Official Statement regarding Gus Poyet on Website NOW *merged*

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Also the point that most people are missing. Is Poyet was asked to attend a meeting today by his employers, the people that pay his wages. He refused to attend, that in itself is a two fingered salute to his employers and grounds for dismissal.

No it's not. If this ever reaches an Employment Tribunal hearing, the Tribunal would be astonished to hear the employer argue that it was unreasonable for the employee to follow the advice of his legal advisors.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
You mean the employers who appear (from his perspective, perhaps) to be attempting to get rid of him without paying him what they had agreed he'd be entitled to, or worse, trying to squeeze more money from him than they are entitled to?

Wouldn't you give two fingered salute to employers like that?

With any luck the club have enough grounds to sack him and pay him f##k all. That's no more than he deserves, I think time will tell he should have taken what he was offered weeks ago. We will see.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The man has got zero class and behaves like a spoilt child time and time again. If he has got any leg to stand on at all then he would have jumped at the chance to defend his corner, he has had a month to prepare. This just proves he has no regard for anyone bar himself, all it's achieving is delaying our preparations for next season....That would also have an effect on the players who were suppose to look upto him. He is indirectly effecting there working lives as well....But that doesn't matter because he doesn't give a shite about anyone bar himself...It's always been me. me, me. Look at me!!!! Thankfully we won't have to for much longer.

Much like your factless posts on the situation.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
My word never has one man written so much about something he clearly understands very little of

I understand more than anyone whoever thought for one second he still had a future at this club, from the second he was suspended and in fact for sometime before end of the season.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You mean the employers who appear (from his perspective, perhaps) to be attempting to get rid of him without paying him what they had agreed he'd be entitled to, or worse, trying to squeeze more money from him than they are entitled to?

Wouldn't you give two fingered salute to employers like that?

If Gus had left the day after Palace and walked straight into another job effectively costing he club £2m in compensation, surely that would have been wrong as well?

I do feel both parties would do better just to walk away now....

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
For all you Gus haters...do you support the club's view 100%, no questions asked, no doubts whatsoever?

I ask because you are all basing your posts on the club's statement. Personally, I like Gus and what he did for us but I felt that he had reached his maximum with us. Set plays were rubbish, no plan 'B', did not use the players properly, CMS etc... But, he is the best manager I have ever seen for our club and the football has been superb, if a little slow at times!

The point is that in recent days there have been little snippets of info here, a 'leak' to the argus there, and 'suggestions' of what may be happening. These are allegedly all coming from the club. NONE of us know what Gus has done and Barber appears to be completely running the show. We NEVER here from TB and we all ASSUME that Gus is now the anti-Christ and should be run out of town!

Interestingly, I actually study body language and Gus on the BBC1 looked like a man that is 'confused' and 'shocked' that he know he is outspoken but he appears to be hung out to dry now.

Separately, why would it take any company FOUR weeks to conclude an investigation? Especially with someone like Charlie. What can Charlie have possibly done that takes more than four weeks to investigate??

If you don't like Gus because he is arrogant, flashy, fiery, rude or even because he did not care much about the club that is ok BUT I cannot see how you can turn on him because the club says he did not turn up or he had a row with the chairman or whatever!!

If you believe that Barber is just a cuddly, loveable chap who made a big name for himself by being everyone's best friend then you are naive. If he and Gus allegedly do not see eye to eye then there will be plenty of political young and growing before we can find out what, IF anything, has actually happened.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
My stance is simply: we don't know enough to judge Poyet. His post match interview is not anything worthy of disciplinary action IMO, it wasn't when I read about it after the game, and it's not now that all this has also happened, that his career aspirations and budget comments over the past three and a half years are being retroactively blown out of proportion by fans who for whatever reason want to hate Poyet (the number of people who start with 'I don't want to hate gus, but...' then follow up with rumour or innuendo or unfounded tosh as their reason for now, finally, reluctantly, turning against him, is amazing). Until I know any differently I will not pass judgement on him or the club, that comments from each party shall be taken with a pinch of salt (both because of the Rashomon effect, and because of the nature of negotiations and the media-based song and dance from both sides that go with it).

There is no evidence that they have had a problem with the comments in the past. I find it difficult to believe that nothing had leaked if there was some action taken against him previously, even if it was just a warning.

I informed NSC some time ago that Gus' earlier pronouncements HAD caused tensions with TB. My source is good, although many chose not to believe me, still clinging on to their Gus love in vain. The later post-Palace comments ARE a contributory factor in Gus' downfall. However, I am pretty sure the club have other more formal breach of contract matters to throw at him, if he can be bothered to turn up to a meeting that is.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I understand more than anyone whoever thought for one second he still had a future at this club, from the second he was suspended and in fact for sometime before end of the season.

But clearly next to nothing about employment (or contract) law which is the point

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
The bottom line is this goes on for at least another few days and that's bad for the club, there are other things the management and board should be doing before the coming season. That's a failure for both parties, whatever actually caused this mess in the first place they should have been able to have sorted out before now.
It was frustrating, then it was sad now it's a joke.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
This will all have an effect for a long time to come. How many future episodes of the Roar do you think you'll be mentioning some aspect of these events?

For the time being, none.

NSC has gone nuclear again, jumping, in many cases, to its own pre-judged conclusions. Fact is - we are none the wiser. 'Disputed legal reasons' is a phrase with a very wide-ranging remit. It could mean any number of things, some valid, some not so, some implying fault on one side, t'other side, or both sides.

I could comment or speculate on the nature of the reason, but I choose not to.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I am very much in sympathy with your views on Gus and the legal proceedings ......... but we do need to limit as much as possible the impact on next season. So we need all parties to do their best to sort it out asap.

I thoroughly agree. I want to enjoy next year and at present we're bereft of heartwarming anticipation.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Certainly not faceless, but is very quiet is how I would describe Tony Bloom and all this about what Gus has done for this club is insignificant to what TB has done. I feel fans that are attacking Barber are attacking Bloom too. Bloom brought Barber in to do a job and I am sure they discuss every move. So if it really comes down to who we back for what they have done for this club, then I say goodbye Gus because TB has my complete backing.

Bloom certainly can't be blameless in this farce but I know saying that is considered being a traitor.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Is it a dismissable offence to be sacked for not turning up to be told you've committed a dismissable offence? (Genuine question)

I would have thought that refusal to do part of your job is is grounds for sacking and we do know that Gus refused to do the retained list and notify players they were no longer required. Tony Bloom had to this as stated by Gary Dicker on Talk Sport.
Surely refusing to do your job is grounds for a hearing at least?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Not been too involved in these threads but if it hasn't come out already.....

If I were facing what I considered to be a trumped up charge of breach of contract because someone took offence to post Palace comments or some other minor (in contract terms) indiscretion then I wouldn't show up. I'd be saying I've absolutely no case to answer and I'm not going to participate in your absurd process. You either back down with a full public apology or fire me and then I'll serve you notice of my intention to get full compensation. You already made me a less than full settlement offer and I told you to shove it.

I've sat on the fence on this throughout as I don't know what the hell caused it but what I can see is a major balls up and the potential for this thing to run and run unless the club cut their losses and pay him off 100%. If they had a strong enough case for dismissal it sure as hell wouldn't have taken a month to gather the facts and take legal opinion

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports