Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

woodster

Jul 18, 2003
dehydration is one of those difficult ones......once you feel thirsty it is too late and very difficult to recover during a long run.

take a drink regularly at the water stations....sipping, rather than gulping the lot. make sure you have drunk enough water the day or so leading up to the event...works for me. if you are not properly hydrated at the start you will be hitting problems, especially if it is hot. everyone is different....takes a bit of tinkering with I think.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Congrats to all you guys that did it.

I was down there watching a mate (who was running for AITC). I just couldn't comprehend running that far. Amazing.

Though it has inspired me to go for my first jog in YEARS tonight. I've had a little look on those route calculators and it's 5 miles. I have a feeling i'm going to only make half though and it's basically a circuit twice.

Anyone have any tips of running style when running up a slight incline and then the best thing to do when running 'downhill'. Basically the first mile of the circuit is a slight uphill and that kills me (I remember the pain from a few years back).

I realise 5 miles is nothing to you guys but im quite anxious about doing it later!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Very, very inspiring.

Only manage 3/4 miles runs at the moment but determined to push on and look at maybe a half marathon by the end of the year, and eventually a full 26.2.

I have wondered whether I should aim for a half marathon as a sort of goal....but then I realise I just won't do it as I find it...well....boring

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Very, very inspiring.

Only manage 3/4 miles runs at the moment but determined to push on and look at maybe a half marathon by the end of the year, and eventually a full 26.2.

The Brighton half is in Feb.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I have wondered whether I should aim for a half marathon as a sort of goal....but then I realise I just won't do it as I find it...well....boring

See a half marathon as part of your training for the ultimate goal of a full marathon?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
See a half marathon as part of your training for the ultimate goal of a full marathon?

Absolutely. In fact, the Brighton Half Marathon sits very conveniently in the calendar for the Brighton and London 16 week marathon training schedules. In fact, if you can manage to run without stopping for 60-75 minutes by the new year you should be able to push on and complete the Brighton/London marathon 4 months later with no problems.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
First marathon clocked in at 4:20:00 loved nearly every second of it. Felt so strong up until 22/23 miles then it become really tough but managed to grind my way over the line.

Can't wait to register for next year I reckon I can shave 30 seconds per mile of that time.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
It is, on four consecutive Sundays. Its not up there with John Bishop or Eddie Izzard but for me its a challenge and my way of trying desperately to get under 4 hours.

Very best of luck with London on Sunday Lord B! I work in Greenwich and driving across Blackheath tonight thought of your next mission! 3:45?!

Hope the injury has cleared up and you have another great run!

The body is amazing! Couldnt walk down stairs on Tuesday, but feel (relatively) fine now! Still know I couldnt do what you are doing though!

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Very best of luck with London on Sunday Lord B! I work in Greenwich and driving across Blackheath tonight thought of your next mission! 3:45?!

Hope the injury has cleared up and you have another great run!

The body is amazing! Couldnt walk down stairs on Tuesday, but feel (relatively) fine now! Still know I couldnt do what you are doing though!

Finished in 4.28 today. Took it fairly easy to make sure I have something left for next few weeks and also to try and give the injury a kind of rest. Nearly did a Paula but managed to find a toilet which was very needed.

Thanks to you and all the other excellent posters on here for their encouragement, really appreciated.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Finished in 4.28 today. Took it fairly easy to make sure I have something left for next few weeks and also to try and give the injury a kind of rest. Nearly did a Paula but managed to find a toilet which was very needed.

Thanks to you and all the other excellent posters on here for their encouragement, really appreciated.

Well done!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Having had a year off after my first- and what I SWORE would be my only- marathon in 2011, the temptation has got too great and I've somehow found myself entering the ballot for the 2013 London marathon. Knowing that it's about a one in eight shot that I'll get a place, I've also entered Brighton again- figured I can always defer one of the places if by some miracle I get into London.

Funny how my selective memory has kicked in and the brilliant atmosphere of the day and sense of achievement is what's sticking in my mind, as opposed to the many hours spent on long, lonely, wet and cold training runs :facepalm:

Ran 5:12 last time, approximately ten minutes of which was spent in a queue for a toilet at Ovingdean, so I'm very hopeful that with a bit of experience now, a better training schedule (ha!) and bit more planning on the toilet stop front, I'll be able to knock half an hour or so off that. Probably unrealistic, but hey, that's why we do it, right? Really, I just want my time to start with a 4, not a 5...

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Ran 5:12 last time, approximately ten minutes of which was spent in a queue for a toilet at Ovingdean, so I'm very hopeful that with a bit of experience now, a better training schedule (ha!) and bit more planning on the toilet stop front, I'll be able to knock half an hour or so off that. Probably unrealistic, but hey, that's why we do it, right? Really, I just want my time to start with a 4, not a 5...

Quite possible.

My three Brighton Marathons have been 6h 5m, 5h 25m, 4h 35m. Don't forget that knocking half an hour off your time is a full minute off every mile. If it's a case of being able to run further before the mega-fade, then it's not so bad, but once you can run at a constant pace, quickening by a minute a mile is a big difference!

I'll not be trying to beat my latest time next year..........

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Good on you Edna.

Your goal is not unrealistic and I am sure with the experience of having run one before, you will knock some time off. Selective memory is what runners get by on isnt it? Invest in a good training schedule, couple it with determination and you will achieve.

Best of luck, I hope you finish with the time starting with a 4 instead of a 5.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Good on you Edna.

Your goal is not unrealistic and I am sure with the experience of having run one before, you will knock some time off. Selective memory is what runners get by on isnt it? Invest in a good training schedule, couple it with determination and you will achieve.

Best of luck, I hope you finish with the time starting with a 4 instead of a 5.

How was mk LB

at least you weren't doing shakespeare!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here