Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hey Gaffer, that's fantastic!! I remember when we met at Worthing parkrun around New Years that you mentioned your mum lived in Stanmore. That's great you've found the address! I'd be happy to run down there in the week and take some photos of the house and send them to you?

We made the short 2/3 mile move from Stanmore out to leafy Bushey last year to be closer to the boys' primary school and their future secondary school but we're always in Stanmore for the shops and restaurants.

I know the pub turned curry house on Honey Pot Lane. I've never been in there though as it's pretty downtrodden unfortunately. We drive down Honey Pot Lane to get to my mother in law's house towards Wembley.

Thanks for the offer but I’ve seen it on Google. Had a skip in the drive when filmed. I stayed in Kenton with Grandparents in 60’s and remember it not being plush then. Interestingly Dad’s family moved up socially to go there having left Sunderland in 1932. My Stanmore Grandma always considered my Mum moved down a class marrying someone from Kenton.

Enjoy Bushey, I’ll enjoy the fact my parents moved to Hove for my life and hope to meet nearby in a year or two when the Albion return to Wembley!

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
I’ve been “social media shamed” by someone I don’t know because I went for a 10-mile run - a run I posted about on here where I avoided areas likely to be busy (the seafront and gave a very wide berth to the few pedestrians I encountered, primarily by running in the middle of the road.

That is the reason I ran in my garden yesterday, and I’ve resolved to try to run either before 7am or after 9pm when places are quieter.

Curiously I think road runs are now better for social distancing as you have more opportunity to leave a reasonable distance than running on many tree-lined trails, particularly as the warner weather brings nettles and the like. (Other trails are available, I appreciate.)

Definitely think it's best to get out in the morning or wait until the end of the day if possible.

I'm fortunate to be able to run mostly on quiet countryside roads where I am so don't really see people until I'm close to the house. On the dry and sunny days I have noticed an increase in casual runners which is good to see although they seem to be struggling with standard running etiquette and working a little too hard for my liking :lolol:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Thanks for the offer but I’ve seen it on Google. Had a skip in the drive when filmed. I stayed in Kenton with Grandparents in 60’s and remember it not being plush then. Interestingly Dad’s family moved up socially to go there having left Sunderland in 1932. My Stanmore Grandma always considered my Mum moved down a class marrying someone from Kenton.

Enjoy Bushey, I’ll enjoy the fact my parents moved to Hove for my life and hope to meet nearby in a year or two when the Albion return to Wembley!

Haha! Your Grandma was right about Stanmore and Kenton Gaffer :lolol:

I think I mentioned to you when we met that I'd move back "home" tomorrow if I could but I think that chance might have gone, at least while the boys are at school plus my wife's family are all in the area here.

I miss the sea big time and every time I visit my side of the family and head to the seafront and look out to the sea I feel cleansed :lolol: I definitely took living by the sea for granted before going off to Uni and then to London to work.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Gorgeous day today so headed up to the Dyke and back. Very few cars and social distancing, impeccably observed.

The 12.5 miles was more then enough to smash my previous best weekly total. I’m sure it was either 41 or 42 miles. 53.8 this week so will take a rest day tomorrow.

Body feels fine apart from my feet. Losing another toe nail and they are a bit tender.

Likely to be less miles next week but I’ll be going to the Velodrome on two occasions to see if I can beat my 1 mile and 3k best times.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Gorgeous day today so headed up to the Dyke and back. Very few cars and social distancing, impeccably observed.

The 12.5 miles was more then enough to smash my previous best weekly total. I’m sure it was either 41 or 42 miles. 53.8 this week so will take a rest day tomorrow.

Body feels fine apart from my feet. Losing another toe nail and they are a bit tender.

Likely to be less miles next week but I’ll be going to the Velodrome on two occasions to see if I can beat my 1 mile and 3k best times.

Great work.

I had a 13.1 in mind for today, which would have nudged me over 50 miles in a week for, I think, the first time.

I've struggled a bit with being called out by a stranger though so kept it shorter and local with 6.5 road miles. That left me on 43.8 miles for the week, the 12th consecutive week my miles have increased, although the last few have been very marginal: 40.0, 40.4, 40.7, 42.6 and 43.8. It's not been intentional though, and it doesn't feel like I've run much this week.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Great work.

I had a 13.1 in mind for today, which would have nudged me over 50 miles for, I think, the first time.

I've struggled a bit with being called out by a stranger though so kept it shorter and local with 6.5 road miles. That left me on 43.8 miles for the week, the 12th consecutive week my miles have increased, although the last few have been very marginal: 40.0, 40.4, 40.7, 42.6 and 43.8. It's not been intentional though, and it doesn't feel like I've run much this week.

Don't let it bother you Bozza. You weren't doing anything out of the ordinary for you in terms of exercise, and observed social distancing. The random stranger can do one.

I ran 12 miles today, I saw more people near my house than I did running along the A246!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Looking on Strava, a few running groups and here, it seems everyone was out on or near the SDW yesterday – including me. It was a bit of a run/walk effort, but a beautiful day for it. Certainly everyone I encountered (which was only about 10 people) got the social distancing thing and we just used a bit of common sense to move out of the way for each other. Looking increasingly likely it'll be garden-only for outdoor running soon though, I'm afraid :down:

Interestingly, I noticed that the Mid-Sussex Triathlon (mid-June, I think) hasn't been cancelled. I mean, it will be, but in a way I quite admire the optimism of keeping it open!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I go for a run round the park every morning just at the point where it starts to get light. Have the entire park to myself apart from the rare dog walker in the distance. Last April I completed the Brighton 10k. This April I intend completing my first marathon. Going by my Strava stats for the month so far, this should take me 27 days

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I go for a run round the park every morning just at the point where it starts to get light. Have the entire park to myself apart from the rare dog walker in the distance. Last April I completed the Brighton 10k. This April I intend completing my first marathon. Going by my Strava stats for the month so far, this should take me 27 days

:clap:

:rotlf:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Gaffer,

Noted: your very unkind (if totally valid) comments about me on the Coranavirus C*nts thread.

To make matters even worse, I actually dreamt about you last night. (No bodily fluids exchanged.)

Went out on bike today and rode into a hawthorn bush. It's that sort of day.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
I’ve been “social media shamed” by someone I don’t know because I went for a 10-mile run - a run I posted about on here where I avoided areas likely to be busy (the seafront and gave a very wide berth to the few pedestrians I encountered, primarily by running in the middle of the road.

That is the reason I ran in my garden yesterday, and I’ve resolved to try to run either before 7am or after 9pm when places are quieter.

Curiously I think road runs are now better for social distancing as you have more opportunity to leave a reasonable distance than running on many tree-lined trails, particularly as the warner weather brings nettles and the like. (Other trails are available, I appreciate.)

Try not to let it bother you, but easier said than done. On my run on saturday (10 miles) I overtook an older gentleman who took offence that i ran past him - he was on the pavement and i went onto the road - but he still shouted at me about the 2 metre rule. It pissed me off to be honest as i did everything i could to overtake him with more than a safe distance, and I quicken up to get past him. Still he decided to shout and scream about the 2 metre rule. Wouldn't be so bad but he was chatting to 4 other people out side the post office before i got further up the street to overtake him.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Great work.

I had a 13.1 in mind for today, which would have nudged me over 50 miles in a week for, I think, the first time.

Hey Bozza, as Curious Orange says, don't let some numpty on social media/Strava get you down. :annoyed: There's no reason to be told off for getting out for some daily exercise (while we still can), as long as we are all very mindful of social distancing and staying as local to home as possible, which we all know you are.

The consecutive accumulation of weekly mileage increase is great! I think it's sensible to have that gradual step increase so that you're feeling good and set up nicely for another solid this week, if you want to.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thanks for the positive words above.

I get a lot of shit via NSC but I don't care about that, but with someone questioning my actions with regard to something that is so important for all of us, it knocked me a bit.

My running mojo duly returned today with seven and a bit miles over the Downs with the dog. What a day to be out! Saw a few others, but not too many, and it was easy to stay more than 2 metres away on each occasion.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Came across this well written article from Run ABC North about "socially responsible" running. Covers pretty much what we already know but still hits some very good points I think.

"Runners are privileged. We are currently encouraged to continue our chosen activity during the coronavirus outbreak but it is now absolutely paramount that we do so responsibly and in a socially acceptable manner."

https://scottishrunningguide.com/news/running-advice-during-the-coronavirus-outbreak-2020

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Gaffer,

Noted: your very unkind (if totally valid) comments about me on the Coranavirus C*nts thread.

To make matters even worse, I actually dreamt about you last night. (No bodily fluids exchanged.)

Went out on bike today and rode into a hawthorn bush. It's that sort of day.

I apologise for any overzealous rivalry but I’m suffering more than most. Put yourself in the position of a man once tolerated by NSC runners for inputting race times into a table and selecting the yearly Weakest Link Relay teams. Overnight his life has become meaningless.
He had great plans as well. The biggest being a plan to entice [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] making a debut at the Weakest Link Relays. �� ☹️
Keep at it everyone and avoid the hawthorn bushes.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I apologise for any overzealous rivalry but I’m suffering more than most. Put yourself in the position of a man once tolerated by NSC runners for inputting race times into a table and selecting the yearly Weakest Link Relay teams. Overnight his life has become meaningless.
He had great plans as well. The biggest being a plan to entice [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] making a debut at the Weakest Link Relays. �� ☹️
Keep at it everyone and avoid the hawthorn bushes.

You're still in a commanding position on the 'no drinking' thread and saw me off months ago. That's a 'running' record of a slightly different kind. Are you badly crocked?

A perfect day for a run. I managed one lap of the old (and unlamented) Worthing 20 course (4 laps of roughly 5 miles). Set my timer for 4.50 mins per km and hit it exactly. This doesn't make it a good run but gives you a feeling of technical accomplishment. Just thinking of all the events in perfect weather that will be cancelled very the next few months - shame.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You're still in a commanding position on the 'no drinking' thread and saw me off months ago. That's a 'running' record of a slightly different kind. Are you badly crocked?

A perfect day for a run. I managed one lap of the old (and unlamented) Worthing 20 course (4 laps of roughly 5 miles). Set my timer for 4.50 mins per km and hit it exactly. This doesn't make it a good run but gives you a feeling of technical accomplishment. Just thinking of all the events in perfect weather that will be cancelled very the next few months - shame.

Not bad at all but still suffering from the rare Knocky/@Guinness Boy virus. Slight tightness in chest so playing safe. Dumbbells going well, press ups progressing and belly growing nicely.

Ran 2 easy Hilly 10ks last week but got sore legs. Not in bad shape considering.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here