Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Eastbourne Vets meet was fun. I went into it with only 20 miles in 5 weeks and survived injury free but screaming calves. Still can't walk properly.

Warmed up with last place in the javelin with 12 metres but it stuck in the ground!

400m was with fast runners and set off way to fast. 4:50 mile pace, hit the wall at 200m and regressivly slowed to finish well behind the other lane runners. Mentally saving for the 1500m but 1:17 was an average 5:15ish mile pace. Last place.

1500m was a mass start 20 runners with a 4:40 pacer. Felt my way in with 2 laps at the back of the field, realised I was too unfit for a fast finish and at 700m squeezed by 3 runners as one was from my club and without looking round managed to stay 2 seconds in front of them till the end. Gold medal v60 5:58 was 18 seconds down on last year but I think I have a 5:30 in me, if I get a block of training in.

With screaming thighs I ran leg 2 of the mixed 200m relay and felt fast but obviously couldn't put my garmin on. Bronze.

A very enjoyable evening and great to see those super fast runners huffing and puffing from all out exertions.
Are the full results available? Can't find any link on the Sussex Races site.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Are the full results available? Can't find any link on the Sussex Races site.

Screenshot_20220617-202543_Office.jpg

The Arena Gaffer is a Graham Potter man. You find yourself in the 50+ or 60+ . It's about fun, involvement and going all out.

Weakest Link posts passed you by?

Attachments

• Eastbourne Masters Results 15thJune2022 Draft v1 bds.xlsx
    125.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
View attachment 148922

The Arena Gaffer is a Graham Potter man. You find yourself in the 50+ or 60+ . It's about fun, involvement and going all out.

Weakest Link posts passed you by?
Thanks mate. Apologies for not paying attention at the back.
Strapped up the leg and got through a very warm Worthing PR in 20:50, with an age grade of 82%. Suffered by running the 1st km in 4.01 which was silly fast for me.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Thanks mate. Apologies for not paying attention at the back.
Strapped up the leg and got through a very warm Worthing PR in 20:50, with an age grade of 82%. Suffered by running the 1st km in 4.01 which was silly fast for me.

29:30 recovery on the Prom for me. Calves have never been so tight.
If you're up for weakest link you'll need to bring a Worthing team over as you'd now be 5th and we're having recruitment problems due to the short notice. Hope to see you Wednesday Hove Lagoon.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Having joined my local athletics club and training with them on the track since last October, yesterday I had my first ever Veterans League (Western) track races. Prior to this my only track race was a club open 3000m, and typically I'm doing parkruns, etc. So doing a 400m and a 1500m were very new experiences.

Gaffer can we have some new distances added to the table?! :lol:

The too long didn’t read version: Unofficial results:
400M (35-49 B race): 57.7s P1
1500M (35-49 A race): 4:50 - think I was last of As and beaten by 1 B too.

Longer version:
I was signed up to the 400m and 1500m. I was rather apprehensive that the 400m was 30 mins before the 1500m, and knowing me, I didn’t think I’d recover very well from a red line all out effort. While the night was good fun, it was all a bit amateur, they were running late from the very start as I gather the starter was running late. Communication was all a bit lacking. This made warming up a bit awkward as I couldn’t quite work out when I should start it.

The 100m events finished and next up was supposed to be the 3000m SC (steeple chase, you know the ones with a few big hurdles and a water jump), with the 400m after that, so was just about to start my warm up. Then there was the announcement that the water jump was only half full, so they’ve had to change the SC into a straight 3000m, but they will do it at the end of the night. So the 400m was up. Great, my warmup consisted of one lap of the track.

I was in the B race. Checked out the guy for our club in the A race on powerof10 his PB is under 56s (he trains with a different group, I guess the sprinters, so don't know him). Had absolutely no idea what I could do, at training I think my quickest lap is probably ~71s, but that’s generally as part of a set of 12+ reps all trying to hit an even(ish) pace. A sub-60 seemed a very ambitious goal.

I was in lane 5 with 3 guys to my outside, one of which was a club training partner who was a non-scorer. I did a normal standing start and recorded it on the watch. Not sure what the deal with blocks were, some people used them in the A race anyway. The gun went and after the first bend I’d caught my clubmate in lane 8. Stagger for the other 2 outside me remained. Down the back straight caught up with one of the other guys pulling even as I got to the second bend. No sign of anyone inside me. At this point I realised I probably had set off a bit conservatively and tried to pick up the pace. Exited the bend and other guy had quite a gap on me (still no-one inside), probably at least the original stagger remained.

Completely emptied the tank for the final 100m and was slowly reeling him in, and think I pipped him in the final 5m to take the ‘tape’. Stopped my watch for a 57.7s. Delighted to record a sub-60s. Looking at Strava afterwards I think I was the only one in the 400m to have recorded it, comfortably topping the daily chart for the lap segment.

Ate half a banana and then it was time for the 1500m, no real announcement it was starting but could see people starting to gather around the start line. The 35-49 As and Bs lined up together in this one. Start was about 25 mins after my 400m. We lined up, comedy miss-firing gun moment, take a step back and start again. The gun went and I ended up going straight to to front, think the speed and adrenaline from the 400m had a part to play in that. Held the lead for the first 300m until crossing the finish line for the first time at which point I realised I’d set off way too quickly. Checking someone else’s Strava who I think was hitting the lap button suggested 53s for the first 300m. I should point out there was no lap clock.

2 guys came storming past me, felt my pace drop and realised I had 3 laps of pain left. I think mentally I checked out at this point, feeling that the earlier 400m had completely drained me. Gradually others passed me, at least 3, maybe a couple more. At the bell there were a couple of guys 5m ahead. They probably pulled away a little more over the next 200m, at which point I realised there was 200m only to go and I could pick up the pace. I closed the gap slightly, but it wasn’t close.

Stopped the watch on 4:50. Before the night I would have been happy with that, sub-5 was the goal, but with hindsight it was disappointing.

There are 3 more events in the calendar, each with slightly different race options. I think for the remaining events I’ll pick just a single race. Overall I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to the rest of the season. It seems a good mix of competitiveness and fun. I'd definitely recommend people give it a go. Up until last October the only time I'd been on an athletics track was a school sports day. But now I'm really enjoying it, even if every session/race leaves be bend over double.

Had to revisit this as same as my night at Eastbourne except you were a 30 secs and 68 secs quicker!

Pacing wise it seems I got my 1500 right and you the 400 and I screwed up the 400 and you the 1500m.
Pacing really different in both. Reckon harder for me at back of the field seeing an ever increasing gap us demoralising. Hence liking my 4 man isolated tail group in the 1500m.

800 and 3000m at Lewes July 25th up next. Anything else for you?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Despite doing a lot of fitness work week to week, I’ve never been a keen runner except periods of the lockdowns. Did the race for life today and despite some traffic and 0 running training happy with my 26’20.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Gaffer, I'm committed to running 5ks on Saturday and Sunday, so I'll need to check the body on Monday and let you know. Clearly I wouldn't expect you to hold a place for me!

Sorry it was ME that missed this post!

Weakest Link team meet point 6:45 to 7:00 on Prom by Hove Lagoon. 7:15 start.

Team [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] @knocky [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] in reverse order based on current speed and stamina.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Sorry it was ME that missed this post!

Weakest Link team meet point 6:45 to 7:00 on Prom by Hove Lagoon. 7:15 start.

Team [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] @knocky [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] in reverse order based on current speed and stamina.

Sounds good to me. Any particular place on the prom? Outside a particular beach hut, for example?

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Had to revisit this as same as my night at Eastbourne except you were a 30 secs and 68 secs quicker!

Pacing wise it seems I got my 1500 right and you the 400 and I screwed up the 400 and you the 1500m.
Pacing really different in both. Reckon harder for me at back of the field seeing an ever increasing gap us demoralising. Hence liking my 4 man isolated tail group in the 1500m.

800 and 3000m at Lewes July 25th up next. Anything else for you?

Congrats on the 1500m win! I have the 3rd vets league meet tonight which has very similar events to the first one you just quoted, however slightly swapped order. I'm going to do the 100m, 1500m & 400m, so the plan is to try and get the 1500m right this time and then see what I have left for the 400m. Having never done anything under 400m, I have no idea what to expect from the 100m. There is also a 5000m tonight, but I'm not feeling on top form right now and 12.5 laps seems a very long way!

I was gutted to discover that the first event didn't get the required license, so didn't make it on to thepowerof10.

The second meet only had a 2000m walk, 200m & 800m on the track. I decided to only do the 800m to be able to give it my all. Started a bit too conservatively I think and allowed 2 guys to build too much of a gap, I pulled away from the rest of the field ending up in no mans land, but making no impression on the guys ahead, took 3rd in 2:14.1. In hindsight thought I should have done the 200m given the travel involved. Hence doing the 3 events tonight!

After this there's one more vets league fixture at the end of July which sounds like it has similar events to yours with 200m, 800m & 3000m.

D

Deleted member 2719

Madehurst 5k and 10k today in a stunning if very challenging location. I did the 5k which was actually 5.65k. Net effect was a calf strain and thus no Weakest Link for me. Good luck to the NSC team.

I thought about doing the 5K as it's just up the road from me, was it all hills?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I thought about doing the 5K as it's just up the road from me, was it all hills?
It's hilly, but the 10k is worse, I understand.
I got a personal worst 5k time, but that was with the extra and very annoying bit on the end. Even without that it was around my slowest and that was as much to do with the underfoot conditions as the hills. They apologised for the overlong course and said that next year they'll go back to an actual 5k.
I'd recommend it as the location is pretty stunning and there's a good atmosphere.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
The pool has been put up in the back garden of Chateau Orange, chiefly for Littlest to ride her inflatable rainbow unicorn, but it is also excellent for dunking tired legs in after a slow hilly 10k on a hot day. :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 2719

It's hilly, but the 10k is worse, I understand.
I got a personal worst 5k time, but that was with the extra and very annoying bit on the end. Even without that it was around my slowest and that was as much to do with the underfoot conditions as the hills. They apologised for the overlong course and said that next year they'll go back to an actual 5k.
I'd recommend it as the location is pretty stunning and there's a good atmosphere.

Okay, thanks I will need to put some hill action in before then if I do it as, i mainly run on the flat, for pure convenience.

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here