Official Running Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
But my son did over 30 Junior and 20+ 5k park runs until the nazi volunteers banned him for being underage despite me being with sight of him.

!

That’s a bit harsh given that they are volunteers and have rules to follow, generally to ensure everyone’s safety and enjoyment

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Congrats to them, hopefully with any luck they will continue.

But my son did over 30 Junior and 20+ 5k park runs until the nazi volunteers banned him for being underage despite me being with sight of him.

That stopped him from running ever since, hope he goes back to it, but weights are more his thing now.

My daughter did 40 Parkruns and has diverted to football, she is not interested in running any distance at all now.

However, I do hope to persuade her to come out with me to do some pre-season stamina conditioning!

Harsh on people who give up hours of their time for nothing to make sure these events happen week after week. Like any organised running event, the rules are linked to the risk assessment and are a condition of the insurance - if an incident was to happen as a result of the rules not being applied by the volunteers the whole event would be at risk of cancellation.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
That’s a bit harsh given that they are volunteers and have rules to follow, generally to ensure everyone’s safety and enjoyment

… and to add to my point, I ran quite a few PRs in the early days and although I liked to see young kids involved I was always concerned for their safety. I would have felt awful, and probably wouldn’t have taken part again if I had accidentally injured a child.

Junior PR is the answer.

D

Deleted member 2719

Harsh on people who give up hours of their time for nothing to make sure these events happen week after week. Like any organised running event, the rules are linked to the risk assessment and are a condition of the insurance - if an incident was to happen as a result of the rules not being applied by the volunteers the whole event would be at risk of cancellation.

You say harsh, but I thought it was harsh to stop a young lad who loved to run.
He could be arsed to get up early on a Saturday morning, come with his dad and get some exercise.
The guy running it and the sidekick were just being jobsworth IMO.

I was running beside him for weeks until we saw other guys of his age not running with a parent, then one day he beat one of the organisers kids' time and it was brought to their attention.
I explained there was a 43 years age gap and he can run considerably faster than me and I would be keeping an eye on him throughout the course and where I could not see him my wife would be positioned watching.
No common sense was applied. Most of the volunteers do a great job but there is always one that wants to spoil it IMO.

D

Deleted member 2719

… and to add to my point, I ran quite a few PRs in the early days and although I liked to see young kids involved I was always concerned for their safety. I would have felt awful, and probably wouldn’t have taken part again if I had accidentally injured a child.

Junior PR is the answer.

Unfortunately, this was the attitude of adults not wanting the kids to beat them.

Dogs were far more of an injury concern IMO.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You say harsh, but I thought it was harsh to stop a young lad who loved to run.
He could be arsed to get up early on a Saturday morning, come with his dad and get some exercise.
The guy running it and the sidekick were just being jobsworth IMO.

I was running beside him for weeks until we saw other guys of his age not running with a parent, then one day he beat one of the organisers kids' time and it was brought to their attention.
I explained there was a 43 years age gap and he can run considerably faster than me and I would be keeping an eye on him throughout the course and where I could not see him my wife would be positioned watching.
No common sense was applied. Most of the volunteers do a great job but there is always one that wants to spoil it IMO.

In your opinion………but getting licences to operate running events is incredibly and increasingly difficult, organisers can’t and shouldn’t risk losing them.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
26 bones! I demand a recount. That sounds pretty grim, but looking forward to hearing 1500 result. Good luck mate.

For 3 weeks my calf has felt fine but tightened as soon as I started to run. So I stopped running. Today foot felt happy so I ran 6 X400m intervals. On a playing field in clumpy trainers I averaged 6:08 mile pace. Calf feeling wonderful. Hopefully I've now said goodbye to the flexor hallucis longus issue.
Not a wise session but it's the only 1500m for 60+ left this year. All or nothing!

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Just in case anyone is running or pacing the SDW100 today then have a great run. I’ll be helping out at Alfriston aid station overnight.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I've been running (and taking part in races) for nearly 40 years but took part in my first Parkrun last Saturday at Tilgate Park! I was really impressed; it reminded me of how I felt when I first started - it was just a group of all sorts of people enjoying a common pleasure with no pressures. Just brilliant!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Back to a bit of form along the windy Worthing prom today in the 6th birthday of our parkrun. 20.47 got me 24th out of 422. Category win and an age grade of 82.20%.

Good to hear you're finding form again. Worthing has the same start date as the Cavignac Parkrun in SW France. Happy 6th Birthday to both of them.

I'm very hungover today but feel I've finally sorted this foot problem seizing up the calf. Eastbourne here I come.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Made the pilgrimage to Bushy today, after visiting friends in Putney last night.

Lovely course - 1100 runners so 196th is not so bad!

Good to have a chat with a (local) family wearing their BHA gear.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
A bit silly given my injury problems and on the back of a hard 5k yesterday but on a whim entered a 10k in deepest Dorking today. Undulating to the point of hilly and very hot so I was pleased with 44.35 and 2nd place in the old git category. I should add that there was also a 10 mile event at the same time which siphoned off the better runners.

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
A bit silly given my injury problems and on the back of a hard 5k yesterday but on a whim entered a 10k in deepest Dorking today. Undulating to the point of hilly and very hot so I was pleased with 44.35 and 2nd place in the old git category. I should add that there was also a 10 mile event at the same time which siphoned off the better runners.

The 10 miler is the original and part of the Surrey road league, a great race, hope the 10k was nearly as good.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've been running (and taking part in races) for nearly 40 years but took part in my first Parkrun last Saturday at Tilgate Park! I was really impressed; it reminded me of how I felt when I first started - it was just a group of all sorts of people enjoying a common pleasure with no pressures. Just brilliant!

It remains my favourite thing about running. Added bonus of normally seeing a few NSCers at the end of the Hove Park one, but just such a great initiative for runners (and walkers) of every ability. Long may it continue :thumbsup:

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
I know there was some love for the Saucony Endorphin Speeds on here, they have the version 2s reduced to £108 (from £155) and the Pros at £133 (from £190) on the official site, I assume to make way for version 3.

I have some Pros arriving shortly. :dunky:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports