Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hah ! No sprint finish at my age/fitness level. I don't get warmed up until after 2 hours.......

Will look out for you. Not done HP before but sure I'll find my way. Do I have to wear colours then ? Might try to drag junior along as well.....

I am only wearing the shirt so you can identify us. It's up to you. If Junior drags you along, do you know the rules? U-11 must be arms length from accompanying adult. Obviously I don't know his age or speed. @ Simgull could give you more info. If needed.

Good running @Guiness Boy I was finding the run into that wind very difficult. I was out at 5 and it was a right hooley.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I am only wearing the shirt so you can identify us. It's up to you. If Junior drags you along, do you know the rules? U-11 must be arms length from accompanying adult. Obviously I don't know his age or speed. @ Simgull could give you more info. If needed.

Good running @Guiness Boy I was finding the run into that wind very difficult. I was out at 5 and it was a right hooley.

No worries, have done parkruns, just not Hove. 'Junior' is 17 and beat me the last couple of times........but I'd like to put one over on him. Failing that, he can bloody well walk home after.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Impressed you've all been taking on the wind, it's been bad enough cycling to the station let alone running. Been sticking with the treadmill this week - had forgotten how boring that is! See you Saturday.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Impressed you've all been taking on the wind, it's been bad enough cycling to the station let alone running. Been sticking with the treadmill this week - had forgotten how boring that is! See you Saturday.

Yesterday was horrendous....I did a 7/3 fartlek for an hour, really struggled with it. Luckily was short of time today so work treadmill and Judge Rinder it was [emoji3]

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I can no longer make Saturday unfortunately. Forgot I'm out watching the Super Furry Animals at Brixton Friday, so won't be in a well condition the following morning.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

The gym in my hotel was very close to my room so I had an easy option this morning had I wanted to take it, but I've not used a treadmill for a long time so decided I was going out regardless of the weather.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I saw a break in the rain so whipped out for a tempo run around my 4.8 mile loop. 6:50 minute miles got me home before the heavens opened again.

Must remember to stretch...

Well done everyone for braving the weather.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've not been out in this weather - that's madness. Friday morning will probably be my next outing.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I saw a break in the rain so whipped out for a tempo run around my 4.8 mile loop. 6:50 minute miles got me home before the heavens opened again.

Must remember to stretch...

Well done everyone for braving the weather.

I must answer your request to virtually run Hove Park with us. On one hand you can virtually do it as the ethos is for each runner to run to the best of their ability on a given day. This Saturday is a fun day and the big day is 13th June when we be fully recovered from the marathon, etc. so build up to the second with a PB in mind.
However, on the other hand your times look too fast. So on that basis you have to stay in a virtual Challenge of your own. :)
Keep us posted as it will be a good comparison and next season or earlier you can always set a date when your in Hove.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
On the subject of Parkruns, I was talking to some of the volunteers at Preston Park on Saturday, one of whom mentioned a plan to start a new Parkrun on the seafront (starting at Hove Lawns?) sometime over the summer. Not really a 'park' run, clearly, but just wondered whether anyone on here had heard about this and whether there was any truth in the rumour?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
On the subject of Parkruns, I was talking to some of the volunteers at Preston Park on Saturday, one of whom mentioned a plan to start a new Parkrun on the seafront (starting at Hove Lawns?) sometime over the summer. Not really a 'park' run, clearly, but just wondered whether anyone on here had heard about this and whether there was any truth in the rumour?

That would be great closer to home and flat. Only negative is that it could well dilute fields at PP & Hove Park as 3 Park Runs in a 2 mile radius seems quite a lot.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
That would be great closer to home and flat. Only negative is that it could well dilute fields at PP & Hove Park as 3 Park Runs in a 2 mile radius seems quite a lot.

That's what I thought - my guess is that quite a lot of people who run at PP and HP would prefer and/or live closer to a seafront run. Having said that the major disadvantage of the seafront one would be parking; there's quite a few people drive to PP and HP, some from out of town. Be interesting to see what the total potential catchment for parkruns in brighton and hove actually is -- personally, I think they'd be better starting one in somewhere like Worthing - very odd that there's nothing there.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Yes, have heard - planning on starting sometime in teh summer - referenced on here (Apr 19th posting). Should be a fast one.......
http://www.parkrun.org.uk/brighton/news/

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Yep, I can confirm that Hove Promenade parkrun is in the pipeline.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

A summer swim afterwards would be nice. I will ask them on Saturday, if I remember. My Parkrun pb, 19.33, was on the Seafront. 6 years back they had a special Sunday Hove Parkrun on the prom to coincide with The Paddle Round the Pier Festival. I built up for the flat course but only took 12 seconds of from Hove despite perfect conditions. Maybe the hill is not as bad as I think.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Yep, I heard about this a while ago, and then someone mentioned it to me on Saturday. Starting in late June, I think.

The thing is, BN, I'm not sure it WILL be a negative.

Before PP parkrun existed, the runners at HP were around the number that there are now – after an initial drop off from people transferring to the new one. The thing is, parkrun's becoming more and more popular (aren't there about 800 people across the two runs? Not to mention junior parkrun, which starts next weekend, I think), so to sustain the amount of runners it's almost as if B&H needs another one. The volunteer numbers couldn't cope with many more people - the position tags alone only go up to 550-odd at HP.

I don't think we've/they've got anything to worry about – I can easily see 500+ at each one in the not to distant future.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yes, have heard - planning on starting sometime in teh summer - referenced on here (Apr 19th posting). Should be a fast one.......
http://www.parkrun.org.uk/brighton/news/

I couldn't find that but found this and found it very touching.
"Brendan Spellman ran his 50th parkrun at Hove Park on Saturday? What’s so great about that, I hear you say? Load of people have run 50 parkruns. For Brendan, this is a massive achievement. In 2011 he came to the south of England and through a combination of circumstances ended up as an alcoholic, living rough on the streets of Brighton. Emmaus, the homeless charity, helped him get back on his feet, but he had another episode and once again was back living rough, drinking and life seemed hopeless. Val is one of our regular parkrunners, and she rescued Brendan from where he was living under the pier, brought him back to live at Emmaus and eventually coaxed him along to try out a parkrun. That was in December 2012 and he is now working at Emmaus, has completed 50 parkruns, he trained for and completed Brighton half Marathon this year, and wants to do London Marathon next year and raise money to help people like himself."

Brilliant stuff!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
That's what I thought - my guess is that quite a lot of people who run at PP and HP would prefer and/or live closer to a seafront run. Having said that the major disadvantage of the seafront one would be parking; there's quite a few people drive to PP and HP, some from out of town. Be interesting to see what the total potential catchment for parkruns in brighton and hove actually is -- personally, I think they'd be better starting one in somewhere like Worthing - very odd that there's nothing there.

Living in Shoreham-by-Sea, a Worthing one would be closer (and makes a lot of sense), but I'd stay loyal to Hove Park. I did get into a conversation about starting one in Buckingham Park here, but anything like that is a LONG way off. Would be a tough course as well - big hill.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Whilst on the subject of Parkruns, who has done the most? Greg Bobkin? I only did 5 or 6 a year but since Waitrose opened in the Co-op building found the offer of a free Saturday paper with an early morninng shop fitted in nicely with Parkrun and my tightness (£2.50 to do a parkrun). This got me into a routine and now have 42 runs with the 50 coming up this June.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Whilst on the subject of Parkruns, who has done the most? Greg Bobkin? I only did 5 or 6 a year but since Waitrose opened in the Co-op building found the offer of a free Saturday paper with an early morninng shop fitted in nicely with Parkrun and my tightness (£2.50 to do a parkrun). This got me into a routine and now have 42 runs with the 50 coming up this June.

Saturday will be my 148th. Target is to run my 250th on my 40th birthday in March 2018.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here