Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Official NFL Thread 2022/23

In a surprise U-turn DeShaun Watson has decided he will play for the Browns. Trade includes 3 first round picks! Will earn $184m over the first 4 years of a new deal.

Very surprising considering he was supposedly spending the weekend mulling over the Saints and Falcons offers. However some of the details that have emerged today have made one thing clear - the amount of guaranteed money on his contract was the primary driving factor behind where Watson would go. The first reports were that the Panthers weren't willing to guarantee what he wanted. Presumably same scenario with the Browns...until Baker asked for a trade yesterday, which has made them buckle to Watson's demands to make sure they don't go into the season without any semblance of a decent QB.

Now, he has a $230m fully guaranteed contract. The most guaranteed money any QB has had on a contract. And as Ian Rapoport has been reporting, if he does receive a suspension this season, any money taken out of his contract for 2022 would come out of his base salary...which is only $1m. Cynical as it may sound, this is all about Watson protecting his money now and in the future in case he decides to get into more legal trouble. Pretty vomit inducing considering what he has been accused of.

For every Browns fan who was rooting for their team not to trade for him because their morals and decency are more important than any on-field success, you have my upmost sympathy. Feels like the majority of fans from all the teams who have been linked to him wanted him nowhere near their building.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Adams to the Raiders, that Rodgers contract looking dumber by the day.

and it'll be even more funny when the packers use that first round trade pick for a defensive player

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Very surprising considering he was supposedly spending the weekend mulling over the Saints and Falcons offers. However some of the details that have emerged today have made one thing clear - the amount of guaranteed money on his contract was the primary driving factor behind where Watson would go. The first reports were that the Panthers weren't willing to guarantee what he wanted. Presumably same scenario with the Browns...until Baker asked for a trade yesterday, which has made them buckle to Watson's demands to make sure they don't go into the season without any semblance of a decent QB.

Now, he has a $230m fully guaranteed contract. The most guaranteed money any QB has had on a contract. And as Ian Rapoport has been reporting, if he does receive a suspension this season, any money taken out of his contract for 2022 would come out of his base salary...which is only $1m. Cynical as it may sound, this is all about Watson protecting his money now and in the future in case he decides to get into more legal trouble. Pretty vomit inducing considering what he has been accused of.

For every Browns fan who was rooting for their team not to trade for him because their morals and decency are more important than any on-field success, you have my upmost sympathy. Feels like the majority of fans from all the teams who have been linked to him wanted him nowhere near their building.

Well, 'be careful what you wish for'. I've never been Mayfield's biggest fan and it was obvious that there were problems behind the scenes, but replacing him with Watson! All neutrals will hate us and I can't say I blame them.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Overall I’m happy with the business the Jags have done, general upgrades rather than big splash signings though the Kirk deal is a bit rich. Still a few holes to fill in the draft but the roster is definitely more talented than last year. I’d still rather we picked up an edge in free agency and then drafted Neal or Ekwonu but everything points towards Hutchinson being the pick :(

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Overall I’m happy with the business the Jags have done, general upgrades rather than big splash signings though the Kirk deal is a bit rich. Still a few holes to fill in the draft but the roster is definitely more talented than last year. I’d still rather we picked up an edge in free agency and then drafted Neal or Ekwonu but everything points towards Hutchinson being the pick :(

Have you just copy and pasted from 12 months ago? :lol: :kiss:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Have you just copy and pasted from 12 months ago? :lol: :kiss:

Ha! For someone unfamiliar with the Jags that would be a very fair comment. Last year’s free agency was an embarrassment, most cap space but didn’t sign any blue chip players, Urban Meyer had absolutely no idea what he was doing.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Tyreek Hill to the Dolphins for 2022 1st, 2nd and 4th round picks. And a 4th and 6th round pick in 2023.

Going to be the highest paid WR ever. But what a waste of talent, the ****ing Dolphins!?

They just need to get a decent QB or bring Dan Marino out of retirement.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Tyreek Hill to the Dolphins for 2022 1st, 2nd and 4th round picks. And a 4th and 6th round pick in 2023.

Going to be the highest paid WR ever. But what a waste of talent, the ****ing Dolphins!?

That’s Mad
I take it the glory of winning subsides once you got a Ring
In favour of $$$$$$$

Jul 7, 2003

So happy to see him out of the AFC West as he has burned my Broncos far too often.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
KCC were struggling with cap space, apparently, so his departure was always likely, but - the Dolphins? Seriously?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Falcons 'follower' here. Only got into NFL in the last 2 years so still a bit slow on certain areas.

RE Ryan leaving, I (as the uneducated fan) thought "hmmm, it's not a particularly great trade for the picks but I guess that frees up loads of salary which must be their logic"....and then I see all this stuff about "dead money".

Are they two completely seperate things?

Am I right that the Falcons have freed up his salary from their salary cap......but seperately HAVE to pay Ryan a certain amount over what remained of his Falcons contract?

And, on that second point, if a player is moving to another team who are obviously going to pay a salary, does the player ever waive that amount owed by the selling team as a gesture of goodwill?

Seemed weird to me to read all this stuff about being sad to leave......but at the same time knowing they are picking up the amount still owed under the Falcons contract whilst walking into a new salary elsewhere.

Apologies for my ignorance!

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Falcons 'follower' here. Only got into NFL in the last 2 years so still a bit slow on certain areas.

RE Ryan leaving, I (as the uneducated fan) thought "hmmm, it's not a particularly great trade for the picks but I guess that frees up loads of salary which must be their logic"....and then I see all this stuff about "dead money".

Are they two completely seperate things?

Am I right that the Falcons have freed up his salary from their salary cap......but seperately HAVE to pay Ryan a certain amount over what remained of his Falcons contract?

And, on that second point, if a player is moving to another team who are obviously going to pay a salary, does the player ever waive that amount owed by the selling team as a gesture of goodwill?

Seemed weird to me to read all this stuff about being sad to leave......but at the same time knowing they are picking up the amount still owed under the Falcons contract whilst walking into a new salary elsewhere.

Apologies for my ignorance!
It really all depends on the contract details (e.g. signing bonus, roster bonuses, base salary, guaranteed money, etc) - and the details of the trade. When the Rams traded for Stafford they gave the Lions an extra 1st round pick so that the Lions would take Goff's big contract. In contrast - when the Broncos traded for Bridgewater last year, he was due to make $18million - in order to get rid of him, the Panthers agreed to pay $17m of the remaining contract and the Broncos paid him $1m.

In relation to Ryan - the Falcons are eating $40m of dead cap money.

There is sense in what they did - they are effectively clearing house to begin a complete rebuild - Ryan's contract is gone and by next year they will have very few players earning anykind of big money. They will tank next season and take a QB in next years draft - hoping he will become a francise QB. At that point they could have $70-80m in cap space (or even more). If the rookie QB pans out, they will have him for 5 years on a rookie contract, they can surround him with FA vets and then when they have to pay the QB they can use voidable years on the contract to kick the can down the road - the Falcons could get up to 15 competitive years before they have to blow everything up again (like they are doing this year) - that is assuming they hit on a francise QB in next years draft. If they don't then it could delay everything for 3-4 years.

The reason there is so much movement of QBs this off-season is teams are trying to get a 4-5 year window to be competitive. The Broncos have a young roster with players either on rookie contracts or cap-friendly contracts. They can pay Wilson and be competitive for the next 5-6 years (assuming Wilson can continue to play) - the Rams have a 2-3 year window before the bill will have to be paid and they have to blow things up - the Bengals are in a great situation, with Burrow on a rookie contract, they can manipulate FA and still be in a position to pay Burrow when his extension falls due.

Because voidable years are now possible with player contracts we will see ccyles of this. The best way to a long stretch of competitiveness is to find a franchise QB in the draft (Mahomes with the Chiefs, Allen with the Bills and Burrow - all in different stages). But it is also possible to trade for a QB or sign a FA QB (Wilson or Manning would be the best examples) and get 4-5 years of a run at the SB. In my opinion GB f*cked up this year by giving Rodgers the contract - they should have taken the draft picks and blew everything up this year to be in a position to draft a QB next year and have cleared the dead cap money. I can't see them being competitive and they will still have to blow things up in a couple of years.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
KCC were struggling with cap space, apparently, so his departure was always likely, but - the Dolphins? Seriously?

I think this trade makes it clear that what Brady has achieved in his career will never be replicated. How many pay cuts did he take, salary adjustments, just to keep the squad as stacked as possible.

Chiefs team will fall apart in the next couple of years as they struggle for cap space due to Mahomes insane contract.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here