Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*** Official Match Thread : Italy v Costa Rica ***

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
They are so well organised; it's a classic case of the team being greater than the sum of its parts. You'll never get that with England; club football is too important here, and the players don't prioritise international duty until a couple of weeks before a big tournament.

I agree with all you say there. But do you know how long this Costa Rica have been together before this tournament?

I remember either Japan or South Korea (maybe even both) having about six months together prior to the tournament that they hosted, but I'm curious to know what other teams also do this, if any?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Five minutes to go and Italy string together half a dozen lazy passes in their own half like they hadn't a care in the world. And far less urgency than Garcia-era Albion.

Anybody else smell fish? ???

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
All of a sudden, Italy look average by their historic standards. 2 games, just 2 goals (unfortunately for us, against a hapless Hart/Baines & co).

Costa Rica with their dynamism and energy all over the pitch, should be favourites against us. But will Hodgson be brave in his formation and selection, bearing in mind the experience for the future?

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Speaking as one who drew CR in the office sweepstake, there's always a silver lining. Saying that, CR have earned both victories by having a plan, sticking to it and working hard. You can't say the same of any of the other teams in this so far. England have lacked quality and have been naive, Italy and Uruguay have both been lazy and underestimated Costa Rica.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
well thats that then, thanks Italy, I hope you go out too :angry:

I think that does a disservice to Costa Rica. It was more about Costa Rica playing so well than Italy not turning up tonight. We only have ourselves to blame. No point relying on others to do the work for us.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You are living in the past. We either try to change now and look forward to the future or do it again in 4 years time.

3 of the past players would have kept us in but Hodgson bowed to press pressure and chose players who were not ready and stuck
with them when a change back was needed. He shouldnt have brought on either Lallana or Barkley last night as experience was needed.

Last edited:

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Had a chat with an friend about 3 mins ago, very short call cause he was ranting! Some of his woes...............

"My Grandad is turning in his grave, my 84 year old father is furious, I'm furious! My Son is bereft at the humiliation and the yet to be born will be p**ssed off until England WIN something, believe me mate it aint the ref, our opponents its US, yes US we are f**king worse than Scotland!"

Had to chuckle and share it!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
All the press who virtually picked the squad Cole and Defoe should have been there abd he shoukd have done everything to get Terry in for this last tournament. Those chosen in preference didnt do anything to help us.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think that does a disservice to Costa Rica. It was more about Costa Rica playing so well than Italy not turning up tonight. We only have ourselves to blame. No point relying on others to do the work for us.

Completely agree with you. England playing well against Italy was an illusion. We basically had 1 or 2 attacking players do well, but we left so much space, so many gaps that it appeared the genius Pirlo unpicked us, and we had played well in defeat. I said so at the time, we didn't play well, a better side would have put us to the sword. Close down Pirlo's space and passing options as Costa Rica did, and you're left with a shadow of a player in front of you.

Nothing to do with Italy not turning up today - this is how good they are, and this is what a talented, hardworking well drilled side will do to them….and us for that matter!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here