Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

off topic, ski resort advice

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I would recommend Morzine, I have been twice and had a fantastic time on both occasions. Some nice easy slopes and plenty of places to explore.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Les Saisses.....80 minutes from Geneva airport..Not high resort but mid Feb is peak snow time...Hotel Le Calgary..Ski in out...Brill Ski School...Lots of easy/ intermediate skiing. However half term prices rocket...

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Les Gets definitely ticks all the boxes apart from altitude. However, I just had a look at the snow report (the unofficial one, not the tourist board one) and they're having great conditions there and the entire PDS area right now, so it'll probably still be decent by half term.

Les Gets also has my favourite mountain restaurant of everywhere I've been.

Mid Feb ...Snow everywhere.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Another shout for Les Gets here , been a couple of times really nice place. If your looking for accommodation try http://www.chaletsdirect.com Go to the solution room and put in what you want and the chalets will get back to you.

Would consider Finland as well, really good for beginners , not as packed as the main European slopes and guarenteed snow. I went to Yllas and stayed in a log cabin.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Åre in Sweden is great. But it is pricey. I was quoted £1600 for flights, hotel (very nice) and skip pass for this March (by a company in Brighton). The flights were well timed (midday) but not direct, so I'm off to France again. I liked the recommendation for Slovakia - looks great! All the best.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Les Gets is the place to go, great for young children and the village is nice as well.

Great conditions at the moment! I have had great skiing into late March in Les Gets but If it's lacking a bit of snow you can head up the road to Avoriaz which is at 1800 and snow sure until late April.

Les Gets has a lage ski area in it's own right but you can also access the wide Portes du Soliel if you want further challenges.

Been to Les Gets with a mixed family group for the last 4 years (normally twice a season) and we have had a great time every visit.

http://www.lesgetsinfo.com/

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Les Gets is a great choice but it's a bit low. If you fly into Chambery that opens up the Upper T's. La Plagne is good, ticks all those boxes. La Rosier (mentioned) and also Tignes which I think was mentioned too. Or somewhere like Les Menuires up in the 3 valleys.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Any of the three valleys resorts in France tend to tick the boxes, travelling time aside.

I'm surprised you didn't like Les Arces though - any particular reason?

Oh and Andorra offers some great beginner skiing although the resort names have escaped me.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Les Gets is a great choice but it's a bit low. If you fly into Chambery that opens up the Upper T's. La Plagne is good, ticks all those boxes. La Rosier (mentioned) and also Tignes which I think was mentioned too. Or somewhere like Les Menuires up in the 3 valleys.

I'm in Les Menuires at the moment - its an excellent resort

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
why not just stay in milton keynes and visit the slopes there every day.

No flights. No transfers. Reasonably friendly poeple, well'ish!

Bansko Seagull

Bansko Seagull
May 6, 2009
Worthing, West Sussex
St Gervais near Chamonix is a beautiful village and the ski pass gives access to a wide ski area from St Nicholas to Megeve. But if you are prepared to wait until Easter, which is early this year, then I totally recommend Bansko in Bulgaria. Excellent family resort and prices are well below France both up the mountain and in the village and there are lots of thermal pools and spas to relax in.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I would highly recommend Obertauren in Austria, took my 4 year old last year for 4 days and it was fantastic. Less than an hour from Salzburg. Plenty of English speaking ski schools, snow won't be a problem and it has 4 or 5 different lifts in town so you shouldn't be too far from at least one of them. It's not a quaint town say like Megeve, but it's not a concrete jungle either. The clientele is predominantly German, which in my experience means the hotels and service are pretty good. It's not the most demanding of ski areas but when you're taking kids that's not a problem.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Not been myself but Port de soleil i.e. morzine, avoriaz, le gets meets all your criteria. I'd avoid Chamonix, short transfer but a bit of a pain getting to the slopes from town.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here