Official Running Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm cycling down to the bottom of West Street for 9am then heading towards the start line. I'm up for a post run beer will probably need to be Wetherspoons but at least the ale is cheap.

What impact approx do you think the wind will have for times? I might look it up later, will it slow 10% or more?

Should be an interesting run with a quick 5k in the middle.

I'm just turning up for the pint after 2 weeks off drinking. Running to KA will be a warm up, the next 3 miles could break all records and the run in will be like wearing a suit of armour.
5k into the wind + 5k with the wind = 10k with no wind.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

While the physics of this may well be correct, I have to say that in my experience the extra oomph I get from running with a strong wind behind me goes nowhere near compensating (in terms of either speed or energy consumed) for the difficulty of running into the same wind for the same distance.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
While the physics of this may well be correct, I have to say that in my experience the extra oomph I get from running with a strong wind behind me goes nowhere near compensating (in terms of either speed or energy consumed) for the difficulty of running into the same wind for the same distance.

100% this..........try doing the Edinburgh marathon....

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I'm just turning up for the pint after 2 weeks off drinking. Running to KA will be a warm up, the next 3 miles could break all records and the run in will be like wearing a suit of armour.

I shall be capitalising on this sort of theorising to explain my likely feeble final time tomorrow. I shall be bringing chocolate cake if anyone wants some - will be wearing all black, got a face like the biggest **** you've ever seen. Enjoy, fellow runners. Anyone know how many people are taking part?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

= no wind at all. That means my lungs after struggling into a headwind. Are you coming to Weatherspoon's?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I shall be capitalising on this sort of theorising to explain my likely feeble final time tomorrow. I shall be bringing chocolate cake if anyone wants some - will be wearing all black, got a face like the biggest **** you've ever seen. Enjoy, fellow runners. Anyone know how many people are taking part?

As we don't know you and Soistes I'll stick on my green and black away shirt. Bald, old,short, Knocky, skinny and grimacing into the wind.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
See you there - usual BHA shorts for me. Will cycle down and happy to meet for coffee and/or beer in Weatherspoons after.
Considering train home if westerly is too strong!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

'Who wants some' LOL [emoji3]

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well, against my better judgement I'm up. The wind is HOWLING. Going to find a North / South route or head to Shoreham via the backroads I think.

Good luck to everyone in the Brookes, you may need it but I hope to be reading tales of tumbling 5k PBs in the middle sector!!

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Just on the way back from the Brooks.

I managed 44:21 according to my Garmin, which is quicker than my 45:01 last year.

Strange because the conditions were far worse.

My splits were in miles and miles 3, 4 and 5 were all sub 7 minutes. Avg pace 7:06.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Just on the way back from the Brooks.

I managed 44:21 according to my Garmin, which is quicker than my 45:01 last year.

Strange because the conditions were far worse.

My splits were in miles and miles 3, 4 and 5 were all sub 7 minutes. Avg pace 7:06.

Oh well played. I managed pretty much the exact same time. Forgot my shorts so the last bit was not fun.

Saw Wesley Eason finish ages ahead of me.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Very annoyed right now, I never got my racepack for today and missed my phone reminder so annoyingly, I've missed the race. Very annoyed right now if I'm honest, pissed off at myself for missing it - poor planning.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I was last home, so far, in latest 5k time x2 +1+5 secs.
45:05. Enjoyed the run, ran at max, room for improvement.
2 pints of London Pride went down well in Wetherspoons. That's why @Bignuts was running fast.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I was last home, so far, in latest 5k time x2 +1+5 secs.
45:05. Enjoyed the run, ran at max, room for improvement.
2 pints of London Pride went down well in Wetherspoons. That's why @Bignuts was running fast.

Not quite the last -- my time was 47:19. Not good compared with the speed merchants on here, but still my best time of the three 10ks I've done since starting running last year (Brooks 2014: 50:38, and BM10k 48:23), and a pretty good time for my 60+ age category. So I'm quite pleased, especially given the conditions, which I found hard, hard, hard... especially the last stretch after the final turn.

As the picture below shows, it seems that my Garmin was also somewhat distressed by the weather!

Screen Shot 2015-11-15 at 13.26.35.png

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
43:09 for me. Was going well for the first half (sub 21 at 5k) but I think I lost best part of a minute after the final turn into the wind.

Impressed by @bignuts and [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] cutting edge ideas around refuelling post race - maybe this is where I have been going wrong.

Roll on the Mince Pie 10 - 3 weeks to go

Just realised this a 10k pb beating Phoenix 10k by about 20 secs so considering the conditions I am pretty pleased.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports