Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Has anyone found an alternative to Adrenalines? I’ve been wearing them for years, 2 pairs pa and fancy something different.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Anyone doing Barns Green half marathon on Sunday? Looks like it will be wet and windy. I am hoping for a sub 1:50. May depend on the wind direction though!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
No...definitely get some decent trail shoes. The Downs are a nightmare when wet and you need something suitable. Adrenalines are truly useless on wet chalky mud.

Best I've found generally for me (with wide feet) are the Inov8 range (fantastic grip on things like terraclaw, roclite etc), you could also look at Salomon (too narrow for me though).

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Think you must have skim-read that.

I'm not running in the Adrenalines any more. I was until about a week or so ago, as the trails were dry and they were fine in those conditions.

I'm now using Nike ACG Okwahn II - https://www.nike.com/gb/t/okwahn-ii-shoe-QFXbxW - which I picked up a few months ago and broke in walking the dog to prepare them for running in the Winter months.

Most of my runs look like this, and those inclines can be very slippery when wet!

IMG_0670.jpg

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Anyone doing Barns Green half marathon on Sunday? Looks like it will be wet and windy. I am hoping for a sub 1:50. May depend on the wind direction though!!

Yes, I’ll be there. It’s a lovely race, so hopefully the crap forecast doesn’t impact too much.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Think you must have skim-read that.

I'm not running in the Adrenalines any more. I was until about a week or so ago, as the trails were dry and they were fine in those conditions.

I'm now using Nike ACG Okwahn II - https://www.nike.com/gb/t/okwahn-ii-shoe-QFXbxW - which I picked up a few months ago and broke in walking the dog to prepare them for running in the Winter months.

Most of my runs look like this, and those inclines can be very slippery when wet!

View attachment 115674

LOL.....possibly. I did a March trail marathon in Adrenalines once on the Downs, fell on my arse 5 times.

Lugs on those nikes look inadequate for wet Downs - they’re too big. You’d notice a huge difference with something like this

https://www.inov-8.com/roclite-g-275-mens-graphene-running-shoe

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Ifield today. A really nice little course in the middle of a huge housing estate. Quite fast (flat) but not really PB country as rather too many twists and turns. Highly recommended: all tarmac and easy parking. The only downside is that it's very narrow in places and with a big turnout (fewer than 150 today so OK) would be a bit of a challenge. Anyway: 22.25, a category win and a 74.13% AG. 17th across the line and 5th best on AG.

Michael Rix won it, but he would, wouldn't he.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Another week, another thumping great PB for me! 17:55 around Hove Park, good enough for 2nd place. Disappointed not to have been able to find the additional 6 seconds to take the win, but the guy ahead was pretty comfortable and at the 2 mile mark the comfortable race leader dropped out with a touch of hammy trouble. I was in front from pretty much the starting line to 500 metres when the guy who would go on to win it came past. I had a bit of a battle with the chap in behind to take 2nd but I slaughtered him up the hills on the final lap. I think that if there had been another 100 metres or so, I could have caught the winner but ultimately - 2nd is outrageous, and 17:55 is a second quicker than last week around a tougher course. No parkrun for me next week with the Leicester marathon on the sunday.

6 sub 19s in a row, the last two both being sub 18 and the last 10 have all been sub 20. It's easily the longest run of pace I've ever managed and a massive difference to sixth months ago when I was really struggling to get any pace consistently. A nice 2 hour long run tomorrow and then it's taper week. :thumbsup:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Warsaw Praga for me this morning. Nice run if you are ever in these parts - lots of red squirrels frolicking in the autumnal colours in the shadow of Poland’s national stadium. Just a gentle jog for me which won’t bother the leaderboard, hopefully all ready for the main event tomorrow.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Yes, I’ll be there. It’s a lovely race, so hopefully the crap forecast doesn’t impact too much.

Me too though I was having second thoughts when I initially saw the forecast! Have simply downgraded my expectations to "sub 2 hours" and will be packing a poncho, cap and extra fluffy towel.

My training mate who came to the pub after Phoenix is a late addition (literally siging up on Friday) and is driving me over. We'll be at the village hall quite early to make sure he gets his number.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Another week, another thumping great PB for me! 17:55 around Hove Park, good enough for 2nd place. Disappointed not to have been able to find the additional 6 seconds to take the win, but the guy ahead was pretty comfortable and at the 2 mile mark the comfortable race leader dropped out with a touch of hammy trouble. I was in front from pretty much the starting line to 500 metres when the guy who would go on to win it came past. I had a bit of a battle with the chap in behind to take 2nd but I slaughtered him up the hills on the final lap. I think that if there had been another 100 metres or so, I could have caught the winner but ultimately - 2nd is outrageous, and 17:55 is a second quicker than last week around a tougher course. No parkrun for me next week with the Leicester marathon on the sunday.

6 sub 19s in a row, the last two both being sub 18 and the last 10 have all been sub 20. It's easily the longest run of pace I've ever managed and a massive difference to sixth months ago when I was really struggling to get any pace consistently. A nice 2 hour long run tomorrow and then it's taper week. :thumbsup:

Outstanding running :bowdown:

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester

Amazing running. Looks like you are in fine form for Leicester next week. I feel like I've peaked to early as I felt amazing 3 weeks ago when I did the 10 mile race but feel I've struggled since then with some really tired runs.

Am off out now for a 10 mile run at whatever speed feels comfortable as I don't want to over do it with only a week before the big day. What would you do tapering wise this week? Want to go to my running club night on Tuesday and will pick the shortest (approx 5-6 mile) route and a slow group but was also thinking of a slow 5k on Thursday. Does that sound about right for race week to you?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
1.52.46 for me at a surprisingly dry Barns Green. Absolutely loved the course, a proper runners course that never seems to be flat (though could have done without the half mile stretch that was narrow, muddy trail, stuck behind people slipping and stopping). Friendly, well organised, family event that will be top of my "must re-enter" list in 2020. Caught up with [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] at the start.

Last edited:

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
1:48 something for me which will be a PB round there for me. I found the rolling hills a killer this year and was dying over the last mile. The hill from mile 9 to 10, although gentle, took it out of me. Rain did hold off although the car parks (fields) were deteriorating rapidly. Gave the Chelsea tractor drivers a chance to demonstrate their skills.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Well done to the Barns Green gang, [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION], [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION], [MENTION=6740]Pondicherry[/MENTION] (and welcome to the thread!) and [MENTION=18282]Left Back[/MENTION] - not to mention [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] for his performance at the Warsaw Marathon in sunny Poland. :bowdown: Another strong week from the running gang!

Amazing running. Looks like you are in fine form for Leicester next week. I feel like I've peaked to early as I felt amazing 3 weeks ago when I did the 10 mile race but feel I've struggled since then with some really tired runs.

Am off out now for a 10 mile run at whatever speed feels comfortable as I don't want to over do it with only a week before the big day. What would you do tapering wise this week? Want to go to my running club night on Tuesday and will pick the shortest (approx 5-6 mile) route and a slow group but was also thinking of a slow 5k on Thursday. Does that sound about right for race week to you?

I hope so - but you really never know until the start line!

I think that I'm a bit of an anomaly compared to others on the thread, I don't really taper as such. I won't run at particularly high tempo this week, but I'll do a 10-12 miler on wednesday or thursday, depending on how I feel. I felt a bit heavy today and the pace of the parkrun hasn't been the wisest thing before my long runs on a sunday. But I'm confident I'll be able to perform next sunday and we'll see how it goes.

My intention is to run the standard 7 miles easy tomorrow, tuesday will be a massively ramped down pace session to be determined after the run tomorrow. Wednesday will probably be 7 miles easy with the longer run on thursday and nothing on friday barring potentially a morning swim. Saturday will be my first non-parkrun for months but I will do 20/30 minutes at a steady pace. I've run 60 miles this week but have been averaging 50 for the last 4/5, it's also my 10th marathon and third of the year, so I've got a good sense of what works for me. I wouldn't recommend you have a schedule anything like mine this week, the work is done at this point and that last thing you want to do is go out on thursday for a 4/5 mile easy run and feel like it's all you can manage. Maranoia is just as strong for a Half. Definitely go to the club night and the thursday 5k sounds like a good idea to me - just enough to get your blood pumping and hopefully boost your confidence a bit.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Has anyone found an alternative to Adrenalines? I’ve been wearing them for years, 2 pairs pa and fancy something different.

Yes, I've been wearing Adrenaline for about 10 years now and haven't been able to get on with anything else until now.
Currently in Brooks Ghost.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Some great running this weekend, well played chaps !

Went up on the Downs this morning for a bit.....Christ it was HORRIFIC. Not sure I’ve experienced a rain/wind combo like that before - rain was properly stinging. We decided to wimp out a bit and dropped back off the ridge for a bit of shelter from the wind for some of the time. Grim.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Some fine effforts all round from the NSC running collective.

From 5k to marathon this weekend, we’ve had a full array of times, pb’s and distances.

Very happy to have grabbed a much sought after gold medal at Barns Green today. It had eluded me for 3 years. First year finished 101st to miss out by a place. 2nd year finished 65th but they changed to only top 50 and this year finished 49th.

6 seconds slower than last year but the conditions were tougher, so reasonably pleased.

I tend to find my half marathon range by Brighton and Hastings. Barns Green & Worthing help me do this.

Next race Arena 80 for the showdown with [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] bookies have me a wide 6/1 underdog which seems reasonable after his two back to back 5k PB’s.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Some great running in some shocking weather this weekend :)

And now some news from the Junior Park Run Front. Well, after being spoilt with a beautifully mellow late-summer, autumn certainly blew in with a vengeance this morning. The filthy weather led me to be fairly hopeful that the childen would want to give JPR a swerve but with their '50 Runs' wristbands just couple of events away, they were adamant they wanted to go, regardless. Despite of getting soaked, I'm glad we did as they were rewarded with some great results. My 8 year old son finished 5 overall and my 10 year old daughter grabbed her fourth 'first placed female' placing. Admittedly, a thinner field than normal due to the weather I guess, but still 60-ish runners and I'm pleased for them that their determination to get up and get out there was rewarded.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Keep them going [MENTION=600]Bry Nylon[/MENTION] - it's so good for them from a physical perspective, but also from a social perspective. Don't let your little lady get too confident though! :thumbsup:

For me, I've got Leicester Marathon to think about, and then it's both eyes on the 10k battle with [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION]. In a way, the Marathon training schedule has been with one eye on the Arena 80ac 10k in the longer term. I needed to do something drastic to get back on par with the big fella. I've exceeded expectations in every way to this point - but that's another day. I will have my plan in place for that day, and after that I will be starting the long range planning for Brighton Marathon 2020 but in the shorter term I'll be having a real go at beating [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] for overall 5k PB. Preston Park on Christmas Day remains my 5k PB aim. Not that I'm getting carried away... Also worth noting I'll be wanting to have a really good go at the Worthing and Hastings Half Marathons in 2020, all being well!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here