Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Official NFL Thread 2023/2024

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Rees-Zammit has signed with the Chiefs. Can’t help but feel it’s more of a PR exercise than a credible recruit.
I wish the lad well, but I’m a little cynical myself too.

Apparently they’ve brought in new rules that’ll
mean more kick off returns next season, so he might have a role to play there.

But part of me wonders if there isn’t just a Netflix-style TV documentary behind all this…

FCB

Sep 1, 2023

But part of me wonders if there isn’t just a Netflix-style TV documentary behind all this…

Yep, here is a good video about new KO rules.

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012

I like that they’re doing the program but that’s got to be such a difficult crossover.

10 weeks vs what you’d go through in the US with high school and college football.

I hope he does well though. Just wonder what the odds are? I think he’d have had more chance if he had headed over at 18 and spent 4 years playing college football vs playing rugby (even at such a high level).

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
The evasiveness required is generally a talent you are born with
The rugby background should make the transition smooth
It’s more a question of his athleticism being of a high enough level to compete in the NFL
Best of luck to the lad

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
The evasiveness required is generally a talent you are born with
The rugby background should make the transition smooth
It’s more a question of his athleticism being of a high enough level to compete in the NFL
Best of luck to the lad
The program is a great idea and I agree with the premise that all of these players would have had a good chance of playing at the very top had they been born in the US.

It’s less about his athleticism being high another level though. He’s going to be up against players of similar athleticism that understand the game / running certain plays and routes. The fact they would have all done that for 4 years at pretty much much a professional level (college football) playing in crowds bigger than the Rugby World Cup makes it even harder.

Kicker on the other hand. I think that’s the position this program could nail. I might be making it up but didn’t a Gaelic footballer or Aussie rules player end up playing? Bears have the Brazilian kicker.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
The program is a great idea and I agree with the premise that all of these players would have had a good chance of playing at the very top had they been born in the US.

It’s less about his athleticism being high another level though. He’s going to be up against players of similar athleticism that understand the game / running certain plays and routes. The fact they would have all done that for 4 years at pretty much much a professional level (college football) playing in crowds bigger than the Rugby World Cup makes it even harder.

Kicker on the other hand. I think that’s the position this program could nail. I might be making it up but didn’t a Gaelic footballer or Aussie rules player end up playing? Bears have the Brazilian kicker.

Perhaps a better way for me to word it would be essentially as a kick returner( is gunner a term they use for this position ) his natural talent for seeing an opening and exploiting it as the play develops should stand him in good stead
If he s to be used as a receiver then as you say quite rightly the lack of familiarity with schemes and routes may leave him behind the rest of the class
Did I see that there's footage of him clocking 24 mph during a rugby match which apparently is quicker than tyreek hill

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
Perhaps a better way for me to word it would be essentially as a kick returner( is gunner a term they use for this position ) his natural talent for seeing an opening and exploiting it as the play develops should stand him in good stead
If he s to be used as a receiver then as you say quite rightly the lack of familiarity with schemes and routes may leave him behind the rest of the class
Did I see that there's footage of him clocking 24 mph during a rugby match which apparently is quicker than tyreek hill
That make sense. I think Hayne excelled in that role pre season. That didn’t work out longer term but clearly different personalities / age.

I saw that footage but I’d like to see him clock that speed in full gear. I don’t think he’d get close.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
That make sense. I think Hayne excelled in that role pre season. That didn’t work out longer term but clearly different personalities / age.

I saw that footage but I’d like to see him clock that speed in full gear. I don’t think he’d get close.
If he uses Jack H size shin pad s as padding he will be fine 🤣

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
How's everyone feeling after the first two rounds of the draft?

Happy enough with Seattle's picks – as everyone went offence-crazy in the First Round, we apparently dropped plans to trade down and instead stayed at pick #16 to snap up arguably the best defensive player on the board in Bryon Murphy.

Though the true winners are the Saints. They get the best-named player of the 2024 class in Kool-Aid McKinstry. And for anyone doubting this is his real name, you're right – it's a nickname that he's adopted (and trademarked etc). His original name? The far more common Ga'Quincy McKinstry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here