with Bloom.

Gus holds all the aces here. The longer it drags on, the more damaged the football club becomes. What a total shambles.

As I said on Saturday, Simster. Agree 100%. If the club decided to suspend Poyet all those weeks ago you would have thought they would have got together a 100% watertight case before they took that action. Poyet is playing hardball as it is a massive sleight on his reputation. This is not looking good.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So what blame do you think should be attached to Bloom in all this then?

Maybe signing Gus for 5 years ? After all, it's likely that all of this is now down to money - who has to pay who. Given how football works it seems somewhat stupid to sign a manager for FIVE years !

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
That's a tad unfair on Barber, his hands are very tied by the disciplinary procedure. Barber just has to sit there and take it. He cannot come out and publicly defend himself or The Club without appearing to pre-empt the findings. We all know there has been speculation in the media of a rift between Barber and Poyet and/or vice versa. But who has undermined who? Someone on here claimed that Gus was facing 8 charges of breach of contract. Yet he may have acceptable responses to all of those.

There have been a couple of very bland statements form the Club telling us not a lot. Barber may be that bad guy that many NSCers seem to crave but equally Gus may be the problem. Barber may just be doing exactly the job that Tony Bloom employed him to do. You can see potential for a clash between the guy whose role it is to rein in the financial losses verses a manager who is happy to publicly speak about his budget limitations. Bloom appointed them both so its hardly a win/win for anyone, including the Chairman who must be terribly disappointed that given all the positives he has created this is now tarnishing things.

Barber didn't get invited as a pundit on national TV (MotD) 24 hours before his hearing, which was a golden opportunity for Gus to appear all squeaky clean. Yet one of the reasons we believe Gus is in this situation is because he is not very discrete with his public comments. He is adept at using the media for his own means. I am not trying to demonise Gus merely observing what appear to be the facts.

I still haven't ruled out Gus being found not guilty at the hearing or even getting re-instated. However I suspect that a line has been crossed.

this is so and on the other hand Gus was bought in to do a job and he is /was smack on target to finish the job and its that job (the team/manager and the managers staff) that bring that money in to run the club without them where would the club be my contention is still in the 1st division.
how much input does someone like Barber have in the coaching,picking of the team, if his job is to make money for the club then let him get on with it and if Gus has the job of looking after the team then let him get on with it
otherwise if they can't do that and can't get on together for the good of the club
then sack the pair of then for gods sake, and lets get on with making the club the fans and any management happy by getting us into the premiership
this at the moment is a bloody mess and those who have made my hometown club like this should hang their heads in shame and leave for the good of the club

END RANT

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Bloom certainly can't be blameless in this farce but I know saying that is considered being a traitor.

No. That's fair enough IMHO. For example, I believe Bloom's absence from all of this has been a mistake. That said he remains the one and only key indispensable figure at the club. Gus, on the other hand, is dispensable and should have found the exit door by now.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
As I said on Saturday, Simster. Agree 100%. If the club decided to suspend Poyet all those weeks ago you would have thought they would have got together a 100% watertight case before they took that action. Poyet is playing hardball as it is a massive sleight on his reputation. This is not looking good.

That is completely contradictory. The very reason Gus does NOT hold all the aces is because his reputation is now in shreds.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
We wasted £2.5m/3m on CMS.....time to waste the same on paying Gus off and then move on, with a manager who has now to accept a reduced budget.

edit - actually Gus wasted the £2.5m/£3 on CMS....

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
One indication of how this is perceived by a non-Brighton fan who is following this closely, just texted to me:

"The man (Gus) has no sense of morals. Perhaps he ought to remember who gave him a chance to prove himself"

Interesting, and so true.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I thoroughly agree. I want to enjoy next year and at present we're bereft of heartwarming anticipation.

Come on, we're only half way through June. Hardly any business is done at this point anyway because all the players and managers are on holiday.

Heart warming anticipation well on the way I reckon. :thumbsup:

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Surely more than 4 weeks is too long for any investigation of this type, how many people did they have to talk to? This is time sensitive and needed to have been done with haste from the start. And I am on the clubs side in this so far.

Well I agree, but when the employee fails to turn up it makes it hard to complete the hearing somewhat. He refused to do his job with the retained list, just sack him is my view, with the minimum legal sum of money needed to part with him.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
this is so and on the other hand Gus was bought in to do a job and he is /was smack on target to finish the job and its that job (the team/manager and the managers staff) that bring that money in to run the club without them where would the club be my contention is still in the 1st division.
how much input does someone like Barber have in the coaching,picking of the team, if his job is to make money for the club then let him get on with it and if Gus has the job of looking after the team then let him get on with it
otherwise if they can't do that and can't get on together for the good of the club
then sack the pair of then for gods sake, and lets get on with making the club the fans and any management happy by getting us into the premiership
this at the moment is a bloody mess and those who have made my hometown club like this should hang their heads in shame and leave for the good of the club

END RANT

ONLY Gus is suspended, and ONLY Gus needs to go, and go quickly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here