Official Statement regarding Gus Poyet on Website NOW *merged*

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Graymac

May 1, 2013
Isle of wight
Like everyone else I don't know the ins and outs of what contractual breaches/acts of (gross) misconduct Gus is accused of.

However, from a professional point of view, if an employee failed to turn up for a disciplinary hearing at my workplace without a reason that was seen as valid by those hearing the case the we would normally hear the management case (what is the "concern" regarding the employee), adjourn, provide the employee with notes of what had taken place and invite then to attend a reconvened. If the employee then failed to attend without providing a legitimate explanation, the hearing would continue and conclude both in terms of determining if the case against the employee was upheld and if so, what the sanction should be.

If the club follows a similar path and takes the view that Gus has committed an act or acts of gross misconduct that render any future relationship of trust and confidence impossible, then they could summary dismiss him without notice. This would, of course, mean kissing goodbye to any compensation if he then joined another club.

IMO the mostly like outcome now will be Gus & Brighton parting company without any compensation to either party.

But I do know for a fact we need this bloody sorted quickly.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
two views on this

If you were Gus and you wanted out all you have to do is mess the club around and make the the whole disciplinary process a long drawn out affair with the new season looming up and you will get what you want eventually. He only has to say he's ill, stressed out, can't make it etc and the club will have to go along with that or face a tribunal themselves.

If Gus wanted to stay he would have turned up to talk.

If you were the Club and you wanted Gus out you would have to take things slowly and through all due process or you could face a tribunal.

If the Club wanted to keep Gus they could have not suspended him

I hate to say it but invariably the Club always loses out one way or another eg disruption to the season could mean missing out on promotion for another year. Its not like we have a fixed squad of players that a new manager can carry on from.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So you think that him having a pop about his budget was justified, despite him being given the means to put together one of the best squads we've ever had?

"Having a pop" overstates it. If the club expect him to get to the premier league, he has to have a budget to compete, there's only so far you can go getting cheaper players, and poorer players who you improve a bit. If the club have high expectations for him to achieve (that is,premier league football, two years after league one football), they can't look solely at themselves, they have to look at the division they're in, I.e. so what if it's the biggest budget in brighton's history, it needs to be big enough to match the other teams pushing for promotion (until we have an academy regularly producing quality players)

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Saying you want to make sure the clubs ambition is still in line with yours before committing your future to them is shameful behaviour that warrants a public apology? Give over.

Yep, saying it when he did, when he has just been out thought by a manager with less resources than he had it was completely inappropriate. And again, I say this as someone who has loved being on the Gus bus but I've rung the bell and want to get off.

Aug 23, 2011
Doesn't surprise me at all. It's the Gus Poyet show, what did people expect. Anyone still want him back??? Just shows you how much he cares about the club that has put him on the map and us fans. Not to mention the chairman, who backed him all the way....Really showing his true colours now. I'd be surprised if chairmen all over the country aren't very wary of Poyet now. But then perhaps that's the problem, he isn't in as much demand as he likes to think he is and has nowhere to go. So he is just causing as much unrest as possible.

Yes currently i would still have him back, there's a fairly old saying that our judicial system run by that you may have heard of "innocent until proven guilty".

Now proof doesn't mean made up hearsay on an internet forum

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I can't fathom how someone has the choice of not attending their own disciplinary hearing, but then I'm no expert on employment law.

To be fair it could be anything. He's obviously being well advised as a few bob's at stake, could be a notice not filed in time, a document not sent in time, any number of technicalities. As you will see time and again most companies lose employment tribunals not on law but on process, i.e. what they did would have been right had the followed the right process.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
two views on this

If you were Gus and you wanted out all you have to do is mess the club around and make the the whole disciplinary process a long drawn out affair with the new season looming up and you will get what you want eventually. He only has to say he's ill, stressed out, can't make it etc and the club will have to go along with that or face a tribunal themselves.

If Gus wanted to stay he would have turned up to talk.

If you were the Club and you wanted Gus out you would have to take things slowly and through all due process or you could face a tribunal.

If the Club wanted to keep Gus they could have not suspended him

I hate to say it but invariably the Club always loses out one way or another eg disruption to the season could mean missing out on promotion for another year. Its not like we have a fixed squad of players that a new manager can carry on from.

Not sure its a case of messing the club up its about looking after No 1. There is a lot of money on the line, he will be paying lawyers to look after his best interests. He may well want to stay (not going to happen is it) but has been advised to do things properly and cover his own back.

No-one on here (unless you happen to work in certain legal firms) knows why he didn't attend.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
It is not 'pathetic'. It's what he has been advised to do by his solicitors. They have obviously told him it is in his best interests legally not to attend.

But what good is it exactly going to do ? It just leaves you open for the club to have you up for ANOTHER contract breach.

This is all in the hands of the legal teams now and will almost certainly be ruled by money. Would suggest putting Gus on gardening leave, but then he is still here and it will be an elephant in the room scenario, that and are we going to be able to attract a manager when we would still have one suspended. Would be MUCH easier if Gus resigned, but then he misses out on a big payday.

Its just going to get messier

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Some excellent assumptions being made on this thread.

My favourite so far is that Gus is trying to ruin next season for us :lolol:.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Indeed, It appears Tanno did nothing wrong; the club got it WRONG. It worries me that eventually it will be the same case re Poyet. How often do you hear of a manager being suspended for ONE thing, all of a sudden that none of his teams fans are aware of, let alone EIGHT.

And WTF has Charlie done?

Unreal

Whilst I like to think Tanno did nothing wrong, all we really know is that the process concluded and he wasn't dismissed. We certainly do not know that the club got it wrong.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Yes currently i would still have him back, there's a fairly old saying that our judicial system run by that you may have heard of "innocent until proven guilty".

Now proof doesn't mean made up hearsay on an internet forum

at last someone speaking sense

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
My assumption is purely one of him following legal advice. I don't quite see him as this nefarious rogue agent without a care in the world other than to strike revenge. Being a grown man, him and not i really, i can't imagine this Dick Dastardly that some want to simply paint twirling twiddlable moustache hairs on his lip and call him.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Still defending him I see. I was fairly neutral until the last few days but right now I never want him near this club again which is a terrible shame as it's been one hell of a ride. A wonderful few years completely tainted by the events post Palace - both those we know of (i.e heard) and those we have heard second hand and his taking the piss with his non-attendance.

So I guess if you'd paid for legal advice you would just ignore it if that advice was to stay away ?

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
can we all please calm down until we know the truth thank you

this,so many on here havent a scooby whats gone on,and i doubt very muchwe the fans will ever find out the whole truth,this is fact.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
How do you reach such conclusions?

An internal investigation is being conducted, with Gus being accused of breach of contract. He failed to turn up to that hearing (possibly twice), and the club are giving him yet another chance to attend.

I fail to see how the club is treating anyone 'like shit', nor Barber (despite my dislike for the guy).

Because there's got to be some balance here. It seems obvious we've got a massive falling out between two people appointed by TB to run the two different sides of the club. We hear jackshit from Barber except the occasional corporate release. I'm sure he's working hard to cut our expenditure, but there are clearly decisions made by him that people don't like. On the other side we've got Poyet who has transformed the football side, who released his frustrations at losing to Palace by alluding to the problems between him and Barber and their disagreements. Meanwhile Barber stays schtum and tells us nothing.

Because of this massive numbers of people are picking on Gus. It pisses me off, it really does. We know next to nothing about this suspension, but everyone is deciding Gus is at fault and backing the faceless guy in the office.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
The club "seem" (I have no evidence of this, just going by the press releases) to be doing this by the book, which is correct and this process should take as long as is necessary.

In the meantime, I believe now is the time to recruit an "interim" manager and or coach to take immediate care of first team affairs.

This does not form constructive dismissal as these are essential duties that Gus cannot take care of while he is legitimately suspended.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports