Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Hang on. I'm off the pace, struggling and happy to talk about running times from the past. The future is different. I have to actually run. Like Dazzer I don't like the distance. On Sunday I will be around 47" as doing it as a punishment run.
Sorry I am out. 43:26 would kill me. Excellent running on your behalf.
I am prepared for a 10k AG meet at the Phoenix 10k next summer. Adrenaline works wonders.

Sorry: didn't mean to wind you up. I thought I recalled that you were around 21 for 5k not so long ago, so 43-44 would be attainable. And I've slipped back a bit since then anyway. So yes let's look into the future and try and target that 10K challenge. (I should add that the 10K resulted in a calf-strain!)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I love to be wound up. Helps me set targets. I will be thinking of virtual Gary Nelson's Teacher when the training gets tough this winter.

Cecil

Feb 8, 2008
Heathfield
Massive congrats to [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION] on his PB in the Poppy Half Saturday in what can only be described as horrendous conditions! I was just pleased to get round in in under 2 hours.

Anybody doing the Brooks 10k in Brighton this Sunday? If so I will see you there :clap2:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Ran the poppy half in 2:01 today. Conditions couldn't have been much worse with lots of runners struggling through the battering coming in off the sea. I ran 10 miles in 1:21 and then predictably my knee gave up on me again. Very deflating watching everyone pass me in the last 3 miles and now determined to get my knees right before I go out again. That said met some lovely people today and everyone in very good spirits despite everything.
How did you do Sheebo?

Great run that mate even if you had to slow at the end. I got a PB of 2-16 which I was over the moon with (6 mins off previous) especially given the conditions. Not sure if you saw me on the loop at all?!

Massive congrats to [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION] on his PB in the Poppy Half Saturday in what can only be described as horrendous conditions! I was just pleased to get round in in under 2 hours.

Anybody doing the Brooks 10k in Brighton this Sunday? If so I will see you there :clap2:

Thanks mate - always enjoyable to run with mates. Love the fact everyone has their own goals and are always made up for eachother doing it.

that's 6 halves in 12 months - 5 this calendar year and exactly the goal I set myself.

Next year Brighton, Hastings & Poppy alongside 2 mud runs - will probably add another half or two into the mix too... Anyone ran Worthing half?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I love to be wound up. Helps me set targets. I will be thinking of virtual Gary Nelson's Teacher when the training gets tough this winter.

Blimey: if I can have this impact when I'm not trying, just imagine the scale when I go into serious, committed and full-on WUM mode. And I can assure you that the virtual GNT is far quicker than the real thing!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
After working miracles on @Guiness Boy Jesus has saved again. Apparently when getting a slight ankle sprain on Parkrun back in July the ligament got scarred. This built up, stuck and stopped the posterior tibialis muscle functioning. The scar has been removed and is now working its way up to my kidneys and should be peed out in a couple of hours. Good riddance. 'You have to think of it as needing to call Dynarod for a blockage' said Jesus, trying to explain it in layman' terms.
Should beat Mo Farah's 10k record on Sunday now.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
After working miracles on @Guiness Boy Jesus has saved again. Apparently when getting a slight ankle sprain on Parkrun back in July the ligament got scarred. This built up, stuck and stopped the posterior tibialis muscle functioning. The scar has been removed and is now working its way up to my kidneys and should be peed out in a couple of hours. Good riddance. 'You have to think of it as needing to call Dynarod for a blockage' said Jesus, trying to explain it in layman' terms.
Should beat Mo Farah's 10k record on Sunday now.

Did he say I mentioned you? The calf stretches are continuing to do the business. Much less foot pain already and no shooting pain after my 2 hour run yesterday.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yes, he did. Also gave me your stretch. Foot against wall. When I do it I cannot feel anything in the stretch as the ankle does not move enough to stress the muscle. Only proviso is may require slight ankle realignment at the end of the week if still locked. This not as bad as it sounds apparently.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Wahay! I finally did my 8.5ish mile route in less than an hour, with the first 10k in about 41:40ish.

Reading the old-timers reliving their past 10k glories has made me realise I need to get my skates on if I'm going to go sub-40 minutes!! I'm not going to be middle-aged forever! :wink:

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Great run that mate even if you had to slow at the end. I got a PB of 2-16 which I was over the moon with (6 mins off previous) especially given the conditions. Not sure if you saw me on the loop at all?!

That's a fantastic achievement, and if the weather was kinder you probably would have gone a lot faster.
I did see you and gave you some encouragement which got lost in the wind and you had your headphones on but i thought you looked really comfortable, much more than me anyway.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Had a further look at that site last night and watched a couple of the videos. Decided to try a steady state run at their recommended pace this morning. Warning: those are for people who can quickly adjust to a set pace and stay with it, in America, in summer. Not so easy on the seafront in a gale :lolol: Either found myself going too fast or too slow for the pace range and constantly adjusting, particularly when I or the wind shifted direction.

However - I felt it was a REALLY good work out. Normally I'd struggle to jog out a 5k two days after a two hour long run. That was 6.5k this morning, 23 mins of it basically at threshold with a proper warm up, cool down and stretch.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Sheebo!

I've not run it but I have a place which I now cannot use, got an early bird so can sell for 25 quid (less than it cost me). Normal price 35.

Anyone interested?

Hello Max my boy - Hope you're well...

I may be interested as a mate has signed up - just waiting to see if others are in - will let you know but if anyone else on here wants it feel free..!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
No probs mate, got a while until the deadline to transfer the entry.

I'm good thanks, struggling with an injury that sounds very similar to a few on here in my left ankle.

Hope life is treating you well.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
45mph wind forecast for Sunday morning. Brooks 10k will be fun in the middle but hard going for the first 3km and last 2km on the altered course.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
45mph wind forecast for Sunday morning. Brooks 10k will be fun in the middle but hard going for the first 3km and last 2km on the altered course.

Any hopes of sub 40 are out of the window for Sunday with those winds. I'll try to enjoy the conditions and run the middle 5k hard see if I can go sub 19 for that part of the race.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Any hopes of sub 40 are out of the window for Sunday with those winds. I'll try to enjoy the conditions and run the middle 5k hard see if I can go sub 19 for that part of the race.

That's the best strategy. I'll have to let the wind take me in the middle rather than run hard, otherwise I'll struggle on the finish. My plan is to run a bit off the pace and enjoy it. An easy sub 46 for me.
Makes you realise how lucky the Brighton Marathon has been to have never had a strong wind. Fingers crossed for next year.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

Forecast is saying 27mph winds with gusts of up to 45mph. Maybe if the gusts coincide with the middle 5k, it won't be too bad.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Here's a debate for a Friday. I have finally found my Brighton Marathon training plan email, which Gmail put in to a dusty corner, and had a look at mine. They are provided by Running Bug.

I can't say I'm massively happy about them being involved anyway. Between keywords and the fact that some of my Facebook friends (all women, not a coincidence I feel) "like" them on there they have been cluttering up my FB feed for the past few months. Always seems to be ages old recycled posts about running fashion or diet or one of those Sub-Timmy Buzzfeed style lists on amusing things runners do. But they're doing the plan so I looked.

The "intermediate" one seems to be massively unsuitable unless I am missing something. Many in the Marathon will have a place in Brighton Half but the two things have not married up at all. Week 10 for them is a 2 - 2.5 hour steady run and the half marathon race is week 12, two weeks after Brighton finishes. No single run is longer than two and a half hours on either beginner or intermediate.

Is there some new theory about only running about half the distance in training or is the plan gubbins and to be ignored? I saved last year's London plan as a pdf and it includes a 22 mile run 4 weeks before the race that emphasises "practice hydration and nutrition". I like the look of it a lot more.

EDIT - put another way some weeks I'm training harder than that already........

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here