Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official allotment thread.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Sowed Golden beetroot, spring onions, kale, chantennay carrots, red lettuce and normal carrots on the allotment....all germinated.

Sowed Runner beans, courgettes and sweetcorn a week ago in my dads little plastic greenhouse and sweetcorn is up.

Sowed Parsnips on damp kitchen towel...no sign yet.

Bought leek seedlings, spinach seedlings and seed potatoes, to go in this week

Still got to sow....Swede, purple sprouting broccoli, pak choi, french climbing beans (green and yellow), sprouts and maybe more beetroot, carrots, onions etc.
Also sowing some wallflower seeds too.

Had a huge trailer full of 8 year old horse poo delivered yesterday. My mate has an plot 2 away from mine so we're taking on the plot in the middle and going to use it for wild flowers etc. Can't wait.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Sowed Golden beetroot, spring onions, kale, chantennay carrots, red lettuce and normal carrots on the allotment....all germinated.

Sowed Runner beans, courgettes and sweetcorn a week ago in my dads little plastic greenhouse and sweetcorn is up.

Sowed Parsnips on damp kitchen towel...no sign yet.

Bought leek seedlings, spinach seedlings and seed potatoes, to go in this week

Still got to sow....Swede, purple sprouting broccoli, pak choi, french climbing beans (green and yellow), sprouts and maybe more beetroot, carrots, onions etc.
Also sowing some wallflower seeds too.

Had a huge trailer full of 8 year old horse poo delivered yesterday. My mate has an plot 2 away from mine so we're taking on the plot in the middle and going to use it for wild flowers etc. Can't wait.

Local stables near us, cannot get rid of the stuff quick enough.
The horses just keep producing it......:lol:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
View attachment 122849

Any tips [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION] :)

My 20 year old bed still producing well. Been picking since April 10th in warm Hove.

7C78796E-6082-43D7-AD9E-E85782AE8BB4.jpeg

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Thats brilliant going, ours still have acne.
They are about 10+ YO.

They turned the water on in the end, after I’d spent 2 days building excessive rain collection guttering. It looked like Mouse Trap. We were lucky a line of 40 allotments had theirs not turned on due to the leak and need to walk 50m+ to get to a tap.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
They turned the water on in the end, after I’d spent 2 days building excessive rain collection guttering. It looked like Mouse Trap. We were lucky a line of 40 allotments had theirs not turned on due to the leak and need to walk 50m+ to get to a tap.

I still cannot believe your local council turned the water off, utter madness.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Anyones spuds shrivelled up?

Anyones potato plants get caught with last nights cold snap.
We have several shrivelled plants, even though they were earthed and covered up.
Hopefully all will be well :thumbsup:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Anyones potato plants get caught with last nights cold snap.
We have several shrivelled plants, even though they were earthed and covered up.
Hopefully all will be well :thumbsup:

I have it on good authority from an old boy that if your spuds get frosted, cut the affected shoots off just below the soil surface level, otherwise the frost damage can go all the way down to the tuber and kill it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I still cannot believe your local council turned the water off, utter madness.

Ours turn the water supply off over winter to prevent frost damage cracking the pipes.... normally back on by time of last frosts about late April.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I have it on good authority from an old boy that if your spuds get frosted, cut the affected shoots off just below the soil surface level, otherwise the frost damage can go all the way down to the tuber and kill it.

Cheers for that :thumbsup:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Brilliant.
We're experimenting with layering goosberry bush branches, hoping to get new ones for next year.

They will probably take very well, did this accidently with a Blackcurrant bush when I trod on a low level branch and cracked it and left it pushed in to the topsoil inadvertently.... last Autumn I pruned my Blackcurrant bushes to get the old wood out and was going to dry the stems out and use on barbeques to add extra aroma..... I left the cuttings over winter in my greenhouse … right under a leak in the roof, when I checked in March the shoots were in 4" of water in the bucket I left them in.... 50% of them had grown roots ! so, potted them up and they have taken !

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
They will probably take very well, did this accidently with a Blackcurrant bush when I trod on a low level branch and cracked it and left it pushed in to the topsoil inadvertently.... last Autumn I pruned my Blackcurrant bushes to get the old wood out and was going to dry the stems out and use on barbeques to add extra aroma..... I left the cuttings over winter in my greenhouse … right under a leak in the roof, when I checked in March the shoots were in 4" of water in the bucket I left them in.... 50% of them had grown roots ! so, potted them up and they have taken !

You see things are meant to happen, even inadvertently:lol:
Good idea for the stems, we use them for stopping pigeons etc....pecking at our greens, sticking them in and around, which does work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here