Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official allotment thread.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Gave up my allotment a few years back as it became too much for me to dig and weed etc and none of my son were interested so now just have a couple of potato tubs and grow bags for Runners. When I had the allotment I used to buy the runners all ready started but that man has now retired. So simple question when can I sow the runner beans directly into the bags without starting them indoors?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
[MENTION=28934]AmexRuislip[/MENTION] you’ve been working hard there, on the rare dry days?!

Should be a very lucrative crop.

B52DE461-FB7D-4F29-8C50-05B7EBFCA260.png

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Just had a meeting with the council and Tandridge District Council are looking at planning applications on allotments in Caterham and Smallfields. So much for green space and wellbieng.
Hoping to get out in the next couple of weeks and dig over but it's really boggy at present.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just had a meeting with the council and Tandridge District Council are looking at planning applications on allotments in Caterham and Smallfields. So much for green space and wellbieng.
Hoping to get out in the next couple of weeks and dig over but it's really boggy at present.

I am sure that I read somewhere, worth looking up, or it was possibly mentioned at our AGM, when I had one, that councils could not give planning permission if more than a certain number wanted to keep the allotments apparently it is written in old law, which councils try to circumvent.

This came up when somebody suggested that the land that a large area of allotments in Haywards Heath was worth a lot to the council who own the land and asked if the council would or could sell up.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I am sure that I read somewhere, worth looking up, or it was possibly mentioned at our AGM, when I had one, that councils could not give planning permission if more than a certain number wanted to keep the allotments apparently it is written in old law, which councils try to circumvent.

This came up when somebody suggested that the land that a large area of allotments in Haywards Heath was worth a lot to the council who own the land and asked if the council would or could sell up.

Thanks, would you have any access to these details, save me some time. Problem here in Caterham is land is a premium and the council are under pressure to build.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
This may help or give some guidance:

Allotments and the law
www.allotmoreallotments.org.uk/legislation.htm
15/03/2012 · The Small Holdings and Allotments Act 1908- deals with the Provision of Allotments, Powers of Councils and Acquisition of Land. The The Allotments Act 1925- specifies that land purchased or appropriated by local authorities for use as allotments must not be disposed of without Ministerial consent. The Secretary of State must be satisfied that 'adequate provision will be made for allotment holders displaced by the action of the local authority, or that such provision is unnecessary or not ...

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Gave up my allotment a few years back as it became too much for me to dig and weed etc and none of my son were interested so now just have a couple of potato tubs and grow bags for Runners. When I had the allotment I used to buy the runners all ready started but that man has now retired. So simple question when can I sow the runner beans directly into the bags without starting them indoors?

According to the seed pack of St George runner beans I have in front of me, sow indoors April to June, outdoors May to June. Plant out indoor raised crop in June. Harvest August to September.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
According to the seed pack of St George runner beans I have in front of me, sow indoors April to June, outdoors May to June. Plant out indoor raised crop in June. Harvest August to September.

Many thanks I thought it was about the location in the UK and varying temps. I am sure the old chap I bought mine from said he put his in on Good Friday under covering, but I wasnt certain.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Many thanks I thought it was about the location in the UK and varying temps. I am sure the old chap I bought mine from said he put his in on Good Friday under covering, but I wasnt certain.

You can try growing runners in cheap tomato grow bags on a patio, if you haven't got a garden.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Just had a delivery so over the last two days put in new potatoes, onions, leeks, squash and sun flowers. My business closed for a month and the allotment was my salvation.
Need to get a few plants and hoping garden centres will reopen soon for my sanity.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just had a delivery so over the last two days put in new potatoes, onions, leeks, squash and sun flowers. My business closed for a month and the allotment was my salvation.
Need to get a few plants and hoping garden centres will reopen soon for my sanity.

Put all the seed potatoes I had bought in about 3 weeks ago but have noticed that when I go to the supermarket lots of the " Baby Potato's" are in fact last years crop that has been stored. Had a bag of Charlottes that I bought 3 weeks ago go sprouting crazy so I'm going to put those in in the next couple of days.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Think I planted my runners too early (indoors) gone mad so have put them out after a few days of hardening off. They'll have to take their chance now. I ordered seed pots, after a few days got a message to say nil stock, so ordered from elsewhere and yes, the others turned up, run out of space to put them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here