[Other Sport] Official NFL Thread 2022/23

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So our super-duper new QB has, as expected, been banned: https://news.sky.com/story/clevelan...ore-than-20-sexual-misconduct-claims-12663869

Frankly I think it's too short. I certainly will find it harder to support Cleveland this year with a complete ******** as QB. Typical. For years, really ever since Bernie Kosar, we've craved a quality franchise quarterback. Mayfield wasn't quite it, Watson undoubtedly has the talent, but jeez. It's like being promised a party with a superstar DJ and finding out it's Tim Westwood .... or Jimmy Savile.

Rather than sexual misconduct was it simply a case of being too tight with the tipping?

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
The six game suspension for Watson is an utter indictment of the NFL - the guy has all the hallmarks of a sexual predator (with at least 66 women making complaints about him). The NFL game him basically the same suspension that they gave other players for smoking weed.

The NFL have basically said - if you are an NFL player and you engage in sexual abuse/harassment of women, and get caught - then they will give you a minor slap on the wrist so that they can pretend they care about protecting women from predators.

Watson should never have been allowed to set foot on a football field again - and if they were going to punish him then minimum the NFL should have done was put him on gardening leave for this season (with instructions to settle all outstanding lawsuits) and then suspended him next season when it would have cost him $46million.

I have always liked the Browns and their fans have repeatedly been sh*t on by their owners - but the Browns organisation will reap what they have sown - a sexual predator cannot simply turn off a switch.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1554111970533462016[/tweet]

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The NFL have basically said - if you are an NFL player and you engage in sexual abuse/harassment of women, and get caught - then they will give you a minor slap on the wrist so that they can pretend they care about protecting women from predators.

Watson should never have been allowed to set foot on a football field again - and if they were going to punish him then minimum the NFL should have done was put him on gardening leave for this season (with instructions to settle all outstanding lawsuits) and then suspended him next season when it would have cost him $46million.

I have always liked the Browns and their fans have repeatedly been sh*t on by their owners - but the Browns organisation will reap what they have sown - a sexual predator cannot simply turn off a switch.

The NFL and the owners have only ever had one interest, keeping the vast money making machine that is the NFL well oiled and running 24/7

It's look more and more that the NFL was aware of the brain damage caused by CTE but continues to dismiss and downplay it.

The child abuse scandal at Penn State was allowed to continue for 15 years by people like coach Joe Paterno because he was more concerned with churning out star players for the NFL than looking after the welfare of the children under his care

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Heading to my first game in Sept, not a massive fan but something to tick off the bucket list.

For those that are in the know, how early would you get to the ground etc? I don’t really want to spend $20 on a beer

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Heading to my first game in Sept, not a massive fan but something to tick off the bucket list.

For those that are in the know, how early would you get to the ground etc? I don’t really want to spend $20 on a beer

Don't forget to check out the tailgate parties - always interesting

Jul 7, 2003

Where are you going as the experience varies?

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
Vegas, I assume it’s an MK Dons kinda experience - not a traditional football town - but they seem to have taken to it

Have fun! The Raiders are deffo the most expensive NFL team to go and see just because of where they are at. As others have said, tailgate parties are your best bet to not only drink some good beers for half the price or less than the stadium, but to just to have a better experience. Be cautious though: Raiders fans can be quite irritating and obnoxious!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Have fun! The Raiders are deffo the most expensive NFL team to go and see just because of where they are at. As others have said, tailgate parties are your best bet to not only drink some good beers for half the price or less than the stadium, but to just to have a better experience. Be cautious though: Raiders fans can be quite irritating and obnoxious!

Cheers, will have a look out for them, everything I’ve read says don’t go
Into the ground till late.

the ticket was more than the CL final - ridiculous cost really - but it’s a one off.

The six game suspension for Watson is an utter indictment of the NFL - the guy has all the hallmarks of a sexual predator (with at least 66 women making complaints about him). The NFL game him basically the same suspension that they gave other players for smoking weed.

In slight defence of the NFL themselves - for now - it's not them directly who've passed down the disgracefully short recommended suspension for Watson, but an independent former judge in Sue L. Robinson. Under changes in the most recent collective bargaining agreement with the NFLPA, the suspension process for some cases has changed. Robinson acted as an arbiter, the NFL presented their evidence to her and she has given her findings and recommended the length of suspension. What's absolutely baffling is that her actual findings are completely scathing of Watson in terms of his actions and his lack of remorse, but the fact that what he has been accused of was deemed as "non-violent" meant she felt the six game ban sufficed. Completely contradictory to everything else she wrote and an absolute farce.

Ultimately, Roger Goodell and the league have until Thursday morning to appeal Robinson's recommendation and hand down a longer suspension if they deem it necessary - all the talk pointed to them pushing for a full season ban when presenting the evidence to Robinson. If they extend the suspension, then it's expected that Watson's lawyers and the NFLPA will appeal that, and the whole process could then go to Federal Court. So it could be far from over.

The whole situation since the grand jury dismissal earlier in the year has been abhorrent. The Browns bending over backwards to protect as much of Watson's money as possible from fines or suspensions makes them completely and utterly morally bankrupt, and I don't blame a single fan who chooses not to support them anymore because of it. Gone from being one of the most loved underdogs by fans of most teams, to now being universally loathed by most of the league. Honestly wouldn't bat an eyelid if an opposition player went full Bountygate on Watson and tried to end his career.

Last edited:

Cheers, will have a look out for them, everything I’ve read says don’t go
Into the ground till late.

the ticket was more than the CL final - ridiculous cost really - but it’s a one off.

As one of the newest (and best, but I'm a biased Raiders fan!) stadiums in the league in a popular destination city, the prices will be high for games at Allegiant for the foreseeable future. Add into the equation that all the seats are owned by season ticket holders and therefore any on sale are through the secondary market means you're always going to be paying a fair whack - especially for certain games like the opener, against divisional rivals and the holiday season.

Have the best time, as it's an amazing stadium! Definitely make time to tailgate and soak in the atmosphere - was my one regret that me and a mate didn't do that properly when we were in Tampa for a game in 2019.

Was hoping to get to my first Raiders home game in the states this year, but a packed summer of gigs and festivals has meant I can't justify it in terms of spending or annual leave. Though at least one mate is keen to try and do a double header of games in Vegas and LA sometime next year, so that's looking more likely. Will be making the most of having season tickets for the Spurs games and will be off to Wembley for Broncos @ Jags as well.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Excuse me! My wife's a Raiders fan and ..... yeah, you're spot on! :lolol: Oakland's the only ground I've been to in the States, but it was fun.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
As one of the newest (and best, but I'm a biased Raiders fan!) stadiums in the league in a popular destination city, the prices will be high for games at Allegiant for the foreseeable future. Add into the equation that all the seats are owned by season ticket holders and therefore any on sale are through the secondary market means you're always going to be paying a fair whack - especially for certain games like the opener, against divisional rivals and the holiday season.

Have the best time, as it's an amazing stadium! Definitely make time to tailgate and soak in the atmosphere - was my one regret that me and a mate didn't do that properly when we were in Tampa for a game in 2019.

Was hoping to get to my first Raiders home game in the states this year, but a packed summer of gigs and festivals has meant I can't justify it in terms of spending or annual leave. Though at least one mate is keen to try and do a double header of games in Vegas and LA sometime next year, so that's looking more likely. Will be making the most of having season tickets for the Spurs games and will be off to Wembley for Broncos @ Jags as well.

The stadium looks unreal when I’ve been passed it, seems they really followed through on the promise on the stadium.

The booking fee was almost $60 alone!! I’m going to the cardinals game, no idea if they are a big team?

The whole city seems to up the costs for games, I booked Treasure Island for £125 for 3 nights in April, it’s now £700.

I was in Vegas for the Super Bowl in Feb, that was insane.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Listening to the Around The NFL emergency pod this week, it seems that Goodell actually does have the power to increase suspension as the independent judge is really there to ascertain whether there actually should be a suspension not decide on the final length of any suspension. According to Gregg Rosenthal the CBA does give Roger the final say, and whilst the NFLPA will kick up a stink there is ultimately little they can do about.

Watson is a piece of crap who shouldn't be anywhere the game anymore. It pains me to say it, but this sport has a problem with women and it continues to treat them abominably. I'm a Commanders fan and am well aware of the disgraceful behaviour of the organisation in the past and I cannot believe no serious action has been taken against our PoS owner Dan Snyder.

Watson needs to be properly suspended or kicked out. In addition even though Washington has kicked out the people responsible for their toxic environment and changed the Front Office completely, there should still be restitution for the victims of the abuse encountered there, and Snyder should be forced to sell (I'd even accept Bezos buying the team for pocket change to get rid of Dan).

As for Raiders fans, my brother is a big fan and I 'treated' him to a Wembley game and we went to the Raiders Rally party with the Black Hole regulars and they were really nice people. Organised by Crusader Raider, Fred Biletnikoff was the guest of honour and it was great to see him.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I think another problem the NFL won't recognise is the use of steroids by players. This can lead to roid rage and other behavioural and psychological problems

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports