Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

woodster

Jul 18, 2003
i would say to get quicker......it helps, maybe, to get on the hills for some of your longer runs. Running a flat (ish) course marathon will feel a lot less daunting if you have done 18-20 mile hilly training runs. It also helps to do interval training and running outside your normal comfort zone. But fundamentally the faster you want to go, the heavier the mileage needs to be. But with that comes a greater risk of injury, bit of a catch 22. What works for one individual may not be so good for another.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Can anybody recommend a good training book - already applied for brighton and in London ballot - want to break 4 hours ?

If you subscribe to RunnersWorld not only do you get the monthly mag through your letter box you get access to the training plans on their website. They have a wide selection of detailed 16 week training plans for all times, abilities and level of weekly training commitment. Pick a 4 hour plan which suits and stick to it. They also advise on the base level of fitness you need to enter the 16 week plan so you'll need to build up to this as well. Again, you can pick another plan to get to this. I find them excellent and the mag is not a bad read either.

Also, post questions on here as you'll get help and support along the way.

Good luck.

Totally agree with HT on this one. I subscribe to Runners World and find it excellent. I also agree about posting q's on here, I have learnt loads. This year has been about how to go quicker!

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
52, yikes. Good luck. Also good luck to Lord Bamber tomorrow on the last leg of his marathon quartet.

Thanks HT. North Dorset tamed. :lol:

3hrs 51 - another new PB.

A well earned rest for a few weeks before deciding what challenge next.

Thanks to everyone and their support.

Good luck to Steve Foster at Richmond.

Happy Running all. :thumbsup:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
well done LB!

Three Forts Marathon today, just a tad muddy in places.

3.14.35, fastest time for 27.2 miles and fasted off road marathon. Pleased with that!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Can anybody recommend a good training book - already applied for brighton and in London ballot - want to break 4 hours ?

A really excellent book is Advanced Marathonning by Pfitzinger & Douglas..

Schedules for different mileages/ no of runs per week, and goes into great detail about why to do different types of runs!

Reccomended by Bob!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
37 miles on the South Downs Way on friday.
My last big run/recce before the SDW100.
I should be approaching the finish line exactly 5 weeks from now!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just out of interest, is triathlon talk welcome on this thread (I didn't want to venture into cycling geek land)? I'm doing a few to supplement the running in preparation for Brighton Marathon next year, and I'd be interested to know if others have done, or are doing, the same...

Don't get me wrong, I love running (and have covered 350km since getting back into it properly in April), but there something about a triathlon that really appeals, not that my swimming is the strongest.

Cheers all.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Just out of interest, is triathlon talk welcome on this thread (I didn't want to venture into cycling geek land)? I'm doing a few to supplement the running in preparation for Brighton Marathon next year, and I'd be interested to know if others have done, or are doing, the same...

Don't get me wrong, I love running (and have covered 350km since getting back into it properly in April), but there something about a triathlon that really appeals, not that my swimming is the strongest.

Cheers all.

Well I dont object and I would love some swimming training advice if there is any going.

Happy training.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I want to get a running watch which will tell me how far I have run and the speed (minutes per mile) I'm running. Any recommendations?

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
I want to get a running watch which will tell me how far I have run and the speed (minutes per mile) I'm running. Any recommendations?

I have the GARMIN Forerunner 305. It has GPS and a heart rate monitor. Very happy with it. Other watches will do what you want for less money though. GARMIN have other models.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Any NSC'ers doing the Phoenix 10k tonight on Hove Prom?

Looks rubbish weather. Was looking forward to a nice summers evening...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have the GARMIN Forerunner 305. It has GPS and a heart rate monitor. Very happy with it. Other watches will do what you want for less money though. GARMIN have other models.

Thanks for this. I went for a Garmin Forerunner 210 in the end. I am picking it up tonight. I have also just started my marathon training; two days in after 6 months getting my base level fitness back. It was a grind this morning.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Thanks for this. I went for a Garmin Forerunner 210 in the end. I am picking it up tonight. I have also just started my marathon training; two days in after 6 months getting my base level fitness back. It was a grind this morning.

Excellent. I've been really happy with mine. The Garmin Connect website is great too. connect.garmin.com

Good luck with the training. The watch and the website will really help with tracking your progress. I'm in the third week of training for the Barns Green Half. Hoping for 01.39 or better. PB for half is 01.50 and 01.55 for Barns Green.

Last edited:

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Hi runners,

Am currently in the Lake District & about to go for a short run.
On Sunday I am popping over to the Isle of Man to run my 54th marathon.
My personal goal is to reach 100 & become a full member of the 100 Marathon Club. A little sad or crazy perhaps but I need a goal !

Keep running.

Isn't it the Lakeland 100 this weekend if you want a goal?!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm in the third week of training for the Barns Green Half. Hoping for 01.39 or better.

All the best. Barns Green is a lovely half marathon. I did it a few years back in glorious sunshine and the scenery is fantastic. The wife then took me for a beer and a roast in a wonderful local country pub; job done!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Any NSC'ers doing the Phoenix 10k tonight on Hove Prom?

Looks rubbish weather. Was looking forward to a nice summers evening...

I was tempted, but having cycled along there yesterday morning and seen the route (sewage works smell wasn't great), and witnessed the wind (strong), I thought better of it. Opted for a 14km run around Shoreham-by-Sea this morning instead.

Did you do it? How did you get on?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Hi runners,

Am currently in the Lake District & about to go for a short run.
On Sunday I am popping over to the Isle of Man to run my 54th marathon.
My personal goal is to reach 100 & become a full member of the 100 Marathon Club. A little sad or crazy perhaps but I need a goal !

Keep running.

Good luck with that, and the quest for 100, SF. Brighton next year will be my second, so I don't think I'll reach those heady heights.

Quite temped to train for the London to Brighton one year. Anyone doing/done that? It's the end of September, and until I read The Ghost Runner, I had no idea that it existed...

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Anyone catch the Panorama documentary on sports gear, drinks etc?
Interesting I thought; especially what they said about running shoes.
Also, I've always worried that I don't drink enough water before a run; not any more!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyone catch the Panorama documentary on sports gear, drinks etc?
Interesting I thought; especially what they said about running shoes.
Also, I've always worried that I don't drink enough water before a run; not any more!

I didn't. What did they say about drinks? I remember reading a scientific article a few years back which cast doubt on most drinks and it suggested they were little better than a glass of orange juice with some salt thrown in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here