**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Great game tonight, thought Port were gonna do 'em there for a moment......

Me too, Very upsetting their for a little while. I don't think we will beat Hawthorn next week although i would love to have another crack at the purple menace from over your neck of the woods.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah Southern Tier do a wicked black IPA. These guys just got going in DC, not got the chance to sample yet, but nice web site!

http://atlasbrewworks.com/

I sampled a fair bit of Southern Tier during my aborted marathon trip last year. I think they make the infamous Creme brûlée stout.

I was drinking from a brewery called "Lenny's Artisanal Ales" last night. What the **** have I become did pass through my mind a few times :lol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Currently enjoying a Mikkella Nelson Sauvin Single Hop IPA. Very nice.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
I have a Point Amber and a Point IPA in the kitchen. Are they worth getting up for? I am tired.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I have a Point Amber and a Point IPA in the kitchen. Are they worth getting up for? I am tired.

The IPA is not bad but no over struck on the amber lager. Morrisons seem to be selling plenty of it at the moment on this introductory price malarkey.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just started on my home supplies. Brewdog Jackhammer is up first. West Coast IPA which is nice and citrusy at the start with a very bitter finish. Nice. One of the best Brewdog beers IMHO.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Curious Brew 4.7 -----wonderful

I have just read about this, which is their lager I believe. It sounds wonderful, as you say. It uses Nelson Sauvin hops which I love (I have been drinking the Mikkeller Single Hop IPA Nelson Sauvin recently) It also uses champagne yeast so I'm guessing its a very dry crisp lager?

I will try and get some of this. Thanks.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Guys I have really been enjoying the craft beers recently but one question fridge or not?

this is tricky because beer is not so good warm, but ales lose so much of their flavour and aromas when chilled. ideally you want around 10deg, in the absence of an expensive wine chiller the method ive found work is to keep in the fridge but take out 30-45 before consumption to "unchill".

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
this is tricky because beer is not so good warm, but ales lose so much of their flavour and aromas when chilled. ideally you want around 10deg, in the absence of an expensive wine chiller the method ive found work is to keep in the fridge but take out 30-45 before consumption to "unchill".

It is tricky. Temperature does affect how your palate interprets taste; refrigerated chocolate is a good example. But, the craft beers I prefer tend to be at the more "robust" end of the scale with big flavors which, for me, tend to work well when chilled.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Can anyone recommend an online craft ale 'club', I mean whereby you pay a monthly subscription and they send you random bottles each month?

Thanks x

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Can anyone recommend an online craft ale 'club', I mean whereby you pay a monthly subscription and they send you random bottles each month?

i dont suppose there's the margin to make it worth while, unlike with wine clubs. find the nearest Waitrose, Tesco Extra or similar size Sainsbury, fine the ale section and work your way through. usually find 4 for 3 deals on so 4 bottles for £6. also see the "speciality" or "World" area for the wheatbeer, fancy largers and American IPAs.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
It looks like the ongoing government shutdown in the USA is now starting to affect craft breweries.

Shutdown now affecting craft brewers

It’s bad enough the Republicans holding the government hostage, but now it’s starting to get serious!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
ebonyclip150.png

Came across this little beauty last night. A beer low in alcohol, but bursting with flavour. It looks like a visit to Worthing Beer Festival next week is in order, to work my way through the Goldmark range.

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
I have become quite a fan of these guys;

http://www.dogfishalehouse.com/beers

There is plenty of Dogfish to be had from the local outlets round these parts (Virginia), not sure if it gets across the Pond or not. 60 Minute IPA is a classic.

The 120 Minute IPA looks somewhat interesting.

I love the way some of the beers coming in at a 6% are seen as all day or session beers!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here