Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
Good thanks, but busy.

Been traveling a little, plus the cold/snow puts a dent on the lunch trips..

But there are places to be checked out, and I think it is going to get a bit warmer next week so will make an effort. I still haven't been to the Right Proper Brewing Company, although I doubt they open for lunch.
How's things? I've been missing your lunch-time reports.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
As an aside I have a NZ 8-Wired Sauvin Saison in the fridge for home time. As it says on the label it is a saison made with my favourite hop..Nelson Sauvin and it's a 500ml bottle as well. Looking forward to this.

Four Pure are doing a pilot brew today using that hop actually!

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
does anyone else get really wound up at this 'craft' b*llocks. Beer is not crafted for ****s sake, it's brewed. Get you heads put of your americanised arses and get back to being British!

And relax.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
does anyone else get really wound up at this 'craft' b*llocks. Beer is not crafted for ****s sake, it's brewed. Get you heads put of your americanised arses and get back to being British!

And relax.

Britain has some of the best craft brewers around. Drinking craft beer is very British.... if acting British is your thing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

And relax.

PS my arse is Germanised thank you very much.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

And relax.

I don't get wound up. I am just a tad bewildered. Are Harveys craft brewers ? Are Dark Star ? And if so are they craft for their best selling brews, where they copy the style of other breweries, or is it just when they produce a smaller run (like the one they have just done with the Saltaire brewery ?

Or is it based on where it is sold ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Heady Topper is a relative newcomer, but definitely one of my favorites (when I can find a supplier!) It’s an 8% double IPA brewed by Alchemist in Vermont. ‘Beer Advocate’ give it 5 stars which I wouldn’t argue with. I’m sure the purists will think beer in a can is sacrilegious – but I don’t really care.

Attachments

• H Topper.png
    H Topper.png
    177.8 KB · Views: 82

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
Judging by your language I'd say you need to relax! You don't have to read and post on the thread. A few of us enjoy our beer, are excited by the current revoltion in beer, spearheaded by 'craft' brewers, the fact that the new guys on the block are shaking up the big brewers who have done a lot to reduce variety and innovation over the years. It's becoming an international movement, so you're British comment is wide of the market and somewhat confusing.

And relax.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I don't get wound up. I am just a tad bewildered. Are Harveys craft brewers ? Are Dark Star ? And if so are they craft for their best selling brews, where they copy the style of other breweries, or is it just when they produce a smaller run (like the one they have just done with the Saltaire brewery ?

Or is it based on where it is sold ?

I think it means different things to different people DKM. The first big hitter and maybe the start of it all in the U.S. Was Sierra Nevada but would they be classed as a craft brewer now ? - who supposedly are meant to brew in smallish batches but with quality in mind over bland mass production. Nevada though brew lakes of their Pale. Have they left the craft scene ? I still think of them a craft brewer. I tend to think of the word craft meaning..... A skill, an ability, an insight into the brewing process with some sort of imagination. So we can rule out Budweisser and the like.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Judging by your language I'd say you need to relax! You don't have to read and post on the thread. A few of us enjoy our beer, are excited by the current revoltion in beer, spearheaded by 'craft' brewers, the fact that the new guys on the block are shaking up the big brewers who have done a lot to reduce variety and innovation over the years. It's becoming an international movement, so you're British comment is wide of the market and somewhat confusing.

Very much this.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

And relax.

I'm glad the U.S. kick started some parts of the brewing industry over here. I shall raise an APA to them tonight.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Just followed a Meantime Yakima Red with a very good Siren Liquid Red IPA. It's very very nice. Based in Berkshire apparently.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just followed a Meantime Yakima Red with a very good Siren Liquid Red IPA. It's very very nice. Based in Berkshire apparently.

Good call. Yakima Red is a wonderful beer.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
:bigwave:My wife got me a subscription to Beerbods for Xmas where they send you a box of 12 and although there are a few ordinaries in there I have tasted some new ones like this Sirens IPA. Am going to cleanse my pallet with a Sunburst before I venture in again.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
:bigwave:My wife got me a subscription to Beerbods for Xmas where they send you a box of 12 and although there are a few ordinaries in there I have tasted some new ones like this Sirens IPA. Am going to cleanse my pallet with a Sunburst before I venture in again.

Hmmm, Beerbods you say? My birthday soon, this sounds like a gift I deserve.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here