Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
This isn't the Official Railing Thread, FFS! I haven't a clue, by the way.

Anyway, ticking over here – a few runs here and there, my usual half a stone lost after the first week of a strict diet and a new/different route this morning that threw up some Strava segment CR potential :lol:

One thing I'm noticing is that the current situation is bringing out a lot of hate for runners and (to a lesser degree, because they always seemed to have it) cyclists. A friend of a friend on FB suggested runners should be banned from running on pavements and should only do it in parks – and they should walk to the parks. They were quite adamant and when I asked whether their rules should still apply to the almost-deserted streets of Lancing and Shoreham-by-Sea on Saturday morning, the original post disappeared! Lots of other examples of people moaning about runners, but go to a supermarket and you get a REAL sense of numpties who can't grasp either the concepts of a) a one-way system and/or b) social distancing :facepalm:

As you do, I leave the mass of runners and mass of moaners on my doorstep and run away from the Prom and into town. The Steine was empty yesterday morning and very enjoyable. I enjoy running without a set route on car free roads. London now would be perfect.

A friend from Arena has an App. linked to Strava telling him which roads he hasn’t run on in Brighton. At the moment he has almost completed Hollingbury and Patcham.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
This isn't the Official Railing Thread, FFS! I haven't a clue, by the way.

Anyway, ticking over here – a few runs here and there, my usual half a stone lost after the first week of a strict diet and a new/different route this morning that threw up some Strava segment CR potential :lol:

One thing I'm noticing is that the current situation is bringing out a lot of hate for runners and (to a lesser degree, because they always seemed to have it) cyclists. A friend of a friend on FB suggested runners should be banned from running on pavements and should only do it in parks – and they should walk to the parks. They were quite adamant and when I asked whether their rules should still apply to the almost-deserted streets of Lancing and Shoreham-by-Sea on Saturday morning, the original post disappeared! Lots of other examples of people moaning about runners, but go to a supermarket and you get a REAL sense of numpties who can't grasp either the concepts of a) a one-way system and/or b) social distancing :facepalm:

Funnily enough I was on Worthing prom this morning. There were hardly any runners but a lot of cyclists. And yet I've seen loads of runners around the residential areas. It's almost the opposite of the norm where you see loads on the prom but hardly any elsewhere.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Funnily enough I was on Worthing prom this morning. There were hardly any runners but a lot of cyclists. And yet I've seen loads of runners around the residential areas. It's almost the opposite of the norm where you see loads on the prom but hardly any elsewhere.

Interesting. I went for a ten-mile run early yesterday afternoon, but didn't go near the seafront figuring it would be busy on such a nice day.

(The run was supposed to be early morning so I could run along the front but I drank two bottles of wine on Saturday night which wrote off Sunday morning for me)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I was going to write 'has it got something to do with you and Steve Ovett?' purely as a p*ss-take. And then out of the depths of my memory bank I remembered that at one point in his career the great man (him. not you - on this occasion) injured himself somewhere in Brighton. I've not looked at the clues or wiki, but am I right?

Went on a Steve Ovett theme run yesterday. His flat when we we went to Wembley in ‘83, the railing that he ran into in ‘81 hampering/finishing his career, his stolen statue in PP and the finish line of Brighton Marathon.
92FFE42D-6C99-48A6-8B08-4F55DAD60BB1.jpeg
2101630C-41A2-473A-A248-31AB20A9E3DF.jpeg

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
For the first time in many years, it's perfect weather for running in Boston on marathon day. I think that's what's made me feel so upset this morning. This is the first big event which has been hit for me during this crisis.

Am I overreacting by getting angry at some of the guys in my running club running a solo marathon this morning? It seems like such a stupid thing to do. You're weakening your immune system (temporarily, but still significant) and there's a risk of you injuring yourself or even collapsing during the run. It sucks that you put in all the training for nothing but it seems very foolish and a bit selfish.

It looked like Brighton had great weather yesterday too.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
For the first time in many years, it's perfect weather for running in Boston on marathon day. I think that's what's made me feel so upset this morning. This is the first big event which has been hit for me during this crisis.

Am I overreacting by getting angry at some of the guys in my running club running a solo marathon this morning? It seems like such a stupid thing to do. You're weakening your immune system (temporarily, but still significant) and there's a risk of you injuring yourself or even collapsing during the run. It sucks that you put in all the training for nothing but it seems very foolish and a bit selfish.

I just tell people that it is not something I would do or agree with. Some take it on board and others don’t. Have been called a Covid Nazi by a shopkeeping friend but he slowly changed his ideas.

If it’s a running group venting the main anger quickly alone may be better to avoid friction.

As to running,a downer can’t get much lower than missing out on Boston after a well executed training plan.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

God how annoying......

Re the marathons, I've noticed there are loads of people knocking out long runs on Strava and in the FB ultra pages. One of the Sussex Trail Events guys did a 100 miler in someone's back garden in Worthing last weekend (23 hours-odd). James Elson is doing a regular facebook live session and he's been very clear that it isn't necessary, even if you have 50/100 mile events coming up in July/August to do long training runs - just be consistent - up to an hour a day with some quality sessions included throughout the week and maybe a 1.5-2 hour run once a week is plenty given no-one has any immediate events coming up. I wouldn't get angry about it though....most likely they know what they are doing and risk of injury (requiring A&E) is still pretty small.

Re London streets being quiet, BBC newsreader Sophie Raworth (v keen runner) often posts pics on Twitter as she runs to and from work - the Beeb did an article recently

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-52155029

This guy has been taking some remarkable pictures too :

https://www.facebook.com/DamienHewetsonPhotography/

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
God how annoying......

Re the marathons, I've noticed there are loads of people knocking out long runs on Strava and in the FB ultra pages. One of the Sussex Trail Events guys did a 100 miler in someone's back garden in Worthing last weekend (23 hours-odd). James Elson is doing a regular facebook live session and he's been very clear that it isn't necessary, even if you have 50/100 mile events coming up in July/August to do long training runs - just be consistent - up to an hour a day with some quality sessions included throughout the week and maybe a 1.5-2 hour run once a week is plenty given no-one has any immediate events coming up. I wouldn't get angry about it though....most likely they know what they are doing and risk of injury (requiring A&E) is still pretty small.

Re London streets being quiet, BBC newsreader Sophie Raworth (v keen runner) often posts pics on Twitter as she runs to and from work - the Beeb did an article recently

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-52155029

This guy has been taking some remarkable pictures too :

https://www.facebook.com/DamienHewetsonPhotography/

It was just yesterday when I was really getting annoyed by it. I guess my emotions were a bit heightened by it being Boston Marathon day. I'm less bothered by people who do these runs in their back garden. At least they're not out in public, they have easy access to supplies in their home and they can just stop at any time. I still think it's a bit stupid though.

As you say, do a longer run at the weekend to keep yourself in good shape but a long run really shouldn't be more than about 20k. I don't actually enjoy long runs, so it's quite easy for me to keep to sensible distances :lolol:

Those London pictures are quite incredible. I've seen some similar ones posted in Toronto. Cities are looking like scenes from a post-apocalypse film.

In other news, it's snowing here!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
My first go (ever) at a timed one mile: 6.29. I won't 'claim' it as there was a very strong following wind. Ran it at an even pace, which is nice. (I don't know why but it makes me feel like a proper runner.)

The GNT rocket! Good effort with or without wind.

Fully agree with you but I'm really enjoying 2 to 2 and a half hour runs at the moment. Variety of reasons and I need to follow my mojo.
Where I live is busier than usual and I like to venture north to see the surreal unpolluted, quiet, roads and countryside under lockdown.
Since December I have run less often but averaging 8-10 miles a run. This gives the old legs recovery time whilst gaining some mileage.
I've stopped daily swimming.
I'm going at a snail's pace and only covering 12-14 miles.

Finally as [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] pointed out my double marathon last week wasn't. I did 52.2 instead of 52.4. So I'll do it this week.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The GNT rocket! Good effort with or without wind.

Fully agree with you but I'm really enjoying 2 to 2 and a half hour runs at the moment. Variety of reasons and I need to follow my mojo.
Where I live is busier than usual and I like to venture north to see the surreal unpolluted, quiet, roads and countryside under lockdown.
Since December I have run less often but averaging 8-10 miles a run. This gives the old legs recovery time whilst gaining some mileage.
I've stopped daily swimming.
I'm going at a snail's pace and only covering 12-14 miles.

Finally as [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] pointed out my double marathon last week wasn't. I did 52.2 instead of 52.4. So I'll do it this week.

Think that's fine - each to his own......that's no higher risk than some of the people who have suddenly found out that walking is good. On that, I'm finding some of the social media stuff annoying and hilarious in equal measure...............'Doris and I did 3.27 mile on our walk today and we discovered this simply fantastic path through the woods........................' - like they are some kind of latter-day Christopher Columbus or something, opening new frontiers.

Well, you and Doris can **** right off back to the pub or wherever it is you normally go when lockdown is over so I can have the trail I run EVERY WEEK back without having to dodge dopey old codgers moving at 1mph (noy you [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] obviously :lolol:) who don't even try to move slightly to one side when someone is coming.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Back to back 10ks today and yesterday. Feeling good but will rest tomorrow. First one was my first sub 50 min which I was very happy with. Legs feeling good and ready for a summer of running!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here