Official Southampton Away Thread - Away tickets sold out

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
When I'm on fire I always remember to stop, drop and roll.

Seriously though, animalistic probably isn't far from the truth. We are just animals at the end of the day and when people are running on instinct I guess our animal element in brain takes over. It is all very intersting, I've always found the concept of group mentality very odd, people doing things they wouldn't normally do because other people are doing it.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
New Bucks University do a Foundation Degree in crowd and event management now - they use a pressure suit at concerts - the pressure you can be under for 1-2 seconds is life threatening and would certainly kill people if it was maintained for 5-8 seconds. The links to band playlists and music volume is an eye opener - and whilst Oasis may come across as a pair of twats they were actually deeply involved in the research and have modified playlist to make sure crowds stay safe. There is footage of them stopping playing to prevent a crush, and also when the crowd gets too lively they switch to acoustic versions. Very clever guys - much more than you would believe. Friend of mine was their bag-carrier (close protection, but we never let him hear us admit that in public!) and he has nothing but good to say about them!

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Stewarding seems to be an area where the puritans have taken over.

When you still have people who throw coins onto the pitch, streak and light flares, what sort of image do you think we project to the powers that be? We try to tell them that we can be trusted, we should have standing areas, we don't need such high visibility policing and a couple of twats will be guaranteed to ruin it for the rest. Our flare incident was minor, no injury, no problems - buy I do have an issue with it being an orange flare. However, there is a link in the main "flare" thread which shows a boy being injured by a flare. You can write that off as it being a derby match, high spirits, whatever, but as soon as you get people who think that pyrotechnics in a crowd is the way ahead, then you will get injuries. I'd love find crowds that could self-control, that could happily mix and interact with no problems, but it doesn't happen. When it does, the Government will look again at the laws and perhaps relax them.

Start by slapping the people who throw the coins and the people who light the flares or run on the pitch - they are the ones who keep the current situation running.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
any chance southern will be putting a special train on? like they did 3 seasons back. i assume the answer is no.

last train back is 10.21 ish i think... might be cutting it a bit fine if the police hold us back and/or decide to march us back to the station as a group.

am i right in thinking it's about 20 minute walk from the ground to the station?

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
When you still have people who throw coins onto the pitch, streak and light flares, what sort of image do you think we project to the powers that be? We try to tell them that we can be trusted, we should have standing areas, we don't need such high visibility policing and a couple of twats will be guaranteed to ruin it for the rest. Our flare incident was minor, no injury, no problems - buy I do have an issue with it being an orange flare. However, there is a link in the main "flare" thread which shows a boy being injured by a flare. You can write that off as it being a derby match, high spirits, whatever, but as soon as you get people who think that pyrotechnics in a crowd is the way ahead, then you will get injuries. I'd love find crowds that could self-control, that could happily mix and interact with no problems, but it doesn't happen. When it does, the Government will look again at the laws and perhaps relax them.

Start by slapping the people who throw the coins and the people who light the flares or run on the pitch - they are the ones who keep the current situation running.

perhaps Chris Eubank could help out with this?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Glad my ticket turned up for this today!! Heard we have sold 5000 tickets today already, ace!

What we all drinking on the train?

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Interesting in that Southampton have allocated 3,200 but are honestly expecting many more. General concensus is that if you are in the home areas then just be sensible. We had to remove some plonker from Daghenham and Redbridge who took his jacket off and sat in the home end in his D&R top! And D&R can't have brought more than a couple of hundred so there was loads of space with the away fans!

And it we don't beat D&R by at least 6 goals then we are doing something wrong. They were abysmal, truly awful and Southampton should have managed 6. Our match against Southampton is going to be interesting - they like their wingers, they like to pass the ball around a bit and they have a couple of players who like to try their luck from distance. Will be exciting!

They are aware that we had a flare incident at the last match and will be looking out for a repeat performance. They also view this as being like a "cup final" and it even though it is midweek they are possibly going to elevate it to a higher classification (but not quite as high as the Pompey matches).

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Interesting in that Southampton have allocated 3,200 but are honestly expecting many more. General concensus is that if you are in the home areas then just be sensible. We had to remove some plonker from Daghenham and Redbridge who took his jacket off and sat in the home end in his D&R top! And D&R can't have brought more than a couple of hundred so there was loads of space with the away fans!

And it we don't beat D&R by at least 6 goals then we are doing something wrong. They were abysmal, truly awful and Southampton should have managed 6. Our match against Southampton is going to be interesting - they like their wingers, they like to pass the ball around a bit and they have a couple of players who like to try their luck from distance. Will be exciting!

They are aware that we had a flare incident at the last match and will be looking out for a repeat performance. They also view this as being like a "cup final" and it even though it is midweek they are possibly going to elevate it to a higher classification (but not quite as high as the Pompey matches).

is that the size of the away end then, 3,200? i think we'd take more than that if allowed, even on a Tuesday night.

Alex

Nov 3, 2010
The away end holds 3,200 at SMS but there's a possibility we will only give you about 2,400 odd because we may be close to a sell-out ourselves.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The away end holds 3,200 at SMS but there's a possibility we will only give you about 2,400 odd because we may be close to a sell-out ourselves.

There is actually NO possiblity of that. It would be against league rules.

10%, if the away team want them, innit.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Anyone know where to park for this game? Seems like there isn't much available.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports