Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So how about sharing your greatest achievement(s) and even your biggest disappointment?

Easy one here: just being able to run again. I'd not run since summer 2017 and not properly since mid-2016.

Any day I can get out and cover a few miles, be it on the road by myself or over the Downs with the dog is a massive blessing.

Breaking my 5km, 10km, 10 mile and HM bests in the last few weeks is nice, but I'm never going to be a speed merchant, so I can take or leave the times.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Perhaps we are approaching the time of year to review - NSC Runners' version of Sports Personality of the Year?

So how about sharing your greatest achievement(s) and even your biggest disappointment?

After reading [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] berating his own Parkrun stats, I checked out that I've run 44 of them this year and had category wins in 23. But I've only run 5 other events, including the hugely enjoyable Weakest Link. No real 'peaks', but at least still keeping going which is in itself some sort of achievement.
Biggest disappointment: losing the NSC Age Grade gold - with still time to lose the silver too.

Back on the best thread on NSC for me. Have wasted far too much time on politics. :down:

Probably my best ever year of running, though no time PB. I have, however, completed two marathons, including Beachy Head, set an age grade PB at parkrun, done 1000 miles for the year for the first time ever, completed Phoenix in under 50 minutes and (re) lost about a stone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
For some reason I get emails from an organisation called Sussex Sports Photography.

Anyway, the one that has just arrived has a link to the Mince Pie gallery.

Here it is for those who ran, in case you don't get it from elsewhere: https://uksp.photoshelter.com/galle...gn=Seaford-Mince-Pie-10-2019&utm_source=event

Thanks for them I'd forgotten to look. 21 is having a hard time up those hills.

Perhaps we are approaching the time of year to review - NSC Runners' version of Sports Personality of the Year?

After reading [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] berating his own Parkrun stats, I checked out that I've run 44 of them this year and had category wins in 23. But I've only run 5 other events, including the hugely enjoyable Weakest Link. No real 'peaks', but at least still keeping going which is in itself some sort of achievement.
Biggest disappointment: losing the NSC Age Grade gold - with still time to lose the silver too.

Three strikes and out for me. The first on Saturday looking doubtful with a bug making breathing difficult and constant headaches.

The rest of the year has been enjoyable but not spectacular. Highlights included the Relay Gold I got by fixing the Weakest Link Relay teams and an incredibly highly fought first place in a very competitive Parkrun in Puglia.
My most enjoyable run was 20:54 on the Prom in 45mph westerlies beating Caroline Wood by 5 seconds.

Ran 667 miles this year, the most ever by 1 mile.

D

Deleted member 2719

Back on the best thread on NSC for me. Have wasted far too much time on politics. :down:

Probably my best ever year of running, though no time PB. I have, however, completed two marathons, including Beachy Head, set an age grade PB at parkrun, done 1000 miles for the year for the first time ever, completed Phoenix in under 50 minutes and (re) lost about a stone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like you need to take it easy next year!!

I did the massive amount of 255km, 158 Miles!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Three strikes and out for me. The first on Saturday looking doubtful with a bug making breathing difficult and constant headaches.

The rest of the year has been enjoyable but not spectacular. Highlights included the Relay Gold I got by fixing the Weakest Link Relay teams and an incredibly highly fought first place in a very competitive Parkrun in Puglia.
My most enjoyable run was 20:54 on the Prom in 45mph westerlies beating Caroline Wood by 5 seconds.

Sorry to hear about the bug, but plenty to be proud of in 2019. You also have shown a remarkable propensity to bounce back and hit form very quickly...…...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Get well soon Gaffer, I need you in top form by April.......

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
It sounds like you need to take it easy next year!!

I did the massive amount of 255km, 158 Miles!

I'm built for distance, rather than speed. A 5k is my idea of hell but I'm booked in to two marathons and an ultra for next year already.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Low point would be tripping up near Chanctonbury in August - it ‘kin hurt and I’d been training well up to that point.

Highlights - running 20 miles in France a couple of weeks later and realising I was ok to carry on training, Warsaw marathon - just a really fun weekend and also hitting 250 parkruns.

Comfortably past 1000 miles - I think for the first time.

D

Deleted member 2719

I'm built for distance, rather than speed. A 5k is my idea of hell but I'm booked in to two marathons and an ultra for next year already.

Got it, that explains the distance. I was more of 100 metres and short football sprints of 5 yds!

But I sometimes push myself to a big 6 k!

My idea of hell is 7 k!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Got it, that explains the distance. I was more of 100 metres and short football sprints of 5 yds!

But I sometimes push myself to a big 6 k!

My idea of hell is 7 k!

Football sprints? It won't surprise you to know I was a centre back and walked, headed and kicked my way through all 90 minutes :lol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I think that’s me too, but I enjoyed negative splitting a 4-miler today, finishing with an uphill 7:07 last mile that had me wondering if a 20 minute 5km is in me if I manage to remain injury free.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
My best running year to date. 1,242 miles and counting which is already my highest total by over 100.

PB's at 5k x2, 10k x2 & HM.

Won my first Park Run in June at Bevendean.

Finished last for the very first time in my first track race at Withdean.

Had my first age grading win Sunday at Mince Pie in my new 40-44 age bracket.

Other highlights include:- Running really well at the Hastings HM, finishing the Maverick 23k on the hottest day of the year, The Weakest Link was great fun once again.

The one regret for me is the lack of Park Run's this year. Only 7 in total. Would love to increase that but unlikely at present.

This is a great thread and some really good people post on here.

D

Deleted member 2719

Football sprints? It won't surprise you to know I was a centre back and walked, headed and kicked my way through all 90 minutes :lol:

Haha, I was generally a wing back, so it all makes sense I will stick to my 150 miles a year, and you can do your 1000 miles a year.:lol:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
My best running year to date. 1,242 miles and counting which is already my highest total by over 100.

PB's at 5k x2, 10k x2 & HM.

Won my first Park Run in June at Bevendean.

Finished last for the very first time in my first track race at Withdean.

Had my first age grading win Sunday at Mince Pie in my new 40-44 age bracket.

Other highlights include:- Running really well at the Hastings HM, finishing the Maverick 23k on the hottest day of the year, The Weakest Link was great fun once again.

The one regret for me is the lack of Park Run's this year. Only 7 in total. Would love to increase that but unlikely at present.

This is a great thread and some really good people post on here.

I didn’t realise how wrong I was at the Downland Devil when I said you’d reached the point of decline at 40. Great year and a few more PBs to come before you reach the inevitable.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
3 x 5k PBs for me this year (18:15, 17:56, 17:55), with hopefully a 4th to come on Christmas Day. A Marathon PB as well (3:10:49), and then the 10k PB (37:33) which was required to hold off the Big Fella. I've managed to clock up 1,614 miles for the year so far and should get to 1,700 comfortably. This is a base of fitness ready to push into 2020 and the Brighton Marathon training. I've won 4 parkrun events out of the 39 I've run, which is matching my record in a calendar year for parkrun.

The lowlight is the cancellation of the Leicester marathon after putting so much work in to try and get myself a sub-3 time but I can't complain, given how horrid the conditions would have been had it gone ahead. It's been a year of mostly running highs, after a disappointing 2018. Bring on 2020 and continued participation by the new folks we've picked up in this thread, and the others yet to join (and rejoin!).

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Oh joy!
I felt a bit tired and jaded this morning as I went out for a jog. Apart from the therapy of being out in the elements (beautiful but chilly day), I ran 7.5 miles in a good time and as I was near home a van hooted and I recognised a dear friend as the driver. He was diagnosed as having cancer recently so it particularly good to see him out and about!
Friday the 13th has started on a very happy note - and I really wasn't expecting that.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
2019 has definitely been my best running year to date. My main goal for the year was to train as best I could to try to go sub 3 at Manchester in April. I was lucky enough to safely navigate the biggest volume of marathon training I’ve ever taken on so I was feeling positive but never in my wildest dreams did I think I could go under 2:45 so to dip inside with a 2:44:37 (a 22 minute PB) and secure a Championship place at London 2020 was definitely my greatest personal achievement in running ever. At 42 I’m not sure I’ll be able to beat that but I’m going to have fun trying.

Other highlights this year have to be much improved PB's over 5k, 10k and HM and overall just thoroughly enjoying my running this year (by slowing down :)).

The slight disappointment for me this year was that I was aiming to run 2019 miles in 2019 and was on course for the first half of the year but I stupidly rolled my ankle in a rabbit hole on the school playing field at a parent's football tournament in July which put me on the sidelines with ankle ligament damage for a chunk of time which put paid to reaching that goal, but I'm just over 1,500 miles for the year which is my most ever so not too bad.

Also it would have been great to try to make a NSC Runners meet up so I’ll try harder next year. It would be cool to meet you guys. If I had thought of it sooner I should have asked if any of you were going to be at Arsenal away as I made it to that game. We're down to see my side of the family over Christmas and I'm hoping to sneak off to try out the Worthing parkrun on Dec. 28th so maybe I'll be able to say hello to a couple of you then.

Here's to a happy and healthy year of running in 2020 guys! Just remember, easy miles are the best miles!

Oh and also, we definitely have the best thread on NSC. :thumbsup: Thanks gaffer [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
2019 has definitely been my best running year to date. My main goal for the year was to train as best I could to try to go sub 3 at Manchester in April. I was lucky enough to safely navigate the biggest volume of marathon training I’ve ever taken on so I was feeling positive but never in my wildest dreams did I think I could go under 2:45 so to dip inside with a 2:44:37 (a 22 minute PB) and secure a Championship place at London 2020 was definitely my greatest personal achievement in running ever. At 42 I’m not sure I’ll be able to beat that but I’m going to have fun trying.

Other highlights this year have to be much improved PB's over 5k, 10k and HM and overall just thoroughly enjoying my running this year (by slowing down :)).

The slight disappointment for me this year was that I was aiming to run 2019 miles in 2019 and was on course for the first half of the year but I stupidly rolled my ankle in a rabbit hole on the school playing field at a parent's football tournament in July which put me on the sidelines with ankle ligament damage for a chunk of time which put paid to reaching that goal, but I'm just over 1,500 miles for the year which is my most ever so not too bad.

Also it would have been great to try to make a NSC Runners meet up so I’ll try harder next year. It would be cool to meet you guys. If I had thought of it sooner I should have asked if any of you were going to be at Arsenal away as I made it to that game. We're down to see my side of the family over Christmas and I'm hoping to sneak off to try out the Worthing parkrun on Dec. 28th so maybe I'll be able to say hello to a couple of you then.

Here's to a happy and healthy year of running in 2020 guys! Just remember, easy miles are the best miles!

Oh and also, we definitely have the best thread on NSC. :thumbsup: Thanks gaffer [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]

I should be at the Worthing parkrun on 28th and can pace you...……….(ha, ha!). Seriously, I'd be happy to say hi. So if you post nearer the time we could meet up for me to give you some local intelligence (sic) before you disappear into the distance!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here