Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Lockdown totals:

65 Runs

610KM

5.10 KMPH

What I am most pleased about is two things. The average pace is coming down nicely. Todays 10K was 47mins whereas I was around 53/54 at the start of lockdown. Also I have been relatively injury free.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Thanks for those that pointed me towards Runderwear. I'm been running longer runs (for me) as a rule including a fair few hills and the Runderwear socks are markedly kinder on my feet. Lovely job.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Thanks for those that pointed me towards Runderwear. I'm been running longer runs (for me) as a rule including a fair few hills and the Runderwear socks are markedly kinder on my feet. Lovely job.

They have another 20% off day today until 9am tomorrow. Code is GRD20.

GRD stands for Global Running Day - Who knew?

So Happy Global Running Day everyone!

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
I'm incredibly injury-prone and have just completed my 125th day in a row of running. The streak started by accident, coming off the back of an achilles injury in January and has included running through another injury, this time to my knee.

I know some runstreakers keep things ticking over with a very easy "rest day mile" which some may consider cheating. Without checking back through Strava, I think I've done that once or twice, as well as a few 2-mile runs. Regardless, as I'm walking the dog for a fair few miles on most of these days, I'm not sure an easy jog to retain the streak, really makes much difference to my legs.

If only we could find an appetite for a stretch or two now and again Bozza. :lolol:

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Garmin says 18:45 (strava says 18:38 - which seems generous) for my entry to the NSC 5k. Must add that it's a bit of a dodgy time due to me living on a hill so was a net downhill run so perhaps add 15 seconds or so. Still - over a minute taken off that time in the lockdown period; turns out lots of slow miles helps! Next need to register a 10k and half time to see where i'm at.

Last edited:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Anymore running book recommendations?

Looking at Born to Run by Christopher McDougall and Feet in the Clouds by Robert Askwith.

Had a great run with [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] last night. 10 miles quick from Brighton to Shoreham and back again.

Really hit home how the different race distances test us in different ways. Whilst I’ve been running plenty of short time trials and keeping up my long, slow volume. I’ve neglected tempo runs and longer distance at pace.

Last night I found holding my pace more difficult than when I was training for the half marathon in February.

I’ll try and get a more balanced plan in place now but glute and back tightness are a warning I need to cut down or out the quick stuff for a period of time.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Anymore running book recommendations?

Looking at Born to Run by Christopher McDougall and Feet in the Clouds by Robert Askwith.

Had a great run with [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] last night. 10 miles quick from Brighton to Shoreham and back again.

Really hit home how the different race distances test us in different ways. Whilst I’ve been running plenty of short time trials and keeping up my long, slow volume. I’ve neglected tempo runs and longer distance at pace.

Last night I found holding my pace more difficult than when I was training for the half marathon in February.

I’ll try and get a more balanced plan in place now but glute and back tightness are a warning I need to cut down or out the quick stuff for a period of time.

All of these are good reads (if you want to borrow any pf them let me know.....) :

Keep on Running - Phil Hewitt (local bloke too)
Why we Run - Robin Harvie
From First to Last - Charlie Spedding
Running - Ronnie O'Sullivan (yes, that one - he's a very good runner and it's a good book - also goes into a lot of depth on the mental side)
Running on Empty - Marshall Ulrich

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
All of these are good reads (if you want to borrow any pf them let me know.....) :

Running - Ronnie O'Sullivan (yes, that one - he's a very good runner and it's a good book - also goes into a lot of depth on the mental side)

Thanks for the recommendations. I’ve read the Charlie Spedding one a few years back. All the others I’d love to borrow when we next meet up?

O’Sullivan is a phenomenal runner. Sub 35 10k times from memory. I can imagine his life story is very interesting, with his dad and snooker career. Also the rock ‘n’ roll snooker nights with Ronnie Wood and Jimmy White.

I’ve got a load too which I’m happy to gift or swap.

This thread is slowly turning into book corner.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012

I can second Keep on Running, really good read.

Just started Endure, may order another of the above for when im done.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
I think I've mentioned these already but I really enjoyed reading all three of Adharanand Finn's books during lockdown.

His first book "Running With The Kenyans" is probably my favourite. He spent 6 months living in Kenya with his family to try to discover the secrets of the Kenyan runners. It's a fantastic read.

His next book "The Way Of The Runner" is about his time living in Japan and learning about Japan's obsession with long distance running.

His most recent book "The Rise of the Ultra Runners" is fantastic too. It's about his journey into ultra running, ending up running at the UTMB. His stories of venturing into the ultra scene are very funny. Well worth a read for anyone thinking about taking on ultras or those that are already ultra veterans.

He recently started a really good podcast and had Ronnie O'Sullivan on as one of his first guests.

A couple of weeks ago I also bought the running tome that is the Lore of Running by Dr Tim Noakes the South African exercise and sports science professor from the University of Cape Town. It was first published about 20 years ago and was considered the "science behind running" bible. He's mentioned in Endure. Ross Tucker was one of his students a long time ago. He's since become heavily involved in the LCHF (low carb high fat) movement for a healthy diet and a lot of peers have discredited him. It's an absolute beast of a book and certainly not a light read but if you like scientific books it's considered the most exhaustive running book ever published.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=the+cretan+runner&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari

A great running book is The Cretan Runner by George Psychoundakis. 2nd World War young Cretan shepherd who ran the messages around Crete for the British and Cretan resistance. Bearing in mind Crete is incredibly mountainous and the easy routes were blocked by the Germans that lad covered a lot of ground.

Just bought this and feet in the clouds so that should be my June reading covered.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I have a confession.... I’ve gone to the dark side and bought new bike. I realise I won’t be able to conceal this on Strava so thought I’d better be up front about it before I’m thrown off this thread.

Now, thoughts on balance and benefits of ruining and cycling - whilst not getting in too much trouble with a Mrs Simgull for being out all of the time. Anyone else mix up the two successfully - [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION]?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I have a confession.... I’ve gone to the dark side and bought new bike. I realise I won’t be able to conceal this on Strava so thought I’d better be up front about it before I’m thrown off this thread.

Now, thoughts on balance and benefits of ruining and cycling - whilst not getting in too much trouble with a Mrs Simgull for being out all of the time. Anyone else mix up the two successfully - [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION]?

#ban

Love the Freudian Slip in your post as well. Spot on [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

As well as the Ninja who seems to be a real pedal merchant, there's the Gaffer and the Bobkin who have both done some serious triathlons. My own (limited) experience is very positive - I did a few duathlons (run-bike-run) a few years back and I'm convinced that the cycling really helped my running. I achieved my 5k PB around this time - and the actual PB itself was after a bike ride from Worthing to Hove. The thing about cycling and where it differs from running, for me, is that the recovery is much quicker. You can be totally stuffed during a bike ride but after a quick recovery of just a few minutes, then 'max out' again very quickly. I for one could never do that on a run. I've also never had any specifically cycling-related overuse injuries.*

*hypothesis - veteran cyclists go on longer than veteran runners

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ran a best time for 10 miles today.

I wasn’t intending to run (my version of) fast but, even though the wind was a *******, I seemed to be ticking along well so just stuck with it.

I do feel slightly annoyed I didn’t give more thought to my pace during the run, as I would have tagged on another three-and-a-bit miles for an almost certain half-marathon PB, possibly dipping below 1:40 for the first time.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

As well as the Ninja who seems to be a real pedal merchant, there's the Gaffer and the Bobkin who have both done some serious triathlons. My own (limited) experience is very positive - I did a few duathlons (run-bike-run) a few years back and I'm convinced that the cycling really helped my running. I achieved my 5k PB around this time - and the actual PB itself was after a bike ride from Worthing to Hove. The thing about cycling and where it differs from running, for me, is that the recovery is much quicker. You can be totally stuffed during a bike ride but after a quick recovery of just a few minutes, then 'max out' again very quickly. I for one could never do that on a run. I've also never had any specifically cycling-related overuse injuries.*

*hypothesis - veteran cyclists go on longer than veteran runners

When I do tris my rival is a better cyclist. I put emphasis on the cycling with 60-80 miles a week in an effort to match him and only run about 10m a week. Works well for me as a 10K is all that is required and the bike training gives you the cardio and endurance.

While we're off topic just had a swim and it's bloody freezing for June even with a trisuit. My feet went bright red!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here