Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Definitely - like the NHS shopping hour, we need a proper ‘runners hour’ where we get the trails and roads to ourselves rather than having to speed up and pretend it’s not hurting when we run past someone in their Sports Direct £10 Athleisure suit by Donnay and Dunlop trainers. The police should be trained to spot those in sub-standard kit and they can shoot them on sight if they’re out at the wrong time. It’s only fair.

And anyone running wearing Beats headphones

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I've benched myself again. The cough that had gone came back. I expect by the time it properly ****s off I'll either have Covid19 for real or we'll be constrained to running once a month around a postage stamp.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've benched myself again. The cough that had gone came back. I expect by the time it properly ****s off I'll either have Covid19 for real or we'll be constrained to running once a month around a postage stamp.

Same here. On and off. Lurgy off at the moment so I’m running but nearly have shin splints from yesterday’s return run so another rest day today. Avoided the crowds of Hove Prom by heading inland.

Have slight mucus on chest but not spitting it out! Would not have been in good shape, if This had all been a dream and BM was 2 weeks Sunday.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Good point

Take it easy mate.....

Cheers

Same here. On and off. Lurgy off at the moment so I’m running but nearly have shin splints from yesterday’s return run so another rest day today. Avoided the crowds of Hove Prom by heading inland.

Have slight mucus on chest but not spitting it out! Would not have been in good shape, if This had all been a dream and BM was 2 weeks Sunday.

You seem to have remarkably similar symptoms to me. I'm not sure this is "it" but it is effing weird. If this is C19 then the irony is that I was probably more contagious at the end of Feb when I was doing 18 mile runs for fun. If not (and I suspect it's a particularly frisky cold) then there might be more to come :eek:

Either way I'm glad Brighton is off. This would have ruined training that up to two weeks ago was on for sub 3.45 (stated by coach, not me :lol: )

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I finally decided to give my Vaporfly 4% a try. I did a 10k tempo run just to see what they felt like with a bit of pace. They're definitely going to take a bit of getting used to. They're comfortable and I could definitely feel them helping with the pace but I seemed to be hitting the ground quite hard. I guess I need to take them on a long run to get used to running in them, like with all new shoes, but I'm obviously wary of putting too many miles in them.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I finally decided to give my Vaporfly 4% a try. I did a 10k tempo run just to see what they felt like with a bit of pace. They're definitely going to take a bit of getting used to. They're comfortable and I could definitely feel them helping with the pace but I seemed to be hitting the ground quite hard. I guess I need to take them on a long run to get used to running in them, like with all new shoes, but I'm obviously wary of putting too many miles in them.

Wonder if you were hitting the ground hard, or it sounded like you were.

This from the Runnerwoeld review of the Zoom Fly 3s I use: "My first impression of the Zoom Fly 3 was an audible “slap,” the sound it made hitting the pavement"

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Nike have already moved with the times and released a new product.

F4AC6453-697E-4AA7-8A79-6828B34CB7C4.jpeg

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Wonder if you were hitting the ground hard, or it sounded like you were.

This from the Runnerwoeld review of the Zoom Fly 3s I use: "My first impression of the Zoom Fly 3 was an audible “slap,” the sound it made hitting the pavement"

Interesting. I was wondering if that might be the case. I felt like there were times where I was hitting the "sweet spot" in terms of getting the bounce people talk about. Even then it was louder than I was expecting. With more usual shoes I only notice the sound when I start getting tired.

The important thing is they feel comfortable and the fit seems fine.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I've posted on here a couple of times about my mate Guy who is a ridiculously quick ultra trail runner. Tomorrow he was supposed to be doing SDW50. As that's off he's going to run a marathon round his back garden (at least 844 laps - though there's a clause that he'll do at least 1000 laps if he hits his fundraising target) in aid of Horsham District Foodbank. He's also got his wife and son to "volunteer" to do a 10k on the same garden based course :lolol: . Hopefully no harm in posting a link to his blog here (fundraising link is within the blog post)

https://runew.me/blog/f/soi-am-running-a-marathon-in-my-garden

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
10 easy miles around the roads today - I made the route up as I went along as I wanted to avoid the seafront, figuring it may be quite busy on such a nice sunny day.

With the roads being so quiet, it was easy to avoid the few pedestrians I did meet - I could swing into the middle of the road with no traffic about on each occasion.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
As the thread's a bit quiet, I'll chip in with this. My lad (GNT junior) is in his early 30s and has kept in touch with a schoolmate who was for a good while a top local runner (we are talking 30.25 for 10K). Very sadly a few years ago he had to give up running following a series of knee injuries.
But earlier this week, I heard that he was back running and had issued a bit of a challenge over 7k. Clearly it is very early days in his comeback and I'm not sure how serious is his intent; he'll never be anywhere near his former standard.
Anyway, I too had a go at the 7K and managed 33.07. No great shakes but better than expected and (even better than that!)a couple of minutes better than the pukka runner. Subsequently he's already knocked about 4 minutes off his opening time. However, being a sad old git, I'm hanging on to this - it's highly unexpected 'scalp'.

If you know of any other ex top runners who are infirm, chronically injured or morbidly obese* please forward me their names..................…

*preferably all 3

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I did around 250 laps of my back garden yesterday for 6 miles. That’s a lot of turning left every few metres, and the dog kept getting in the way too.

I had intended to be up before 6 for a long run before most of the world woke up but I’m typing this from bed and it’s gone 8:30 so it might have to a typical Sunday night run for me.

D

Deleted member 2719

With the roads being so quiet, it was easy to avoid the few pedestrians I did meet - I could swing into the middle of the road with no traffic about on each occasion.

I'm glad I am not the only one doing that!

I ran towards another runner on a metre wide footpath the other day and ended up running across a field as he wasn't going to make ground, that rutty old field had me puffing a bit extra though!

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
I did around 250 laps of my back garden yesterday for 6 miles. That’s a lot of turning left every few metres, and the dog kept getting in the way too.

I had intended to be up before 6 for a long run before most of the world woke up but I’m typing this from bed and it’s gone 8:30 so it might have to a typical Sunday night run for me.

Crazy! :lolol:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Slightly worrying to hear Matt Hancock on the Andrew Marr show this morning warning that if people don't take the stay at home rule seriously over the coming days they might have to go a step further with a ban on exercise of all forms outside of the home. :down:

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1246723556832169984

With the warm and sunny weather forecast I wanted to get my run in before 10am this morning as I feared it would start to get busier than normal.

I really do hope today doesn't bring a watershed moment with the small minority :annoyed: ruining the chance of daily outdoor exercise for the majority and pushing the government over the threshold.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Artie I've always noticed from Strava that you run near where my mum lived from the 1930's to mid 1950's. She died 9 years back and I could never find the address but yesterday, whilst clearing the attic, found a letter with her old address. It's 38 Vernon Drive, Stanmore just by the Golf Course. My dad lived in Kenton at the time and frequented the Honeypot pub, now a Curry house, on Honey Pot Lane. We had many pint glasses with Honeypot printed on them within the family house in Hove in the 60's.

Glad I've finally sorted out that missing information. Having looked on Google Earth I'm not bothered about visiting but next time you run/drive nearby shout out to Mum and Dad for me!

#Lockeduptoolong

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
About 15.5 miles for me on the Downs this morning. Everyone - runners, cyclists, dog walkers - courteously making way for each other to ensure social distancing. It will be really upsetting if we lose this due the actions of some idiots.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Artie I've always noticed from Strava that you run near where my mum lived from the 1930's to mid 1950's. She died 9 years back and I could never find the address but yesterday, whilst clearing the attic, found a letter with her old address. It's 38 Vernon Drive, Stanmore just by the Golf Course. My dad lived in Kenton at the time and frequented the Honeypot pub, now a Curry house, on Honey Pot Lane. We had many pint glasses with Honeypot printed on them within the family house in Hove in the 60's.

Glad I've finally sorted out that missing information. Having looked on Google Earth I'm not bothered about visiting but next time you run/drive nearby shout out to Mum and Dad for me!

#Lockeduptoolong

Hey Gaffer, that's fantastic!! I remember when we met at Worthing parkrun around New Years that you mentioned your mum lived in Stanmore. That's great you've found the address! I'd be happy to run down there in the week and take some photos of the house and send them to you?

We made the short 2/3 mile move from Stanmore out to leafy Bushey last year to be closer to the boys' primary school and their future secondary school but we're always in Stanmore for the shops and restaurants.

I know the pub turned curry house on Honey Pot Lane. I've never been in there though as it's pretty downtrodden unfortunately. We drive down Honey Pot Lane to get to my mother in law's house towards Wembley.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Slightly worrying to hear Matt Hancock on the Andrew Marr show this morning warning that if people don't take the stay at home rule seriously over the coming days they might have to go a step further with a ban on exercise of all forms outside of the home. :down:

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1246723556832169984

With the warm and sunny weather forecast I wanted to get my run in before 10am this morning as I feared it would start to get busier than normal.

I really do hope today doesn't bring a watershed moment with the small minority :annoyed: ruining the chance of daily outdoor exercise for the majority and pushing the government over the threshold.

I’ve been “social media shamed” by someone I don’t know because I went for a 10-mile run - a run I posted about on here where I avoided areas likely to be busy (the seafront and gave a very wide berth to the few pedestrians I encountered, primarily by running in the middle of the road.

That is the reason I ran in my garden yesterday, and I’ve resolved to try to run either before 7am or after 9pm when places are quieter.

Curiously I think road runs are now better for social distancing as you have more opportunity to leave a reasonable distance than running on many tree-lined trails, particularly as the warner weather brings nettles and the like. (Other trails are available, I appreciate.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here