Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I know this is the wrong thread maybe
But with Ostigard Clarke Van Hecke & Roberts in waiting
I truly believe it was one of the reasons for Burns departure
Which was in the current market a better deal for the Toon than us imho
We sold DB too cheaply especially to a team in desperate need

It's as good a thread as any, I think!

There may well have been succession planning at CB for us - I think the Burn thing came too soon and too quickly for us though. In retrospect, of we'd known our remaining CBs were suddenly going to be plagued by injuries and suspension leaving the CB cupboard uncomfortably bare (plus the fact that GP - and maybe Covid - aren't going to get Roberts a PL start for a while) maybe we should have recalled a loanee.

Not van Hecke though, I don't think - he is having an excellent season at Blackburn and significantly enhancing his reputation (and potential value). Not quite doing a Ben White, perhaps - Blackburn fans do nt create the noise that Leeds fans did, but it would be drastic not to let him see out the season. Maybe Clarke from WBA would have been the best to recall. Left sided, a lot of Championship experience. and doing a solid job, but without getting the plaudits from WBA fans that he got from his two years at Derby. Has been dropped by their new manager too - but Steve Bruce only came in after the window closed, so you'd have needed a crystal ball to make a decision based on that!

In the meantime, if we can just get through the season with Dunk, Webster and Vektman fit and available we should be OK. Nothing in reserve though - we'll see if taking a knock down £13M (Saudi United fans' general opinion, not just mine) for Burn now instead of nothing in the summer was worth the risk.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I know this is the wrong thread maybe
But with Ostigard Clarke Van Hecke & Roberts in waiting
I truly believe it was one of the reasons for Burns departure
Which was in the current market a better deal for the Toon than us imho
We sold DB too cheaply especially to a team in desperate need

Out of those I really think we'll see JPVH next season.

The others... doubt it. Östigårds "dont want to stay unless I'm a guaranteed starter" thing is not going to work out so he'll be sold somewhere. Clarke is a good Championship defender but I just dont think he is good enough for the PL, probably will be sold to a Championship team. Roberts is in absolutely desperate need of a loan.

Could also see Duffy leaving if there are any offers.

My guess is that the CBs for next season will be Dunk, Webster, Veltman, Van Hecke and a new signing.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006

There may well have been succession planning at CB for us - I think the Burn thing came too soon and too quickly for us though. In retrospect, of we'd known our remaining CBs were suddenly going to be plagued by injuries and suspension leaving the CB cupboard uncomfortably bare (plus the fact that GP - and maybe Covid - aren't going to get Roberts a PL start for a while) maybe we should have recalled a loanee.

Not van Hecke though, I don't think - he is having an excellent season at Blackburn and significantly enhancing his reputation (and potential value). Not quite doing a Ben White, perhaps - Blackburn fans do nt create the noise that Leeds fans did, but it would be drastic not to let him see out the season. Maybe Clarke from WBA would have been the best to recall. Left sided, a lot of Championship experience. and doing a solid job, but without getting the plaudits from WBA fans that he got from his two years at Derby. Has been dropped by their new manager too - but Steve Bruce only came in after the window closed, so you'd have needed a crystal ball to make a decision based on that!

In the meantime, if we can just get through the season with Dunk, Webster and Vektman fit and available we should be OK. Nothing in reserve though - we'll see if taking a knock down £13M (Saudi United fans' general opinion, not just mine) for Burn now instead of nothing in the summer was worth the risk.

TBF I have not looked too closely at the deal I was under the impression he had 18 months to go If it was only 6 months that’s amazing £££
Either way The club were happy So under this regime I’m OK with it

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

The social media comment from Blackburn on Van Hecke is very Leeds like today, I have to say. Next thing they’ll be claiming they discovered him and made him the player he is, and that the 1.8m fee we paid 18 months ago was just for the LOLs.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
TBF I have not looked too closely at the deal I was under the impression he had 18 months to go If it was only 6 months that’s amazing £££
Either way The club were happy So under this regime I’m OK with it

I thought he was out of contract this summer, others have said next summer, but it was reported to be a 4 year deal when he signed which would have taken him to this summer, but maybe there was an extension?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I thought he was out of contract this summer, others have said next summer, but it was reported to be a 4 year deal when he signed which would have taken him to this summer, but maybe there was an extension?

He signed a new deal either last year or the year before that

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Either way, the price would have been less in the summer.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The social media comment from Blackburn on Van Hecke is very Leeds like today, I have to say. Next thing they’ll be claiming they discovered him and made him the player he is, and that the 1.8m fee we paid 18 months ago was just for the LOLs.

And Mowbray is talking absolute shite too:

Blackburn manager Tony Mowbray:

"What a threat Khadra is to anybody, and yet can we sit here and criticise him for missing chances? Maybe, because if he wants to play in the Premier League for Brighton, he's got to take those chances.”

If he think that missing good chances is any detriment to a Brighton player getting selected, he’s living in cloud cuckoo land!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And Mowbray is talking absolute shite too:

Blackburn manager Tony Mowbray:

"What a threat Khadra is to anybody, and yet can we sit here and criticise him for missing chances? Maybe, because if he wants to play in the Premier League for Brighton, he's got to take those chances.”

If he think that missing good chances is any detriment to a Brighton player getting selected, he’s living in cloud cuckoo land!
Missing good chances may be a detriment to him edging ahead of Maupay, Trossard and co. for a starting place at the Albion though. Talented (and quick) though he may be, there are more sources than just Mowbray suggesting he needs to work on his decision making.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Looking more and more (in retrospect, and in hindsight of course) like we should have recalled Matt Clarke. Not only would he have provided us with a experienced Championship level left sided CB to enable us to carry on with a viable three at the back following Burn's departure - but now West Brom's new manager (Steve Bruce) has decided to drop him, after he's been their most consistant defender most of the season.

Steve Bruce has just lost his first two matches in charge of West Brom. He's managed to do this whilst also dropping Clarke.....................

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Was surprised to see Östigård not start for Cagliari tonight but then remembered there was a logical explanation.. he is playing for Genoa.

Quiet weekend so far for the loanees. Taylor "Taylor-Richards" Richards on the Brum bench, no sign of Sima for Stroke though he should be getting close now if everything has gone as it should. Clarke played 90 for WBA. Fulham beat the Blackburn duo (Khadra subbed at half-time due to a knock but appears to be nothing serious). Teddy Jenks on the Aberdeen bench for the entire game.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Was surprised to see Östigård not start for Cagliari tonight but then remembered there was a logical explanation.. he is playing for Genoa.

Quiet weekend so far for the loanees. Taylor "Taylor-Richards" Richards on the Brum bench, no sign of Sima for Stroke though he should be getting close now if everything has gone as it should. Clarke played 90 for WBA. Fulham beat the Blackburn duo (Khadra subbed at half-time due to a knock but appears to be nothing serious). Teddy Jenks on the Aberdeen bench for the entire game.

Not a great day for some of our other loanees either. Cochrane slipping dow the pecking order at Hearts since they've gone from 3-4-3 to 4-2-3-1. Came in early as a substitute after an injury, then got taken off himself 30 minues later with a comcussion injury. Tolaj not getting a look in at Cambridge, and although Bruce seems to have learned his lesson about Clarke, he still doesn't seem to be keen on Molumby, who only got a few mminutes yesterday.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not a great day for some of our other loanees either. Cochrane slipping dow the pecking order at Hearts since they've gone from 3-4-3 to 4-2-3-1. Came in early as a substitute after an injury, then got taken off himself 30 minues later with a comcussion injury. Tolaj not getting a look in at Cambridge, and although Bruce seems to have learned his lesson about Clarke, he still doesn't seem to be keen on Molumby, who only got a few mminutes yesterday.

Too bad about Cochrane, looks class every time I see him. Perhaps not PL level (hard to tell) but a good player. As for Molumby I dont really see him as a Brighton player.. as I understand it they loaned him with an obligation (rather than option) to buy but still sad to see it has all gone a bit downhill for him. Maybe he should have gone for a slightly less ambitious Championship club.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Too bad about Cochrane, looks class every time I see him. Perhaps not PL level (hard to tell) but a good player. As for Molumby I dont really see him as a Brighton player.. as I understand it they loaned him with an obligation (rather than option) to buy but still sad to see it has all gone a bit downhill for him. Maybe he should have gone for a slightly less ambitious Championship club.

In retrospect, we should have taken Millwall's club record offer for Molumby - he had a terrific season there and the fans loved him.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Our new Polish teen kacper kozłowski came on for RUSG at half time, played 20 minutes and then was subbed off. Injury ? Disastrous form ? Anyone know ?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Ostigard is currently playing for Genoa (v Empoli) live on BT Sport. It’s 0-0.
He’s just had a fine header saved off the line

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports