Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
First bit of speedwork for ages yesterday.....3 x 1 mile intervals. Absolutely died on my arse and got progressively worse - 6.26, 6.45 and 6.55 (only had 2 min recoveries between each). :nono::nono:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Seriously - is 10km generally the least favourite distance?!?

5k - hard, but over quite quickly. Try not to puke.
HM - as long as your endurance is OK it's not too unpleasant
M - as HM, but slightly more relaxed
Ultra - plod along to the next Aid Station, have a bit of food and drink, repeat

10k - run like a 5k for twice as long

****ing right it is :lolol::lolol::lolol:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Oh dear - you won’t make many friends on this thread with that kind of comment. About as popular as buying a bike. :lolol::lolol:

Enter an Olympic triathlon and you get to ride your bike AND run a 10k!

Seriously - is 10km generally the least favourite distance?!?

Yes, for largely the reason that Dazzer described. I can generally muster a pretty good pace for five miles, but the last one I'm hanging on in there. I'm sure I could train to be able to do a pretty decent 10k time, but I just don't have the desire to put myself – or my body – through it :lolol:

Give me a trail marathon (even in the snow and biting wind) with decent aid stations over a 10k any day of the week!

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
5k - hard, but over quite quickly. Try not to puke.
HM - as long as your endurance is OK it's not too unpleasant
M - as HM, but slightly more relaxed
Ultra - plod along to the next Aid Station, have a bit of food and drink, repeat

10k - run like a 5k for twice as long

****ing right it is :lolol::lolol::lolol:

Very much this. 5K is pretty grim but atleast you know it'll be over soon. I think my favourite is HM.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I don't mind a 10K but only when in top condition. That was 3-4 years ago [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] No chance at the moment but I could red face out a 5K.

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
Hello folks, my own personal run streak hit two months over the weekend. Still no individual run over 8.5 miles and certainly not getting out there with any great speed, generally between 8's and 9's.
It's enough for me to keep a consistent low weight and cover all the additional wine and seacider deliveries :drink:
The stats are starting to build up though, the run streak after 61 days covered (not be design) a fraction over 400 miles. Total mileage for the month of May was 217 miles, easily the most I've covered in a single month.
My total mileage for the year is now 942 and I'm going to be the first to admit that I'm going to be a wee bit disappointed if I don't beat last years annual mileage record of 1201 :lol:
Stay safe, keep running and I'll see you soon (hopefully)… :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
100% least favourite distance for me. Racing a 10km is hard. Getting it right is an art form.

My preference probably illustrates the difference between a recreational runner and a racer, as I'm certain I'm not "getting it right" by any measure!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Hello folks, my own personal run streak hit two months over the weekend. Still no individual run over 8.5 miles and certainly not getting out there with any great speed, generally between 8's and 9's.
It's enough for me to keep a consistent low weight and cover all the additional wine and seacider deliveries :drink:
The stats are starting to build up though, the run streak after 61 days covered (not be design) a fraction over 400 miles. Total mileage for the month of May was 217 miles, easily the most I've covered in a single month.
My total mileage for the year is now 942 and I'm going to be the first to admit that I'm going to be a wee bit disappointed if I don't beat last years annual mileage record of 1201 :lol:

Great work!

My streak is up to 132 days now, and I've covered 757 miles in that time. I seem to have become pretty consistent around 180 miles/month, with my last three months being 182, 183 and 185.

I do a fair bit of dog walking too - generally another 6-7 miles a day.

Despite this, when I weighed myself on Monday I was the heaviest I've been this year. I'm not massively surprised given the booze and crisp fests I enjoy most evenings, but I need to knock those on the head now!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Great work!

My streak is up to 132 days now, and I've covered 757 miles in that time. I seem to have become pretty consistent around 180 miles/month, with my last three months being 182, 183 and 185.

I do a fair bit of dog walking too - generally another 6-7 miles a day.

Despite this, when I weighed myself on Monday I was the heaviest I've been this year. I'm not massively surprised given the booze and crisp fests I enjoy most evenings, but I need to knock those on the head now!

I'm pretty new to the streaking game (that sounds wrong, but you know what I mean) – and it probably won't last as I quite enjoy the odd rest day here and there – but I'm really enjoying the routine of up and out every morning. I'm currently committed to running every day in June (and did most of May), but who knows what happens after that.

Regarding weight, I seem to be moving in the right direction as I'm closing in on 1.5 stones off since Easter Monday. That's the other thing with running every day – clawing calories back to put onto the daily allowance. Although I find I don't often use them anyway!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
**** run streaks. Ran second time in 12 days today and ran the last mile of the 5 miles at 6:08.

There was slight wind assistance and a little bit of Ross Barkly cheating going on to hit around 6:00 pace. Work needed on stamina and the belly but a nice little run out and the body did better than expected.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
**** run streaks. Ran second time in 12 days today and ran the last mile of the 5 miles at 6:08.

There was slight wind assistance and a little bit of Ross Barkly cheating going on to hit around 6:00 pace. Work needed on stamina and the belly but a nice little run out and the body did better than expected.

Well done. I assume you were running towards the west? I went for a bike ride earlier and the wind direction made about 25% speed differential. Is there a standard/rule of thumb on the impact of wind speed or does it vary by runner?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well done. I assume you were running towards the west? I went for a bike ride earlier and the wind direction made about 25% speed differential. Is there a standard/rule of thumb on the impact of wind speed or does it vary by runner?

@GNT thinks wind assists all runners except himself, as a rule of thumb and after extensive research.:lol:

The wind was 16mph NE so coming across me but certainly helped. Running out east wasn't hard but needed to keep at it.
Fun to play around with speed form with a little help.

I'm still hoping you'll pace me on a 5K on Saturday 20th June. Needs to be an out and back or a circuit/s. I need 6:45 pace for 2 miles, wind depending, and then we or one of us goes for it. I need it for the Arena virtual relays.

We could even have 4 others from here join as long as they remember it's all about ME.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
@GNT thinks wind assists all runners except himself, as a rule of thumb and after extensive research.:lol:

The wind was 16mph NE so coming across me but certainly helped. Running out east wasn't hard but needed to keep at it.
Fun to play around with speed form with a little help.

I'm still hoping you'll pace me on a 5K on Saturday 20th June. Needs to be an out and back or a circuit/s. I need 6:45 pace for 2 miles, wind depending, and then we or one of us goes for it. I need it for the Arena virtual relays.

We could even have 4 others from here join as long as they remember it's all about ME.

If you let me know your start time, I’ll aim to get down to the Prom or the Park where ever it is you’re running.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
If you let me know your start time, I’ll aim to get down to the Prom or the Park where ever it is you’re running.

Probably a safer bet - not sure I can manage 6:45 pace for two miles - that’s sub 21 for 5k - I haven’t managed that for at least 3 years!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Why we're talking speedy stuff, is there (still) a virtual 5k table? If so, I'd like to put in a belated (and pretty mediocre, compared with most of the times) 21:27 that I cracked out this morning. I didn't really have any expectations, so I'm pretty happy with that. A combination of fatigue and wind resistance did for my third mile before a trademark Bobkin sprint finish clawed a few seconds back in the final 0.1 :lolol:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Why we're talking speedy stuff, is there (still) a virtual 5k table? If so, I'd like to put in a belated (and pretty mediocre, compared with most of the times) 21:27 that I cracked out this morning. I didn't really have any expectations, so I'm pretty happy with that. A combination of fatigue and wind resistance did for my third mile before a trademark Bobkin sprint finish clawed a few seconds back in the final 0.1 :lolol:

That should be 'While', not 'Why' at the beginning, obvs...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Probably a safer bet - not sure I can manage 6:45 pace for two miles - that’s sub 21 for 5k - I haven’t managed that for at least 3 years!

Maybe I could join you tomorrow for a slower version as a practice? Anything down from 22, if I can manage.

Onwards and upwards!
Once the pc is free I’ll update that. Online scrabble has priority. She won’t accept my important role as Gaffer.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

08:49am on Saturday, 16 May 2020 [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] ran......
6:46, 6:52 and 6:48 with a fast last 0.1 of a mile.
I'll be happy with that next week.

Do or die time. Adrenaline time!
I'll probably be injured or sick anyway.....................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here