**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Yes. I bought shares during Equity Punk II and now get 20% for life discount online, 5% in the bars and I also got a 12 months membership of the Abstakt Club which sends out 3 bottles of 'experimental' artisan beer each month. Great deal.

How much to spend is difficult to say. Delivery is £7 for up to 24 bottles so it makes sense to go for the full case of 24. Bottles from their core range are £1.70-£2.50, the occasional range is £1.70-£3.50 but some of the limited release stuff can be pricey. The Abstrakt range for example is £9.99 a bottle. It is also good to add a couple of interesting guest beers for a bit of variety; Mikeller is very good. For a case of 24 you are probably looking at £50+£7 for PP.

If you're not familiar with their beer it might be an idea to go to Waitrose or Trafalgar Wines in Brighton to buy a few bottles from the core range. The Southover Pub in Brighton has two draft Brewdog beers as well.

Thanks very much.

I have tried 3 of the Beers that are stocked in Sainsburys of which I was not overly enameled with the 5am saint!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks very much.

I have tried 3 of the Beers that are stocked in Sainsburys of which I was not overly enameled with the 5am saint!

I rather like 5AM, each to their own I guess. The drink I'm not keen on is Dead Pony Club; once you have drunk Punk IPA I struggle to see the point. Personally, for me the real fun with Brewdog is their occasional and limited release brews; their single hop series was great, they are currently doing a double-IPA series which goes under the 'My name is.....' handle. The current on is a loganberry double-IPA. Cocoa Psycho is a rather mad imperial stout. They also had a 7.7 ABV barrel aged lager a while back; now this was something special.

Their bars have the full range of core and occasional/limited release beers so if you're in say London drop in and try some of the weird stuff before committing to a case.

Have fun.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I was a that river festival thing in Shoreham yesterday and saw two guys walking around with t-shirts on that were advertising a new craft beer/micro-brewery pub opening soon. I didn't care enough to ask where/when it's opening though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am having a cheeky pint of Hardcore IPA to start my weekend.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Possibly more real ale than craft but I'm a big fan of St Austell's Proper Job and I have just found out they now make Big Job: a cornish double IPA. I must have some of this.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I ate at Black and Blue in Borough Market. London Bridge last night and they had a selection of Craft beers on the menu which was pretty good

Uridium

May 30, 2011
Just back from Virginia and enjoyed many a local brew there but can't remember the names unfortunately.

Also had plenty of Shock Top, Blue Moon and my favourite Samuel Adams. Great thread this, thirsty now!

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
Just back from Virginia and enjoyed many a local brew there but can't remember the names unfortunately.

Also had plenty of Shock Top, Blue Moon and my favourite Samuel Adams. Great thread this, thirsty now!

You are right about Virginia/Mid Atlantic region, it is becoming quite an epi center of independent/craft style brewing. Where were you staying, may give a clue as to what you were sampling. By the way I don't think Shock Top and Blue moon really qualify as craft brews, they are produced by the big boys and distributed in a similar way - could argue that they actually make it harder for the new guys to compete.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I don't think it bashes you like it did when it first came out with the hops. I sometimes wonder if they,ve toned it down because it does seemed balanced tonight, but then again I,m in a good mood at the mo........

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Oakham Citra is one of my favourites, behind Thornbridge's Jaipur and Kipling.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I rather like 5AM, each to their own I guess. The drink I'm not keen on is Dead Pony Club; once you have drunk Punk IPA I struggle to see the point. Personally, for me the real fun with Brewdog is their occasional and limited release brews; their single hop series was great, they are currently doing a double-IPA series which goes under the 'My name is.....' handle. The current on is a loganberry double-IPA. Cocoa Psycho is a rather mad imperial stout. They also had a 7.7 ABV barrel aged lager a while back; now this was something special.

Their bars have the full range of core and occasional/limited release beers so if you're in say London drop in and try some of the weird stuff before committing to a case.

Have fun.

Any news about a possible Brewdog Pub opening in Brighton recently?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Just thought I'd give a heads up to a new beer Morrisons are stocking. They are upping their craft beers now with about 5 or 6 new ones and one that I am trying at his minute is Point IPA from Stevens Point brewery from Wisconsin. Has that west coast IPA taste and is a nice warming 5.6 above. Big hops And only 1.50p a bottle as well at the moment. Get some in...... You know you want to.

Their Amber Lager is a good drop as well.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just thought I'd give a heads up to a new beer Morrisons are stocking. They are upping their craft beers now with about 5 or 6 new ones and one that I am trying at his minute is Point IPA from Stevens Point brewery from Wisconsin. Has that west coast IPA taste and is a nice warming 5.6 above. Big hops And only 1.50p a bottle as well at the moment. Get some in...... You know you want to.

Their Amber Lager is a good drop as well.

You don't have to thank me, but......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports