Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Official NFL Thread 2022/23

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Very hypothetical in terms of the Broncos.
Maybe - but the TD/INT stats are stark

The question isn’t whether he’ll improve the Broncos, he is highly likely to, more whether as a player he has ‘lost a step’ and is at the level he was previously, and although there may be an improvement, how big it will be.
There is no evidence he has lost a step - he has become a much better rhythm passer - second only to Rodgers last season. Also - he has been running for his life for the past couple of seasons - he will have more time in the Denver offence and the offence will suit his game.

I guess we’ll have to wait and see…..

Question - do you think he’ll have the same level of impact as Stafford?
Yes we will - and I think he will have a much bigger impact on the Broncos than Stafford. I wouldn't be surprised to see him have the best season of his career this coming year.

Despite my reservations, I’d still rather have Wilson and even Bridgewater at the Giants than Jones.
You have no diea how bad Teddy is - nice guy and all that - but at best a back-up QB.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
$6.5m according to The Athletic so not much.

I think that might make him the highest paid back-up QB in the NFL - nothing like the 3yr $63m with $30m guaranteed he got from the Panthers (the Panthers actually gave him $7m just to get rid of him) - but he won't be in the poorhouse anytime soon.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Will be interesting to see if Wilson can raise his game to the levels it has been when he has been surrounded by elite players.

You are spot on that Wilson is very self aware and has selected Denver as he has the necessary tools he requires to be a game changing QB.

Just the question now to see if he can step up to the levels he was before after several years of being part of a bang average team and with plenty of off the field distractions.

Apparently Wilson and his agent reviewed 14 potential teams he could join and narrowed it down to the Broncos - who were well ahead of the rest.

Also apparently - the Broncos were never in the stakes for Rodgers - they zeroed in on Wilson in mid-January and had been in discussions with Seattle for nearly 2 months before the trade. It is likely that Wilson's decision to only waive his no-trade clause for the Broncos reduced the cost of the trade.

On the FA side - the Broncos have signed DJ Jones NT 49ers to a 3 yr / $30m deal. Great signing by Paton - fills a big need on the Broncos defence.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Apparently Wilson and his agent reviewed 14 potential teams he could join and narrowed it down to the Broncos - who were well ahead of the rest.

Also apparently - the Broncos were never in the stakes for Rodgers - they zeroed in on Wilson in mid-January and had been in discussions with Seattle for nearly 2 months before the trade. It is likely that Wilson's decision to only waive his no-trade clause for the Broncos reduced the cost of the trade.

On the FA side - the Broncos have signed DJ Jones NT 49ers to a 3 yr / $30m deal. Great signing by Paton - fills a big need on the Broncos defence.

I’ve no doubt he has chosen what he sees as his perfect destination.

My only reservation is whether he can raise his game back to previous levels after several seasons of attempting to carry a lifeless Seattle team.

That and the fact that the AFC West is an absolute killer of a division to try and get out of.

That said of course this would be the best season with the most favorable schedule of the 4 teams after finishing bottom last season.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I’ve no doubt he has chosen what he sees as his perfect destination.
Well - he wasn't going to any team that already had a franchise QB - that ruled out Chiefs, Chargers, Bengals, Bills, GB, Bucs, Cards, Rams, Cowboys, Jags, Ravens - and any team that had expended a lot of draft capital - 49ers, Jets, - that left 19 - so he automatically ignored 5 and investigated the other 14 (whether they were interested in trading for him or not). He picked the Broncos over the Browns, Raiders, Titans, Vikes, Eagles, Pats, Falcolns, Colts Saints, Dolphins, Giants, Steelers, Wash, Bears, etc.

My only reservation is whether he can raise his game back to previous levels after several seasons of attempting to carry a lifeless Seattle team.
The reality is that he has been carrying Seattle - the last 6 seasons they went 10-5-1, 9-7, 10-6, 11-5, 12-4, 7-10

That is some effort from a QB on a poor team with a HC stuck in the 1970s.

That and the fact that the AFC West is an absolute killer of a division to try and get out of.
The evidence actually disproves this argument - the Rams won the SB after coming out of a division with the 49ers, Cards and Seattle - I remember back to the old AFCW when a five team division including the Seahawks was almost impossible to get out of - yet they invariably sent a team to the SB. I expect three teams from AFCW will make the play-offs and maybe all 4.

The reality is that the competition will actually make all these teams better. In all likelihood the only team that will stop an AFCW team making the SB is the Bills.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Hearing that Cleveland are meeting with Deshaun Watson in Houston today...:mad:

It would be a shame - Cleveland is a proud team that got screwed over by Art Modell when he moved the original Browns to Baltimore. They really should keep away from this individual. He should never see a football field again - but if he is then there are a few disreputible teams where he should end up.

Garropulo?

Where does that leave Indi?

There were a few people on Monday including Colin Cowherd that had mentioned Gardner Minshew as a name the Colts were potentially interested in, but since then I've not seen anything else develop regarding that. I've also seen reports pushing the narrative that he'd be a great fit in Seattle, but there are some stories out there saying they may give Lock a chance at the starting gig.

If Trubisky and even Lock are getting another shot at starting jobs, you could make an argument that everyone's favourite cult hero not named Ryan Fitzpatrick should as well. Minshew always looked a more-than reasonable starter to me, but was hampered by being in a Jags team that was intent on tanking in the knowledge of what the 2021 QB prospects looked like.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Report coming out of Cleveland from one of the local beat writers tonight that even if you don't land Watson, Baker could be on his way out: https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...be-dealt-even-if-the-trade-doesnt-happen.html

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

yep - and Mayfield has put out a statement too, thanking the people of Cleveland....which reads very much as a thinly disguised goodbye. With Tretter being released as well now, all the initial positiveness over Cooper arriving has quickly disappeared!

Screenshot_20220316-065805_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20220316-065821_Instagram.jpg

I cant see us getting Watson tbh - so wouldn't be surprised if we make a push for Jimmy G if Mayfield is traded.

Last edited:

What started out as a quiet first two days for the Raiders in free agency has suddenly kicked into gear.

Trading Yannick Ngakoue for Colts cornerback Rock Ya-Sin and signing Chandler Jones to line up on the other side of Maxx Crosby. Some real 3D chess from Ziegler in finding a way to save some money on the cap, while also improving us at two positions. Ya-Sin is a great get as a highly rated young corner, and while we're certainly getting older on the outside by bringing in Jones over Ngakoue, he's more well rounded and should still provide higher production - especially with opposing teams having to contend with blocking him and Maxx Crosby. Add to this a solid addition in former Bears DT Bilal Nichols, we've done a good job in adding some nice pieces on the defence.

With the receiver market at the top likely to be over-inflated thanks to the Jags throwing ridiculous money around (don't get me started on $10m p/a for Zay Jones!), I've no issue if we put focus there on the draft. Like in 2020 when we took Ruggs, it looks like another year where there is a wealth of 1st round quality receivers, and one or two should still be there when we pick at 22 based on all the mock drafts I've been looking at in the last few months.

Based on the post-June 1st cuts we've been making will clear $20m on the cap by then, can imagine we're also looking ahead to getting extensions for Carr and Renfrow signed before pre-season training camps get underway as well.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Rumours Steelers are in for Mathieu.

Fitzpatrick & Mathieu would be the best safety combo in the league surely? If we can add Bobby Wagner to that defense I'd be a happy man.

Adding James Daniels to our o-line was huge, versatile player which we desperately needed.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
There were a few people on Monday including Colin Cowherd that had mentioned Gardner Minshew as a name the Colts were potentially interested in, but since then I've not seen anything else develop regarding that. I've also seen reports pushing the narrative that he'd be a great fit in Seattle, but there are some stories out there saying they may give Lock a chance at the starting gig.

If Trubisky and even Lock are getting another shot at starting jobs, you could make an argument that everyone's favourite cult hero not named Ryan Fitzpatrick should as well. Minshew always looked a more-than reasonable starter to me, but was hampered by being in a Jags team that was intent on tanking in the knowledge of what the 2021 QB prospects looked like.

Agree entirely.

Unless teams are going to try and trade for what appears a quality light draft in terms of QBs.

There are very few things that will make me spontaneously pour a glass of Whisky just after midnight as Thursday ticks over into Friday. My team trading for the best wide receiver in the NFL completely out of nowhere is one of them. Haven't stopped smiling since I saw the news, and still struggling to believe it. What a coup :whisky:

Not sure Aaron Rodgers will feel so good about wanting that massive extension with his current wide receiving options being Allen Lazard...and little else. The fact Adams was apparently offered the same deal financially by the Packers as the Raiders are paying him, but still wanted a move says a lot about how pissed he must be. Once again, they prioritised Rodgers' contract while lowballing Adams until it became clear he might want to leave.

What a way to cap off what's been quite an afternoon and evening of news. From some surprise cuts, to Baker Mayfield - justifiably IMO - wanting out of Cleveland after they went behind his back to court Watson.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
In a surprise U-turn DeShaun Watson has decided he will play for the Browns. Trade includes 3 first round picks! Will earn $184m over the first 4 years of a new deal.

Juju Smith-Schuster to the Cheifs, 1 year $10.25m deal.

Adams to the Raiders, that Rodgers contract looking dumber by the day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here