Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*** Official Match Thread : Italy v Costa Rica ***

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Tough group. One of CR, Italy and Uruguay won't make it. They would have done well in another group.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Can't see Italy busting a gut when they're already through and can get rid of two serious rivals at a stroke.

Eh? Even if Italy WIN THIS GAME, they're still not qualified. They're in trouble right now.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
All round nightmare so far this match, Lineacre looks daft in an Italian shirt, Savage is a complete twunt, Balotelli finishing like Obika, Costa Rica looking soooo much better than us.

Here's a song to cheer us all up.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Expecting them to step up a gear and win this one comfortably.

And even then they still haven't qualified. They won't feel safe at 0-0 vs. Uruguay, they'll want to win that one too.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
If CR win this we are out, as the Italy-Uru game will leave one of them on six points with a win, or both on four points with a draw. The best we can finish with is three points...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If CR win this we are out, as the Italy-Uru game will leave one of them on six points with a win, or both on four points with a draw. The best we can finish with is three points...

Anything but 2 Italy wins and we are out.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The Italians are struggling in this heat. No drinks breaks unless the temp reaches 32 degrees (!), according to Fifa rules - so humidity stupidly isn't taken into account. Be interesting to see what rules they have in place for Qatar. Presumably drinks breaks every 5 minutes?

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
I wonder why BBC and ITV insist of stripping the original English commentary and dubbing in their own two commentators for each match. I reckon the original comm. is a lot better than Savage and co.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The whole we don't have enough players playing at a decent level is pretty mute when Costa Rica have players in mls and Danish league

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
Watching CR, there's not particularly amazing skills there, just hard work, tactically excellent and closing down not letting Italy play their game. No reason at all why England could not have done that even with our players. Shows how far behind the rest of the world we are now.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It might be easy to say Italy haven't turned up here today.

Fact is Costa Rica are proving that so far they are the best team in the group. Work hard when not in possession, know how to neutralise threats, and play football when they do have the ball. Never resort to the ultra negative tactics of Greece or the out and out filth of Honduras. They deserve to top the group and I hope they go far in this tournament if they continue to play like this.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Problem with this result is that the 3rd group matches are played at the same time!
So when we play Costa Rica there should be a humdinger of a game between Uruguay and Italy going on.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Watching CR, there's not particularly amazing skills there, just hard work, tactically excellent and closing down not letting Italy play their game. No reason at all why England could not have done that even with our players. Shows how far behind the rest of the world we are now.

They are so well organised; it's a classic case of the team being greater than the sum of its parts. You'll never get that with England; club football is too important here, and the players don't prioritise international duty until a couple of weeks before a big tournament.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here