Off Topic. Friend not paying a debt back, any advice?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Without sounding blase, I can afford to take the hit but It sticks in my craw somewhat. I basically want him to realise the legal consequences of what he's doing. Do you know if he fails to appear at small claims court can he be arrested?

Your friend needs help. Why not offer him this, instead of wanting your money back.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
This happened to me once with a so called " mate " long story so I wont bore you all with my tale of woe, suffice to say he still owes me £2K from 1990 and he
stole his best friends from his childhood, extremely valuable and rare paintings worth thousands, stole from his own son Kellie too.
I will name him so if anyone on here know where the **** lives please let me know eh ?
His name is/was Andy Powell I say is/was as I did hear a story that he had moved to Brighton obviously years ago, but had died after becoming a tramp under Brighton Pier,
Who knows if that was true or not ?
He would be in his late 60s now, the thieving *******.
As I said name, Andy Powell lived in Crowborough, Rusthall near Tunbridge Wells, then, so I'm led to believe Brighton.
Short stocky and bald.
Ya never know someone may know him or heard of him.
He took advantage of the situation I was in at the time having split with my fiancee and was in a terrible state, young and on the verge of a breakdown.
******* !!!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Send the boys round?
Or go on judge rinder whatever

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He's not Mother Theresa.

True, but the OP suggested the money wasn't an issue. My point is why not try and help him first? If he was a good enough friend to lend 2k he's a good enough friend to offer help to.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
True, but the OP suggested the money wasn't an issue. My point is why not try and help him first? If he was a good enough friend to lend 2k he's a good enough friend to offer help to.

His "friend" is a thief who sounds beyond all help. Whether the OP could afford it or not is a total irrelevance - this bloke has completely rinsed him, amongst many, many others.

For what its worth, I just think he needs his head kicking in.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Thank you for advice, I don't want to tell my family about it so it's good to hear others advice and stories.

So this selling the debt to an agency, that's a real thing? seems too easy? I would def spend £500 or so to recoup 2k and pay to see the little maggot squirm with them after him.

I dont know the legit way, but once when i was owed the last £25k of a £100k contract, i was advised that if i wanted it done, the route would be 'they' would take on the debt, find him, and say 'You dont owe him, you know owe us, and it's £30/£35k, and need to pay us within the week..' As an incentive, family pets would go missing, soon followed by vehicles..

I was warned 'think about it carefully, as ideally you dont really want to on EITHER side of this lot' and actually the act of me getting in front of him, effectively throwing my hands up and saying, 'Sorry, it's going out of my hands, and into debt collectors' was enough of a threat to get me my money.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A friend of mine has occasionally been let down in business deals. If the situation becomes intractable, he threatens to sell on the debt. Whether he is actually in a position to sell the debt on to, for example 'the Russian Mafia' is a moot point. But he always gets his money. Just a thought.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
His "friend" is a thief who sounds beyond all help. Whether the OP could afford it or not is a total irrelevance - this bloke has completely rinsed him, amongst many, many others.

For what its worth, I just think he needs his head kicking in.

Even the Mother Theresa idea was better than that.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Your friend needs help. Why not offer him this, instead of wanting your money back.

I kind of see what you're getting at, but I did try and help him, and in more ways than lending him money. With the greatest of respect, you sound rather naive/sheltered.This is a bloke that has a string of police cautiond for threatening and harrasing women he has met on Tinder that won't sleep with him, banned from pubs for stalking female staff, borrowed and not repaid money from dozens of "friends", including a woman that had recently lost her mother and he "borrowed" from the inheritance, conning young bands into parting with money on the promise of music videos, not paying his rent formonths on end and forcing landlords into the eviction process while wrecking their properties, changing all the bills in a flat to the other tenants or landlords name and then not paying any of them but instead telling the tenant it's "all in" and pocketing all the money, running up tabs in pubs that he cannot repay, when he does get paid from his con jobs he spends the money on himself and partying. I can tell you are trying to throw an alternative view on the situation, and I can appreciate that but many have tried to help and been badly burned in the process.

Thank you all for the comments, it's made me laugh and informed me and made me feel a bit better about the situation. No, I probably will never see the money again and yes, a lesson learned. I will be selling on the debt and letting the guy know, see if that kicks him into action.

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Thanks. And you're quite right.

I have no doubt someone on here will know him, a lot of people do by the look of it. I will reveal his name once I've resolved the issue as a warning to others to steer clear of him.

We are going to defame him anyway once we have settled on a course of action. With social media I would imagine it's pretty easy to let the community know what a scumbag he is with a few chosen words on FB.

Good to hear on the other thread that you got your money back.

I'd be interested to know at least a first name of this con man, but perhaps you've decided against naming him in the end.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Good to hear on the other thread that you got your money back.

I'd be interested to know at least a first name of this con man, but perhaps you've decided against naming him in the end.
Thank you. Well, one of his scams to look out for is a Gumtree advert making out he is a well established music video production company and once I. A while they take young, upcoming bands or those with low budgets and use their expertise to make videos for them for a low fee of. A couple of grand. He takes an advance of 50%, maybe even films some of them but he's got no skills and no intention of ever editing it and providing you with a finished video. He takes the advance and buggers off.
That's not how he got my money but it's one of a number of scams he runs.

I may reveal a name when the dust settles. It's been a mad time of it. Simply, I got my money back because I know more about him than he would like revealed and I got him to sign a document for the money.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If anyone suspects they know him, PM me I'll confirm if it's the same bloke or not. He's a nasty piece of work and I'll be happy to steer you away from him.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I've skimmed through this thread and get the drift. This guy sounds a professional con-artist and oh so familiar to individuals I can relate to in the past, including one family member. These People are always 'form horses' when it comes to stunts like this. They rarely change. They carry on their behaviour, leaving behind a trail of financial carnage for others to deal with.

This guy wasn't a financial advisor to Portsmouth FC at anytime in the past by chance?

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I've skimmed through this thread and get the drift. This guy sounds a professional con-artist and oh so familiar to individuals I can relate to in the past, including one family member. People like this are always 'form horses' when it comes to stunts like this. They rarely change. They carry on their behaviour, leaving behind a trail of financial carnage for others to deal with.

This guy wasn't a financial advisor to Portsmouth FC at anytime in the past by chance?

Ha! Not to my knowledge. Yep, this is the third time he's had to move on from one group to another part of town because he's been rumbled. He'll never change because he genuinely believes he's the victim.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
Without sounding blase, I can afford to take the hit but It sticks in my craw somewhat. I basically want him to realise the legal consequences of what he's doing. Do you know if he fails to appear at small claims court can he be arrested?

No, they'll simply find judgement in your favour. Odds are that, if he does turn up, you win the case but they'll ask him to repay at some ridiculous rate, like £1 per week or you'll have to send in the bailiffs, which will cost you even more, and they'll probably not achieve anything.

I had a similar problem with my car being vandalised but culprits caught by police! Found in my favour but got awarded a ridiculously low amount payable at £5 per week!

Only legal route is to take out a county court order c. £80 and hope that shakes the money out of him. If it doesn't work I'd write it off... (or send Luigi and the boys round-joke!).

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
No, they'll simply find judgement in your favour. Odds are that, if he does turn up, you win the case but they'll ask him to repay at some ridiculous rate, like £1 per week or you'll have to send in the bailiffs, which will cost you even more, and they'll probably not achieve anything.

I had a similar problem with my car being vandalised but culprits caught by police! Found in my favour but got awarded a ridiculously low amount payable at £5 per week!

Only legal route is to take out a county court order c. £80 and hope that shakes the money out of him. If it doesn't work I'd write it off... (or send Luigi and the boys round-joke!).

Luckily I had some very good advice, combined with a lot of information that could seriously damage him and I followed the advice to the letter . He paid the money back. Not without a campaign from him of intimidation, harassment, abuse and threats, all of which I ignored. But I got it back.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I think I know this bloke. In the mid 90s didn't he put up a Property for sale in Hove without telling the resident and it all got quite ugly, went to arbitration and he made a killing whilst the family were put out onto the street? Absolute low life and it took an age for the family to get a decent permanent abode with enough room for all the kids, a proper back garden to play in etc. That after a number of years in temporary accommodation. There's some evil *******s in this world and I don't condone violence but it's poetic justice sometimes and we all have our boiling points!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports