Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Magnificent pace [MENTION=1178]Richy_Seagull[/MENTION] - you'll really feel the benefit. You out for a parkrun on saturday?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hallelujah! I've just done 5 miles at 9.45 pace. I'm up and running again. Should be able to just finish my half marathon in 16 days time.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Magnificent pace [MENTION=1178]Richy_Seagull[/MENTION] - you'll really feel the benefit. You out for a parkrun on saturday?

Ashamed to admit I’ve never actually done an official park run, always just set off and found my own routes, but there is one at Richmond Park which is very near me so I should head up there for an “official time”!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Ashamed to admit I’ve never actually done an official park run, always just set off and found my own routes, but there is one at Richmond Park which is very near me so I should head up there for an “official time”!

Absolutely - go and get bitten by the parkrun bug, but make sure you register first and print off a barcode - https://www.parkrun.org.uk/

Not sure where I'll be this saturday, I'm tempted by an annual trip to Peacehaven but my bike is currently temporarily out of action and I have very little petrol left in the car - so that's ruling that one out! It'll probably be run number 56 for me at Hove Park, try and beat my 18:43 curse.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
London Marathon ballot, apparently you can log into your realbuzz account and if there is a bib number you are in. Not sure how true it is, but if you have a bib number the signs look good. They don't look good for me!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Absolutely - go and get bitten by the parkrun bug, but make sure you register first and print off a barcode - https://www.parkrun.org.uk/

Not sure where I'll be this saturday, I'm tempted by an annual trip to Peacehaven but my bike is currently temporarily out of action and I have very little petrol left in the car - so that's ruling that one out! It'll probably be run number 56 for me at Hove Park, try and beat my 18:43 curse.

I'm planning to try the newest (and 20th) one in the Sussex stable, Ifield, and thereby retain my unchallenged status as the thread's Parkrun slut. Will report back

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
These interval runs, are you being guided by Strava on when you finish the intervals or are you simply running from marker to marker somehow.

Does that even make sense?

I currently run using natural intervals, ie hills, but am interested in getting my speed up.

Ta!

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
These interval runs, are you being guided by Strava on when you finish the intervals or are you simply running from marker to marker somehow.

I currently run using natural intervals, ie hills, but am interested in getting my speed up.

Ta!

I have a Garmin watch (vivoactive 3), you can create a workout on the app and then send it to watch. It vibrates at the end if every interval :thumpsup:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I have a Garmin watch (vivoactive 3), you can create a workout on the app and then send it to watch. It vibrates at the end if every interval :thumpsup:

Thought the answer might be pricey! Might head down the bike track at Preston Park for a more manual, but more boring, session.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm planning to try the newest (and 20th) one in the Sussex stable, Ifield, and thereby retain my unchallenged status as the thread's Parkrun slut. Will report back

How many individual courses? I'll re-dedicate my life to catching your number of individual parkruns. :thumbsup:

Ta!

I use a Garmin Forerunner 10, which was relatively cheap at £80. It has a laps feature so I can lap it when I've done the distance I want to. I can't do anything as fancy as [MENTION=1178]Richy_Seagull[/MENTION] - although that does sound quite ideal. [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] has a more advanced watch than mine as well, I think data during a run is important but not crucial. If you're doing a specific speed/distance session then it is, but sometimes you just want to run without worrying too much about pace and distance.

Thought the answer might be pricey! Might head down the bike track at Preston Park for a more manual, but more boring, session.

Preston Park's parkrun 1km points are actually well marked out on the ground. The start line is a yellow line across the ground just south of the cafe, 1km is after the turning point (also marked on the path), on your left hand side. The 2km mark is the bin just south of the starting line, 3km is along the straight next to Preston Road (it is marked on the left and right hand side of the path), 4km is marked on the left hand side before the turning point and 5km is the white finishing line. If you know the course well, you'll know the points - if not, check out the website parkrun.org.uk/prestonpark - it's helpful.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
How many individual courses? I'll re-dedicate my life to catching your number of individual parkruns. :thumbsup:

I use a Garmin Forerunner 10, which was relatively cheap at £80. It has a laps feature so I can lap it when I've done the distance I want to. I can't do anything as fancy as [MENTION=1178]Richy_Seagull[/MENTION] - although that does sound quite ideal. [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] has a more advanced watch than mine as well, I think data during a run is important but not crucial. If you're doing a specific speed/distance session then it is, but sometimes you just want to run without worrying too much about pace and distance.

Preston Park's parkrun 1km points are actually well marked out on the ground. The start line is a yellow line across the ground just south of the cafe, 1km is after the turning point (also marked on the path), on your left hand side. The 2km mark is the bin just south of the starting line, 3km is along the straight next to Preston Road (it is marked on the left and right hand side of the path), 4km is marked on the left hand side before the turning point and 5km is the white finishing line. If you know the course well, you'll know the points - if not, check out the website parkrun.org.uk/prestonpark - it's helpful.

Forgive me as I'm not totally sure*. But this one will be a valuable addition to my 'alphabet' and assuming I do it I'll only be missing a D, J. O, and V (I'm writing off and X and Z, as they would doubtless mean following [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] east of the Iron Curtain)
* tomorrow will be 35th under my 'current' registration, but in the early days I also ran a couple of others where I cocked up and didn't get them 'clocked'...so I think about 38 different courses, inc all 20 Sussex ones.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Thanks!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Forgive me as I'm not totally sure*. But this one will be a valuable addition to my 'alphabet' and assuming I do it I'll only be missing a D, J. O, and V (I'm writing off and X and Z, as they would doubtless mean following [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] east of the Iron Curtain)
* tomorrow will be 35th under my 'current' registration, but in the early days I also ran a couple of others where I cocked up and didn't get them 'clocked'...so I think about 38 different courses, inc all 20 Sussex ones.

Sounds to me like you need to get to Darlington! :thumbsup:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
This is assuming it starts in 8 days time? Sorry - couldn't resist. You can get your revenge when you are back to full fitness and burn me up in a 5k.

I will use that as motivation for my December Parkruns!
Although not quite an old sage as you I am old enough to know what’s best for my body. Slow miles to enable me to get the mileage up. Distance over speed. I need to get some miles in the legs before upping the pace.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I will use that as motivation for my December Parkruns!
Although not quite an old sage as you I am old enough to know what’s best for my body. Slow miles to enable me to get the mileage up. Distance over speed. I need to get some miles in the legs before upping the pace.
'
Yes: pin it on the wall of the dressing room. I also know what's good for my body. I just don't do it! You do have remarkable powers of 'bounce-back ability.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Yes - I went there and walked through that lovely park. But it was a Tuesday, unfortunately.

I can honestly say it's one of my favourites. No cone turns (although there is a sharp turn past the wooden squirrel to run up a short sharp hill), and long sweeping paths. It's very Hove Park-esque in the layout. I'm a big fan - and I'll be back there in December. Colin beware!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What's the view on the grip decent trail shoes should give you?

On most of my runs there are inclines of hard and compressed chalky mud. When it's dry, it's fine but as soon as it gets a bit wet, and before full Winter bog conditions, it's absolutely treacherous - like an ice rink.

I've just started using some Nike ACG Okwahn II for my trail runs, as it's not too wet for my old knackered road Brooks Adrenaline 15s (bought in Jan 17) and they're generally decent, but still slippery on the conditions I mention above.

Am I expecting too much, and it's just a matter of taking care?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What's the view on the grip decent trail shoes should give you?

On most of my runs there are inclines of hard and compressed chalky mud. When it's dry, it's fine but as soon as it gets a bit wet, and before full Winter bog conditions, it's absolutely treacherous - like an ice rink.

I've just started using some Nike ACG Okwahn II for my trail runs, as it's not too wet for my old knackered road Brooks Adrenaline 15s (bought in Jan 17) and they're generally decent, but still slippery on the conditions I mention above.

Am I expecting too much, and it's just a matter of taking care?
No...definitely get some decent trail shoes. The Downs are a nightmare when wet and you need something suitable. Adrenalines are truly useless on wet chalky mud.

Best I've found generally for me (with wide feet) are the Inov8 range (fantastic grip on things like terraclaw, roclite etc), you could also look at Salomon (too narrow for me though).

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here