Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] ****Official 2022 AFCON thread****

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Wow

Equatorial Guinea 1-0 up after Algeria dominating the game.. final 15 minutes are going to be crazy

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Read that some of the AFCON games would be shown live free to air on the BBC (two quarter finals, the semis and the final - plus five others). Has anybody found one of these and watched it on the BBC yet? They certainly aren't being widely publicised!
Any tips about which matchesm and just where access to them is lurking/being hidden would be much apprecated! :thumbsup:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Read that some of the AFCON games would be shown live free to air on the BBC (two quarter finals, the semis and the final - plus five others). Has anybody found one of these and watched it on the BBC yet? They certainly aren't being widely publicised!
Any tips about which matchesm and just where access to them is lurking/being hidden would be much apprecated! :thumbsup:

might be on the red button channel, 99- somthing

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
might be on the red button channel, 99- somthing

On Virgin, that's known as the red buffering channel! No publicity though - nothing anywhere on BBC website or programme listing telling you this match is on live on ....................... wherever it is.

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004

Look on iplayer or BBC Sport website. The semi finals and final are being shown on BBC3 (which will have been re-instated as a terrestrial channel by then)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Look on iplayer or BBC Sport website. The semi finals and final are being shown on BBC3 (which will have been re-instated as a terrestrial channel by then)
Only appears to show what's on live now (bowls) or what's already been on - like two of the ten AFCON matches they promised us but didn't publicise which ones, where and when. I might have been able to watch them live had I been fortunate enough to tune in to iPlayer just as it was happening, but no apparant way of knowing ib advance where oe when that would be.

You'd've hoped they might have mentioned it on their front football page ...........

Last edited:

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
Only appears to show what's on live now (bowls) or what's already been on - like two of the ten AFCON matches they promised us but didn't publicise which ones, where and when. I might have been able to watch them live had I been fortunate enough to tune in to iPlayer just as it was happening, but no apparant way of knowing ib advance where oe when that would be.

You'd've hoped they might have mentioned it on their front football page ...........

Yeah, a list of somesort would be nice...

So far they've only shown Gabon v Ghana. Ivory Coast v Algeria is next on Thurday. Maybe they're waiting until the round of 16 fixtures are finalised before selecting which games they want to show? (if my maths is right they will be covering three round of 16 games?)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

So far they've only shown Gabon v Ghana. Ivory Coast v Algeria is next on Thurday. Maybe they're waiting until the round of 16 fixtures are finalised before selecting which games they want to show? (if my maths is right they will be covering three round of 16 games?)

Final, semi-finals, two quarter finals - and five (near secret!) others, they said. Strange they're so reticent about them though - if Sky only had ten to show, they'd be shouted all over SSN anf TalkSport every 5 minutes for 48 hours before kick iff!

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Ghana, with the likes of Partey, Ayew x 2 and Amartey, have just crashed out losing 2-3 to the mighty Comoros.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Egypt vs Sudan at 7pm - The Nile Derby.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

They showed Nigeria v Egypt.

I know, because I watched it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
On Virgin, that's known as the red buffering channel! No publicity though - nothing anywhere on BBC website or programme listing telling you this match is on live on ....................... wherever it is.

If you use the Fotmob app (THE best football by a country mile) it'll show you which channels each game is being shown on.

Careful though. Sometimes it'll say BBC iPlayer when in fact that just means on Radio 5 via BBC Sounds. That's what it did for our game last night.

Alternatively just web search for football on TV and you'll get a daily list there. https://www.live-footballontv.com/

Ivory Coast v Algeria is live on BBC iPlayer tomorrow. KO 4pm.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If you use the Fotmob app (THE best football by a country mile) it'll show you which channels each game is being shown on.

Careful though. Sometimes it'll say BBC iPlayer when in fact that just means on Radio 5 via BBC Sounds. That's what it did for our game last night.

Alternatively just web search for football on TV and you'll get a daily list there. https://www.live-footballontv.com/

Ivory Coast v Algeria is live on BBC iPlayer tomorrow. KO 4pm.

Thanks. For various reasons I stay away from the streams, even though I realise many people are fine with them. I will have a go at finding the match on iPlayer tomorrow though. :thumbsup:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Ghana, with the likes of Partey, Ayew x 2 and Amartey, have just crashed out losing 2-3 to the mighty Comoros.

i only learnt of Comoros yesturday. i thought at first it was a nickname for another country.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Thanks. For various reasons I stay away from the streams, even though I realise many people are fine with them. I will have a go at finding the match on iPlayer tomorrow though. :thumbsup:

Don't be put off if you tune in tomorrow half hour before KO expecting a normal 'show'. For Nigeria v Egypt it just went live about 10 mins before KO, if that even!

In other news. Nigeria currently 2-0 up against Guinea-Bissau with just a couple of minutes left. So Nigeria through, topping the group with 9pts :clap2:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Gabon just equalised against Burkina Faso in the 91th minute despite being a man down for about 25 minutes. My guess is extra time will be batshit crazy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here