Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] ****Official 2022 AFCON thread****

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This most excellent festival of football gets under way at 4pm this afternoon, with the hosts Cameroon v Burkina Faso. The visitors may be somewhat depleted after an independent (ie Cameroonian) testing facility decreed that nine BF covid tests are positive.

In light of this decree from the organisers, that ANY available 11 players means the game must go ahead, could make things interesting;

Not directly related to Biss, but definately about AFCON (if there's an AFCIN threaf where this should go, I apologise - couldn't fnd it). Just spotted this - good for AFCON I say! - the PL nd EFL should have done likewise instead of fannying around with their frequently biased fannying around on a case by case basis.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/africa/59924747

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Given the utterly mental state of African football (dodgy pitches, shocking refereeing, corruption and the imminent threat of civil war / terrorist attacks) I wouldn’t recommend that anyone get involved in betting on this, excepted minimal stakes for a bit of fun / interest.

I’m on Yves Bissouma’s Mail E/W at 16/1

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This most excellent festival of football gets under way at 4pm this afternoon, with the hosts Cameroon v Burkina Faso. The visitors may be somewhat depleted after an independent (ie Cameroonian) testing facility decreed that nine BF covid tests are positive.
In light of this decree from the organisers, that ANY available 11 players means the game must go ahead, could make things interesting;

Quote Originally Posted by GT49er View Post
Not directly related to Biss, but definately about AFCON (if there's an AFCIN threaf where this should go, I apologise - couldn't fnd it). Just spotted this - good for AFCON I say! - the PL nd EFL should have done likewise instead of fannying around with their frequently biased fannying around on a case by case basis.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/africa/59924747

That's what comes of putting 'afcon' in the NSC search engine and trustung it to produce a more appropriate search result!

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Watched a few of these over the years

There seems to be a very cautious approach to these games,often ending 1-0

Algeria for me

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That's what comes of putting 'afcon' in the NSC search engine and trustung it to produce a more appropriate search result!

Not at all. I started this AFTER seeing your post on the Bissouma thread, and it prompted me to get this set up.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I've stopped being hyped for great AFCON football as it often turns out anticlimactic with dull, defensive football. It is generally the most low-scoring regional NT competition and that usually is a good representation of what is going on on the pitch. Anyway, some interesting teams and players around and will watch quite a few games.

Hopefully will be better this time around.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
40 seconds into game one. Great start.

[tweet]1480209740634468358[/tweet]

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Mendy tests positive on the Senegal NT and puts him out of BOTH the Brighton/Chelsea match but most of the Senegal matches in the AFCON also. Isn't that the biggest news for the Albion (BHA) in the AFCON? Correct?

https://theathletic.com/news/chelse...virus-hits-senegals-afcon-squad/EiyEUG85tEfi/

He's gone to the AFCON so he wouldn't be playing for Chelsea against us anyway, would he?

Also, are we going to be able to see any of this tournament on mainstream TV, or will it only be on the likes of Sky, BT and dodgy streams?

Albion my Albion

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
He's gone to the AFCON so he wouldn't be playing for Chelsea against us anyway, would he?

Yes, but he must sit instead of playing which I think when on the shelf a player must not train either and goalkeepers lose a lot of timing when the return. He could lose some points for Chelsea when he returns and BHA could leapfrog the The Blues in the tables.

heathgate

Apr 13, 2015
Watched a few of these over the years

There seems to be a very cautious approach to these games,often ending 1-0

Algeria for me
Senegal too strong .... easy winners in my view, unless Covid has a say of course.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, but he must sit instead of playing which I think when on the shelf a player must not train either and goalkeepers lose a lot of timing when the return. He could lose some points for Chelsea when he returns and BHA could leapfrog the The Blues in the tables.

Nothing to do with fitness or loss of timing. We play Chelsea on the same day that Senegal play their final group match - so even without Covid he wouldn't be playing against us anyway.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Also, are we going to be able to see any of this tournament on mainstream TV, or will it only be on the likes of Sky, BT and dodgy streams?

There are 10 matches on the BBC.

Albion my Albion

Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Nothing to do with fitness or loss of timig. We play Chelsea on the same day that Senegal play their final group match - so even without Covid he wouldn't be playing against us anyway.

Not about playing them. It's about Mendy sitting instead of playing during his quarantine.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I'm enjoying the low-key commentator on the Senegal - Zimbabwe match.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
I'm enjoying the low-key commentator on the Senegal - Zimbabwe match.

The bit I watched at lunch...seemed to be Alan Partridge reads Wikipedia on teams and places from obscure parts of European leagues and QPR.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here