Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official cycling thread

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Very impressive, although i would have loved to see you when your cadence got up to 137!

I know, I was surprised, and worryingly I can't even remember when it might have happened!!.
I did notice a getting my cadence getting comfortably over 100, but not that far over!.

Pat McCrotch

Lurker
Oct 25, 2005
Shoreham-by-the-sea
Anyone out today?

It was my first time out with my Garmin 705 - Edge, which means, for one post only, (unless I do something spectacular) I can blind a load of people with numbers they don't care about!.

Distance - 36.00 miles
time - 01.53:41
Ave speed - 19 mph
Top speed - 31.8 mph
Ave Cadence - 83 rpm
Max Cad - 137 rpm
Elevation gained - 1,235 ft
Ele lost - 1,242 ft
Ave heart rate - 157 bpm
Max h/r - 186 bpm :ohmy:
Calories - 2712C
Avg Moving Pace: 03:07 min/mi
Best Pace: 01:55 min/mi

You've got to love technology.

That is bloody good going. I was out today, Shoreham to Littlehampton and back.

29.2 miles
1h.38m.20s
ave: 17.9mph
max 26.9mph
1877kcal

tackling a 56 mile sportive in the New Forest in a couple of weeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That Dorchester Loop looks a bit messy, LiL.
I know the Bridport area well, and can't help thinking you did that the wrong way!.
The coast round at Abbotsbury is bad enough, but the long drag up to Beaminster must have hurt to.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Where you out early Pat, as the 3 of us were going along the coast road to Shoreham from 8:30 to about 9.

Oh and is that the Wiggle Series, you're doing?, I'm not, but one of 'my proteges' is.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
That Dorchester Loop looks a bit messy.
I know the Bridport area well, and can't help thinking you did that the wrong way!.
The coast round at Abbotsbury is bad enough, but the long drag up to Beaminster must have hurt to.

In the end we didn't actually follow that route exactly, but I remember that climb well. Messy and very nearly beyond me! Luckily my friend had some problem with my bike so i just had to stop and wait for him!

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
I did that Sportive last year, really enjoyed it. Watch out for the 25% hill, it literally pops out of nowhere and last year they had a photographer at the top. Remember to try and smile!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I always remind people to 'suck it in, boys, cameraman ahead'.
I guess that says more about me, though!.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I did brilliantly today, really pleased. Three two-litre bottles of Coke, two bottles of wine, a tub of Utterly Butterly and an Argos catalogue.

:edit:

Shit, sorry. Thought this was the recycling thread.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
I used to ride every day but stopped for a few years. I've just bought a new bike so I'm back on the roads most days even if it is only to work and back. I thought I would be older and wiser but I still find I have the same old problem - if I see a bike in the distance I just HAVE to catch it and overtake and once you've done that you have to keep going to ensure that you leave it behind. Makes most rides hotter and more uncomfortable but just can't seem to break the habit. Does anybody have a solution?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd be more worried if that wasn't the case.
Our Lancing sprint this morning was due to a 'target' being spotted, in the distance.

The others went off like rockets, I didn't realise I was travelling so well, dropped down into my bottom gear, and found myself doing 30+mph eating up the ground and taking everyone like they were going backwards. Happy days.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I did brilliantly today, really pleased. Three two-litre bottles of Coke, two bottles of wine, a tub of Utterly Butterly and an Argos catalogue.
You need to have a good hard look at your diet, Easy.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not the day to think at 1pm 'well it hasn't rained for a while, I'm going to get a few miles in'.

Blooming poured down, t'other side of the downs, and I certainly didn't need, wet roads, strong cross wind, blurred vision on a long fast decent coming home.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I appreciate this has/will rapidly turn into a one man thread a la 'Scanny and the roulette machine' but I will persist!.

We had another cracking ride, this morning, out to Chi and up to Goodwood.
Over 1700ft climbing, which even, King of the Mountains Colin, was beginning to feel, towards the end.

Another else?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ireland should be great, I don't think of it as being pancake flat, but I know fook all.

As usual I have more than half an eye on this, for 2012:-

The Raid Pyrenean | Road Cycling Holidays

Sadly it's going to take losing a couple of stone, which isn't easy when you're the wrong side of 40.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Me again!
We managed a good northerly ride today, up from the coast to Monk's Gate, Cowfold, and back.
A really enjoyable 50 miles with a good average time to boot.

All this on top of two 20 mile 'sprints' in the week, happy happy days.

I can't believe this is a full year ago:-
I've nearly got a tip, for you all.
Our man is nearer 18-1, this year.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Seems like an apt time to bounce what is obviously just 'my own thread'.

It's been nearly a month since my last confession, 5 rides and 120 miles later.

You can't tell me nobody else on NSC has been on a bike, to the shops, work, over the downs, on the road.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I was off work over the easter period. Went back to work today and cycled in (5 miles). It was a mostly uneventful journey. Some fences along the seafront have those weights at the bottom that have narrowed the cycle lane.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Seems like an apt time to bounce what is obviously just 'my own thread'.

It's been nearly a month since my last confession, 5 rides and 120 miles later.

You can't tell me nobody else on NSC has been on a bike, to the shops, work, over the downs, on the road.

Me, me I have ridden my bike somewhere. See the Royal wedding thread. Still building myself back up to fitness at the moment might try a 30 miler tomorrow not sure what route to do. Any suggestions leaving from central Brighton?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here