Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Official NFL Thread 2023/2024

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
From a personal POV Im glad to see Z'Darius Smith sign a new deal in Cleveland, but sad to see Takitaki go. Hes been a really solid LB for us the last couple of seasons.
With major uncertainty around Nick Chubb being ready for the start of the new season, or even being kept, I'd like to see the Browns make a run at either Mixon or Aaron Jones...if they can.
Not sure Jerome Ford is the man to carry the load at RB - even though he showed some flashes of decent ability in some games last season while filling in for Chubb - and I dont think Kareem Hunt is coming back? @Brovion

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I assume I'm maybe the only Falcons follower here? I've been watching NFL for coming up to 10 years but openly admit I'm still 'learning' all the time.

Am I naive to see the move for Cousins as just a brilliantly sensible decision which will unleash all the firepower we currently boast? I'll be honest, I've not watched many Vikings games.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I assume I'm maybe the only Falcons follower here? I've been watching NFL for coming up to 10 years but openly admit I'm still 'learning' all the time.

Am I naive to see the move for Cousins as just a brilliantly sensible decision which will unleash all the firepower we currently boast? I'll be honest, I've not watched many Vikings games.
My mate and I were sitting watching RedZone at the back end of the season when the Falcons came up on screen.....I think Ridder had just thrown an INT.
We both said that if they got a decent QB that offense would be STACKED and one of the best units around. You've just got a decent QB.

Cousins has the occasional brain fart (which QB doesn't?!), but hes a lot better than people give him credit for. My wife is a lifelong Vikings fan and is gutted to see Kirk go.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
From a personal POV Im glad to see Z'Darius Smith sign a new deal in Cleveland, but sad to see Takitaki go. Hes been a really solid LB for us the last couple of seasons.
With major uncertainty around Nick Chubb being ready for the start of the new season, or even being kept, I'd like to see the Browns make a run at either Mixon or Aaron Jones...if they can.
Not sure Jerome Ford is the man to carry the load at RB - even though he showed some flashes of decent ability in some games last season while filling in for Chubb - and I dont think Kareem Hunt is coming back? @Brovion
Didn't know there was doubt about Chubb being ready. I knew about a new deal, (and I think he'll stay), but if there IS a doubt about him being healthy then you can see why Berry and the Browns are prevaricating. And as it's Cleveland you just know they'll get it wrong: if he stays he'll be a crock. If they let him go he'll go and win the Superbowl with someone like Pittsburgh.

I'd definitely keep Hunt, all things being equal, especially if there is a doubt about Chubb. And I'd keep Flacco as starting QB, but that's not for footballing reasons.

EDIT: Hunt's Wikapedia entry still has him as a Brown.

FCB

Sep 1, 2023
I see Dissly has signed for the Chargers

Yes, they got him on a pretty solid deal too (something like 3 year, 14m IIRC). Colby Parkinson actually got paid more than him (3 year, $22m, $15m guaranteed) by the other LA team. Could see him doing really well in the Rams system and be worth that money tbh.

We brought back Noah Fant (2 years, $21m) though. I think talent wise he's the best of our TE group from last year but wasn't used to his strengths. Hopefully that will change with a new coaching staff.

We've also re-signed Leonard Williams to a 3 year, $63m contract with $44m guaranteed. Pretty happy with that. Thought he would be out of our range after seing contracts some other defensive linemen have received in last few days. He's obviously not on the level of Chris Jones or Christian Wilkins but when teams start to throw money around you never know.

We've lost LB Jordyn Brooks to the Dolphins (3 years, $30m) and LG Damien Lewis to the Panthers (4 year, $53m contract). Ok with us not matching those deals. We really have a big hole at LB now though with Bobby Wagner reportedly also unlikely to return. Maybe still in the mix for Patrick Queen but not sure GM John Schneider will want to overpay.

Panthers also went out and gave Robert Hunt a 5 year, $100m contract. Not seen yet how much of that is guaranteed but that AAV for OG is pretty crazy (I've read somewhere he's only the fourth guard with 20m+ AAV in NFL history). Probably the biggest overpay so far and one I didn't see coming, especially with a very good OL class in this year draft. But ofc Carolina is short on the picks after trading up to get Bryce Young last year and they have to protect him so somewhat understanding but still wouldn't pay that much for neither Hunt nor Lewis.

And their next move is also not really that surprising. They've traded Brian Burns to the Giants for 2024 2nd and 2025 5th round picks. Probably regretting now not taking that Rams offer including two 1st rounders back at the 2022 trade deadline. Burns has also agreed to a 5 year, $150m extension ($87m guaranteed) with the Giants as part of the trade.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton

Think it’s a great bit of business for the Falcons.

Even though we’ve just re-signed Mayfield I reckon this pick up and your offence makes you heavy favourites for the NFC South

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Think it’s a great bit of business for the Falcons.

Even though we’ve just re-signed Mayfield I reckon this pick up and your offence makes you heavy favourites for the NFC South
The only doubt about Kirk coming off the Achilles injury will be his mobility. Hes never been known for being very mobile anyway, so it could make him even slower now.
Protect him in the pocket though and he will do well I reckon.

FCB

Sep 1, 2023

I think Atlanta overpaid but that's what you have to do these days to get a good QB. Would still rather pay Cousins $45m per year than someone like Daniel Jones $40m for example.

Falcons have arguably a top 5 OL in the league and very good weapons in Drake London, Kyle Pittts and Bijan Robinson. Will surely add another good WR in this deep class too. So all the makings of a very good offense. Cousins's record in the playoffs (only 1 win in 5 games) and prime time games (12-20) is a bit worrying but ofc can't always blame just QB for his team record.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Cousins duller than dull QB, flat track bully with an an uncanny ability on 3rd and 10 to throw for 3 yards and jog off...ars'ole goes in the big games to boot...

Got a cracking wife tho
Hmmmm. Spoken like a divisional rival…… 😉

I like him hope he does well at Atlanta, all of a sudden they are an offensive force….
Robinson, Pitts, London….. and Cousins

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cousins duller than dull QB, flat track bully with an an uncanny ability on 3rd and 10 to throw for 3 yards and jog off...ars'ole goes in the big games to boot...

Got a cracking wife tho
I was expecting more of this kind of comment - what with it being spot on.

Jul 7, 2003
I see Russell Wilson has signed with the Steelers on a one year deal for the minimum $1.2 m - he told teams he would pay for minimum so that it didn't impact their salary cap as Denver are paying the rest of his salary.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Gutted to see Aaron Jones sign with Minnesota this morning....although probably good news for my Championship winning fantasy team as hes one of my keepers 😁
Can see him having a big year if he stays healthy.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A HUGE day in free agency yesterday.

DeAndre Swift to Chicago
The promised offensive overhaul seems underway for us Bears. Very happy to read this.

Was going to say this will reduce the burden on Fields to do a lot of our running, though with no 1 pick, rumours are rife we'll draft Caleb Williams and trade Justin. Could Fields replace Cousins at the Viqueens?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here