Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Off Topic. Friend not paying a debt back, any advice?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As I've got older, I've realised you're better off not trusting anyone. Your 'friend' needs a good shoeing, relieving of two and a half grands worth of his gear then delivered to the local constabulary.
There's enough shit in this world already without being taken for a mug by a mate
I

f it looks like none of us will ever see our money again, other methods will be employed to show him actions have consequences.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Without sounding blase, I can afford to take the hit but It sticks in my craw somewhat. I basically want him to realise the legal consequences of what he's doing. Do you know if he fails to appear at small claims court can he be arrested?

No. If you turn up in court and present a valid case and he doesn't show, then the court finds in your favour, and a County Court judgement is registered against him. Then comes the fun of getting him to pay up.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Without sounding blase, I can afford to take the hit but It sticks in my craw somewhat. I basically want him to realise the legal consequences of what he's doing. Do you know if he fails to appear at small claims court can he be arrested?
No, but your claim will still be heard by the judge. He doesn't have to be present.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
No. If you turn up in court and present a valid case and he doesn't show, then the court finds in your favour, and a County Court judgement is registered against him. Then comes the fun of getting him to pay up.
Depending on how you're feeling, you could sell your debt to a debt collection agency. You'd get some money back at least, while he'd have to deal with merciless bailiffs.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Depending on how you're feeling, you could sell your debt to a debt collection agency. You'd get some money back at least, while he'd have to deal with merciless bailiffs.

Ah. I hadn't thought of that. How does that work please?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Desperate people can be very ingenious with the deception, They are con artists and some of the lengths they will go to are extraordinary it almost a talent inits self. I often wonder how much better off these people would be if they channeled their "talents" in other directions just how successful they would become and then more content. Ah but then there would be no risk.... or cunning, well thought out lure & plan.... or the actual adrenaline buzz they get from the fear of detection or getting away with everything..... Some people are just also self destructive and live for the collapse and feeling of self worthlessness...

Some of them do realise their potential. Just take a look at who runs the banks.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
He's being evicted tomorrow for owing his landlord 7k in back rent and refusing to move out. He sub let a room in the flat, didn't tell the landlord, pocketed the rent from the girl who rented the room. He changed all the bills into her name and told her the rent was "all in", he pocketed the lot. When she moved out she was unaware council tax were chasing her as he was just throwing all the summons' away that were arriving for her.Believe me, there is a string of people lining up to stick the boot in to this guy.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I've had a chap looking into him for a fortnight. He also has a stack of credit/debit cards for accounts with no money in them that he puts behind the bar in pubs, drinks all night then sneaks out "forgetting" to pay and take his card.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I've had a chap looking into him for a fortnight. He also has a stack of credit/debit cards for accounts with no money in them that he puts behind the bar in pubs, drinks all night then sneaks out "forgetting" to pay and take his card.

That Ol chesnut, always amazes me why Pubs etc do not actually put the first drink through to just check....

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
Many years ago I had much the same situation.

The "friend" lied through his teeth to everyone, and I ended up about £3500 out of pocket.

In some ways, I think he genuinely believed that he was entitled in some way, to perpetrate all the frauds, lies and thefts, because "society" was a) unfair to him, and b) structured in such a way that he had little fear of any comeback.

At the end of the day, I chalked it up to experience and walked away.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
No need to feel stupid at all, never ever think that....

You were reeled in, with deception and lies, and puppy dog eyes.
Better to believe in people (unless it's really obvious of course) as they present themselves. You will be right 99% of the time. You may be let down very occasionally (you hit the let-down jackpot in this case) but overall will have a much happier and fulfilled life than if you spend your every waking moment in a state of permanent distrust and suspicion.

Selling the debt to a collection agency gets my vote btw. Excellent solution and good use of NSC crowd sourcing

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
other methods will be employed to show him actions have consequences.

Starting to sound like a bit of a gangster yourself there :lolol:

Sounds like this bloke has it coming to him, no doubt he will have messed with the wrong person along the line and they won't be so 'legal' in their retribution.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here