Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Brewdog have been developing a craft beer specification so that true craft can carry a badge proclaiming the fact. I read it is based on a US definition; is this used at all?

Whilst the likes of me, you and others on this thread will be able to spot the fraudsters I do worry for others and their now confusing road to enlightenment.

Ooh a CAMRA for craft beers - splitters !

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I've never really joined the Brewdog fanclub as in my opinion the beer is overrated. Now I shant be having another one after reading this.

Then Watt told us of he and Dickie’s experience at some young entrepreneur’s award interview. This ‘feminist,’ he complained, was upset at the portrayal of women in their marketing material, including the fetishisation of lesbians. Watt did not use the word fetishisation.

A feminist quizzed us on the appropriateness of calling a beer ‘Trashy Blonde’ and using the word ‘lesbian’ in some of our promotional material. To which Martin responded;
I have nothing against lesbians at all, in fact I have some DVDs at home of just lesbians’. It went down like a lead balloon and we did not win this award.
I don’t recall if that’s the exact quote or not – but close enough, it’s a cut and paste from the Brewdog blog.

Here’s the kind of marketing material that dirty feminist was speaking of:

“A titillating, neurotic, peroxide, punk of a pale ale. Combining attitude, style, substance and a little bit of low self esteem for good measure; what would your mother
…but you just can’t get the compulsive malt body and gorgeous dirty blonde colour out of your head. The seductive lure of the sassy passion fruit hop proves too much to resist. All that is even before we get onto the fact that there are no additives preservatives, pasteurization or strings attached.

All wrapped up with the customary BrewDog bite and imaginative twist. This trashy blonde is going to get you into a lot of trouble.”

I thought that was quite funny.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm sure the entire gay community wouldn't share your opinion!
You're quite right, I doubt if the entire community would but some of them might.
I think you're taking a newspaper report from 2 years ago far too seriously.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm sure the entire gay community wouldn't share your opinion!

It was a dumb comment without doubt, one which I cannot defend. But I have a feeling the journalist has an agenda with them; it's an incredibly long article about a single stupid remark. I've not heard any other reports of this behavior so I am putting it down one-off ****wittery. I don't approve of it but equally I won't beat them over it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm enjoying a very nice 6% IPA from Weird Beard Brewery called Hit The Lights. I think this might be inspired by the Metallica song of the same name as they have a stout called Fade To Black. Clean, fruity and bitter.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Finished off my Triple Chocolate Stout from Saltaire brewery last night. Lovely staff. They have some great beers

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Now drinking a Thornbridge Saint Petersburg Imperial Russian Stout. Very nice.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Anyone had the Dark Star/Saltaire Bock combo yet ? It was on in the Evening Star tonight but After lining my stomach with a few APA's had to nip off quick.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Brewdog have been developing a craft beer specification so that true craft can carry a badge proclaiming the fact. I read it is based on a US definition; is this used at all?

Whilst the likes of me, you and others on this thread will be able to spot the fraudsters I do worry for others and their now confusing road to enlightenment.

Didn't you say Camra were being arsey about their definition about what was real beer?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
I don't think they understand the production volume limits too well, clearly Amsterl, Guiness and Heinekin, just a few on that list do not qualify.

Maybe a few do.

There is a bit of a trend too, to call anything that is not weak, fizzy Euro lager, or flat old mans ale, 'craft' beer, especially if its foreign and comes in a pretty bottle or can and can't be bought in Tesco.
Interesting. I'd say their beer list is more continental brands as opposed to craft. What do others think?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is it really less arsey than a beer maker deciding what is and isn't a craft beer?

I personally think they're two different things. Brewdog are trying to get something together, via collaborative discussion, so that the public do not get fooled with the numerous businesses now jumping on the craft beer bandwagon. I think this is a good idea. And I understand it will not be a Brewdog stamp of approval but some mark to indicate the brewery is a craft brewery as defined by the agreement. Camra do the same thing with their definition of real ale and I have no issue with them promoting and putting a stamp on cask conditioned ale; in fact I welcome this. What I do have an issue with is that they have a view that non-cask conditioned brewers, who make excellent beers IMHO, are not worthy.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't think they understand the production volume limits too well, clearly Amsterl, Guiness and Heinekin, just a few on that list do not qualify.

Maybe a few do.

There is a bit of a trend too, to call anything that is not weak, fizzy Euro lager, or flat old mans ale, 'craft' beer, especially if its foreign and comes in a pretty bottle or can and can't be bought in Tesco.

How's things? I've been missing your lunch-time reports.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside I have a NZ 8-Wired Sauvin Saison in the fridge for home time. As it says on the label it is a saison made with my favourite hop..Nelson Sauvin and it's a 500ml bottle as well. Looking forward to this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here