Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

off topic, ski resort advice

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
We went to Chamonix last March - not really to ski (!), but just fancied chilling out in a little log cabin after a VERY busy winter, work-wise. After two days we simply had to hire some stuff and get some lessons. It was great....I am an absolute beginner, and our younger daughter (19) had never been skiing before, but we had a really good time. It's about 90 mins drive from Geneva, and the number of options for skiing are huge. We also went "snow-shoeing", which is great fun.

scooter1

How soon is now?
I was in Les Gets last week and the snow was good considering its so early in the season, however they are suffering from the same as us, and that's a mild winter with quite a bit if rain( or at least prior to last weekend) but it's a good resort. We were about an hour away in a village called Thollon which we always use as our base

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I have been to all of these with my kids and can recommend.
Les gets, Avoriaz, Morzine, Villard du Lans & St Gervais in France. Igles (not to be confused with Ischgles) and Mayerhoffen in Austria. Kranska Gora in Slovenia. All should fit your criteria.

If you are looking at getting flights and hiring a car, skibed.co.uk is good for ski hire, apartment and lift passes all in one.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I was told in conversation last night Bulgaria is great value, especially for beginners and families. Anyone tried it for a bit of skiing?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
"Les gets" is nice and close to the lifts, and inexpensive. 90 minute transfer. friendly resorts and the beginners slope/ski school is pretty much right on the Les gets high street

Oh and there's a bar right next to the ski school ;)

I'd certainly also give Les Gets a vote. Loved it there and hope to go back one day. I'd spent the week before we went looking at webcam video and thinking how great it looked only to find that the webcam was screwed to our balcony when we got there!

The overall dilemma is that if you want the lifts on your doorstep, you generally get purpose built and France. If you don't want purpose built, you generally have to be lucky to get accommodation that doesn't involve a walk or bus.

Others I'd consider with kids: I took mine to Val Thorens - kids school was excellent.
Meribel
Serre Chevalier
Valloire
La Plagne

My friend love La Rosiere, but I've not been there myself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here