Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
For some reason I thught this had moved to next week, so I did my training plan 7 miles rather than heading to the park, which I could have. Sorry chaps.

Looking on Strava [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] beat another one of my running friends / Strava stalkers by 2 seconds. You were probably next to each other in the funnell.

Sorry I should have reposted. Arena switched the date from today to next week.See you next week maybe?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sorry I should have reposted. Arena switched the date from today to next week.See you next week maybe?

I'll see what I can do. Bits of Christmas Shizzle to do before the game. Would be good to see you guys though. If not that then maybe Worthing on 28th.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Took it fairly easy today - too much pre-Christmas indulgence - for a steady 23 mins.
I make that 45 parkruns for the year to date - so if there is an award for ‘parkrun nerd of the year’, I think that leaves me and @GNT level and looking to share the award?
Good to see you too [MENTION=11716]Penny[/MENTION]’s harmonica and listen to the 2020 triathlon mind games with [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION].

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm honoured to pick up your vote Gaffer! :salute:

Maybe there's scope to break it out into categories? A few suggestions here. I'm sure there's many more up for recognition but I think I have the names rights (trying to match with those on Strava).

Most Improved Runner of the Year - Big Nuts
The Running Machine of the Year - Ninja
International Runner of the Year - Badger
Newcomer of the Year - chaileyjem
Marathoner of the Year - MrBlobby
Returning Runner of the Year - Bozza
The "Going Long" Runner of the Year - dazzer6666

Although perhaps I've over thought this. :lolol:

Not a bad table. It is @GNTs brainchild but I'll also stick in my tuppence worth. My thoughts from memory rather than research.
[MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] improved more than [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] Maybe most consistent performer for the Big man?
Also wonder if [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] could match the internatonal Runner of the year with the Arctic Circle Marathon, Sofia Half and I'm sure a few others.
[MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] definitely has the prestigious award of most runs to bars and Breweries.
Also a number of newcomers and sorry if I leave anyone out: [MENTION=15377]Nathan[/MENTION] @sjamesb3455 ?? ?

I think I may have overthought this....:lolol:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Not a bad table. It is @GNTs brainchild but I'll also stick in my tuppence worth. My thoughts from memory rather than research.
[MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] improved more than [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] Maybe most consistent performer for the Big man?
Also wonder if [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] could match the internatonal Runner of the year with the Arctic Circle Marathon, Sofia Half and I'm sure a few others.
[MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] definitely has the prestigious award of most runs to bars and Breweries.
Also a number of newcomers and sorry if I leave anyone out: [MENTION=15377]Nathan[/MENTION] @sjamesb3455 ?? ?

I think I may have overthought this....:lolol:

Most heart warming run/victory of the year [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] overseas Park Run win at 60+.

I hear major American film directors are bidding for the story. Some have described it as a cross between Cocoon & Chariots of Fire.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I can give you a lift on 28th but we’ll have to be quick it’s a 12:30 ko but doable.

Cheers gaffer. I had forgotten it was early kick off. Will probably depend on child care as youngest will need dropping off at her friend's. I will let you know.

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
On the occasion of my Parkrun 350 this weekend, Phil the Greyhound made his running debut at Hove Park.

What's now very clear is that he is definitely suited to short distances and absolutely not for anything longer as I dragged him round and recorded a new PW of 32.17 :lolol:

Included in this time was one wee stop, one poo stop and many other stops just to look at me as if to say "FFS why are we doing this" and "where's my water"!

There was one demonstration of his potential speed and power when he spotted a squirrel and nearly pulled me over!! :rolleyes:

All good fun though, he barked through the end of the announcements, set his benchmark PB and didn't need much of a walk in the evening :thumbsup:

He'll probably be back down there this weekend too (lucky boy) but going round slightly more sedately with my other half as she completes her 50.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Sounds like you need to train your dog with some lead led runs [MENTION=1508]BenElton'sBrother[/MENTION]! I've thought about getting a dog recently, but I wonder if I'm glamorising the experience a bit. I have this lovely image of the joys of dog ownership, but then you have the downside of clearing up the muck, etc. It's not all a highlight reel!

Talking of not all a highlight reel.. I did a classic 7.5 mile recovery loop this morning from Sea Life Centre to Rottingdean and back again. Out along the top road, back along the Undercliff. I got smashed by 3 waves, each more powerful than the last - it was quite an experience. The last one was magnificent, there were half a dozen people admiring the waves and saw me running along and then get absolutely drowned by this huge wave smashing over the top of the wall. :lolol: The issue I had was that my shorts retained a fair amount of the water so I was struggling to keep them at a reasonable level. I finished the run looking like a proper gangster.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Apologies to [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] for running straight past him this lunch time - I was sprinting along having a nice time shouting at myself (internally!) about form and technique, I was about three quaters through and then a face I recognised ran past and all I could summon up was, "I'm sprinting!". :lolol:

I could only reasonably do 7 miles today, 2 miles warm up, 1 mile fast, 1 mile recovery, 1 mile fast, 2 miles warm down. 5:59 and 5:48 were the fast miles, which is unlike me in training because usually I struggle to match parkrun pace. I think my technique fell of a cliff toward the end of the second sprint mile, but I'll take it. I'll be running Darlington parkrun in my BHAFC Christmas jumper, so I'll be looking to win for the South!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Apologies to [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] for running straight past him this lunch time - I was sprinting along having a nice time shouting at myself (internally!) about form and technique, I was about three quaters through and then a face I recognised ran past and all I could summon up was, "I'm sprinting!". :lolol:

I could only reasonably do 7 miles today, 2 miles warm up, 1 mile fast, 1 mile recovery, 1 mile fast, 2 miles warm down. 5:59 and 5:48 were the fast miles, which is unlike me in training because usually I struggle to match parkrun pace. I think my technique fell of a cliff toward the end of the second sprint mile, but I'll take it. I'll be running Darlington parkrun in my BHAFC Christmas jumper, so I'll be looking to win for the South!

No worries. I could see you were shifting but your technique looks fairly effortless to me. I've not really noticed how efficient you are before now as you're usually nearly a mile ahead :lolol:

I managed 7 miles with a couple of miles at tempo and a couple of half miles at parkrun pace.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
No worries. I could see you were shifting but your technique looks fairly effortless to me. I've not really noticed how efficient you are before now as you're usually nearly a mile ahead :lolol:

I managed 7 miles with a couple of miles at tempo and a couple of half miles at parkrun pace.

:lolol: I'll take that! I'm not entirely sure about my technique, but I've got 1,600 miles in the tank for the year and you can't do that many without a reasonably efficient technique to avoid injuries and keep things ticking over properly. I've done plenty of strengthening work as the year has gone along, which I think is key.

I also did 7 miles today, I've run 200kms almost exactly for the Run Up To Christmas 2019 challenge - 50kms left to run. It's going to get a bit closer than I was expecting, I might need to put in some additional miles on Christmas Day itself to get the milage up.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
:lolol: I'll take that! I'm not entirely sure about my technique, but I've got 1,600 miles in the tank for the year and you can't do that many without a reasonably efficient technique to avoid injuries and keep things ticking over properly. I've done plenty of strengthening work as the year has gone along, which I think is key.

I also did 7 miles today, I've run 200kms almost exactly for the Run Up To Christmas 2019 challenge - 50kms left to run. It's going to get a bit closer than I was expecting, I might need to put in some additional miles on Christmas Day itself to get the milage up.

I groaned around a 45 minute easy run. My word it was hard work. Out last night in Brewdog with the Slovenia trip mob. I lost count of the number of pints both in me and in front of me at one stage. Suffice to say that 9 min miles felt like 7 min miles for the first bit and my technique would probably have best been described as "lumbering".

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Took it fairly easy today - too much pre-Christmas indulgence - for a steady 23 mins.
I make that 45 parkruns for the year to date - so if there is an award for ‘parkrun nerd of the year’, I think that leaves me and @GNT level and looking to share the award?
Good to see you too [MENTION=11716]Penny[/MENTION]’s harmonica and listen to the 2020 triathlon mind games with [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION].

More than happy to share any award. Not sure if I'll add 2 more to my 2019 Parkrun total as I tested my groin strain today and it wasn't good.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
More than happy to share any award. Not sure if I'll add 2 more to my 2019 Parkrun total as I tested my groin strain today and it wasn't good.

Good luck with the injury. I’ve been knocked sideways with some nasty bug but today feel I’m getting somewhere towards recovery. Only run a weak Parkrun in 10 days so Saturday at Hove Parkrun will be hard to judge. 21:30 looks achievable on form. Bit of swimming and favourable SSW wind may get me nearer to the 20:48 needed to beat your silver position. Not hopeful but the legs might be up for it on the day..

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Good luck with the injury. I’ve been knocked sideways with some nasty bug but today feel I’m getting somewhere towards recovery. Only run a weak Parkrun in 10 days so Saturday at Hove Parkrun will be hard to judge. 21:30 looks achievable on form. Bit of swimming and favourable SSW wind may get me nearer to the 20:48 needed to beat your silver position. Not hopeful but the legs might be up for it on the day..

Good luck. My tip is not to try to 'cure' a bad knee and a groin problem by trying to do burpees at the age of 64! I'm desperate to do a Xmas day parkrun and then to have a crack at you and Artie (who must be trembling with fear at the prospect) on 28th but something might have to give.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good luck. My tip is not to try to 'cure' a bad knee and a groin problem by trying to do burpees at the age of 64! I'm desperate to do a Xmas day parkrun and then to have a crack at you and Artie (who must be trembling with fear at the prospect) on 28th but something might have to give.

Think the wine was talking last night. Unlikely to be able to run well after 2 weeks out. Very happy with my swimming regime and was complimented by a woman in her thirties this morning.

My Mr Bean impression of standing on one leg whilst bending and collecting sock from shoe, putting on foot, picking up shoe and putting on had not gone unnoticed.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Think the wine was talking last night. Unlikely to be able to run well after 2 weeks out. Very happy with my swimming regime and was complimented by a woman in her thirties this morning.

My Mr Bean impression of standing on one leg whilst bending and collecting sock from shoe, putting on foot, picking up shoe and putting on had not gone unnoticed.

Bloody hell - no one can fault us for effort!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Latest news for the Boxing Day Test "The conditions of Stuart Broad, Jofra Archer and Jack Leach, all absent from this week's warm-up match, have worsened, while "two to three" other players have also fallen ill".

Reckon they've got what I've had. Neither a cold nor flu but similar to both. Means they'll be as undercooked for the First Test as I will be tomorrow for the Arena Hove Parkrun showdown......

Good SW wind for the parkrun tomorrow, a lovely cooling downpour likely and a good test to see if swimming, as cross training, has any benefits. Not expecting to challenge the fabulous @GNT's AG but should be able to finish sub 22 for a top 10 AG grade for Arena that should give me a top 5 finish in their 2019 Parkrun Series.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Latest news for the Boxing Day Test "The conditions of Stuart Broad, Jofra Archer and Jack Leach, all absent from this week's warm-up match, have worsened, while "two to three" other players have also fallen ill".

Reckon they've got what I've had. Neither a cold nor flu but similar to both. Means they'll be as undercooked for the First Test as I will be tomorrow for the Arena Hove Parkrun showdown......

Good SW wind for the parkrun tomorrow, a lovely cooling downpour likely and a good test to see if swimming, as cross training, has any benefits. Not expecting to challenge the fabulous @GNT's AG but should be able to finish sub 22 for a top 10 AG grade for Arena that should give me a top 5 finish in their 2019 Parkrun Series.

I’m also suffering - will see how I feel in the morning but may be a slow jog if anything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here