Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Of all the excuses for their abject HUMILIATION...

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
One of the comments on the Ulloa thread there was

When in the game did it happen?

It looked like an elbow or a wrestling style forearm smash but whatever it was it was an after the ball challenge that was a deff pen and card??

Christ, he doesn't even know which penalty area it was in. :facepalm:

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
............This is EXACTLY how it went. We hardly played them for 20 plus years, many of which were spent with two or even three divisions between the sides. Obviously things cooled in that period........

When I first started watching (1965) our big rivals were Luton. Annoyingly they always seemed to beat us (bloody Bruce Rioch!) although we had a 1-1 at their place in the early seventies - accompanied by a lot of violence before, during and after. It was about the same time that they were promoted that Palace were relegated to Div 3, and I think we played them at home in the first game the next season. The atmosphere and tension at that game was much greater than for any Luton match and it was obvious there was something more than just another London rivalry. From that point we seemed to be joined together for the next 10 years or so - being promoted together twice.

That win was vital for our younger supporters as we hadn't beaten them at our place for such a long time - and we all know how quickly the kids find something else to do if they have bad memories of previous events. Parents can drag them along once or twice but after a while heels get dug in. Kids attending on Sunday will have good memories of a terrific atmosphere, a great result and most importantly happy mums and dads. They'll want to do it again.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Its simple we hate Crawley as well because its Palace's caravan park in the country.

There will be a rivalry for many a year to come so a waste of words really.

I agree that the rivalry will continue for some time to come but it is not as strong as a real derby played season after season.eg Liverpool/Everton and Arsenal/Tottenham. In the past there have been long gaps where we haven't played each other and who's to say that won't happen again.
Some Brighton fans don't seem happy without a rivalry. They know no different. They've grown up with it. Us ' older ' ones, who grew up without a rivalry and remember us playing Palace as just another game, are much more comfortable with the idea of neutrality.
IMHO its hyped up far too much by people who want to keep fanning the flames. After all, if it hadn't been for Venables and Mullery there would be no rivalry.Without them, we would be going our own sweet way, happy with our neutrality.
This rivalry was started by two managers at the time. Two transient individuals, starting out, ambitious and trying to make a name for themselves. They didn't get on and used Palace and Brighton as vehicles for their own purpose. The young fans from both clubs jumped on the bandwagon and the rest is history.
Thats the point I keep trying to make. Its all been built on the flimsiest of foundations. Not on history or geography but because of two individuals who only passed briefly through the history of our two clubs but provided the catalyst for this rivalry.
You've only got to see what happened with us and Southampton. Locked together, in an upward direction. Two outspoken managers who didn't get on and enjoyed the media exposure. Fans getting carried away and a ' mini rivalry ' developing. It doesn't take much.
The Saints thing has virtually fizzled out now but it shows that these rivalries can suddenly spring up out of nothing. The Palace thing would have fizzled out if we hadn't matched each other division for division, Mullery v Venables for 3-4 seasons.
A flimsy foundation that has somehow survived.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The conditions were horrendous. They had one player on the wing who's legs kept flailing either side of the ball before he'd eventually fall over.

Last edited:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Conditions not suited to quality wing play?... Yeah, coz Kazenga was shocking wasn't he?... :lol:

And that Buckley. Hopeless, just hopeless with that run and pin-point cross for the first and then winning the foul for the free-kick with another lucky run that just somehow saw the ball luckily stay near him on a surface that resembled the Somme.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
The divide amongst Palace fans is quite interesting. Between them, there is clearly hatred for Brighton, Millwall and Charlton. It is all a bit mixed up, with different generations and even members of the same families hating different opposition for different reasons.
Some older Palace fans feel that the traditional rivalry with Millwall going back to the year dot was usurped by spotty youths in the 70's looking for something a bit more glamorous ( and safer! ) than Peckham, New Cross and Bermondsey. They feel the Brighton rivalry is artificial. Millwall and Charlton are closer and are proper London rivals. Some Palace fans are still so resentful of the ground sharing years with Charlton that their hatred for them is overpowering.
Brighton is over 40 miles away and there is even another league club between the two. This must be unique in rivalries. Ipswich and Norwich are 40 ish miles apart but there is no-one in between. So, now the situation gets even more complicated with Crawley. For years, they have been in a benign state of neutrality, fighting for support between Brighton and London. Now they are establishing themselves as a decent league team, will they retain their neutrality?
There are neutral clubs dotted around the country. Carlisle ( for obvious reasons ! ) Bournemouth ( although, they hate Soton...who don't take a blind bit of notice and turn their eyes 18 miles east ) Colchester ( Ipswich are too busy with the Suffolk / Norfolk thing ) Yeovil, Shrewsbury, Wycombe etc
The Palace scenario reminds me of the Reading, Swindon, Oxford situation. You talk to followers of those clubs and you end up with a headache trying to work out the real rivalries. Some Swindon fans even hate Bristol City!
So in essence our rivalry with Palace is diluted. There are too many Palace fans with hatred for Millwall and Charlton. They can't make their minds up who to hate the most.
I've always felt our rivalry was on pretty flimsy ground. Brighton are a neutral club and should be comfortable with that. The fans didn't need to go looking for something that didn't exist but they did and now we are stuck with it. It doesn't seem to make sense perpetuating a rivalry, when there is even another league club inbetween.
I'm sure a lot of Palace fans want to distance themselves from Brighton but have mates who are so passionate and vitriolic about Brighton that they feel duty bound to keep the rivalry going.
On Sunday, I didn't feel any greater sense of satisfaction beating Palace than I did when we beat Southampton last season. Both results set the record straight and evened out bragging rights. We all get wrapped up in the hype of a Palace v Brighton game but eventually we all have to be true to ourselves and be honest if we don't get it.
A lot of fans can't see beyond Brighton/Palace. They were brought up with it and know no different. It adds a bit of spice. But it isn't natural and is now complicated by Crawley. After years as the only Sussex league club, we now have two. Surely now, over the coming years, this is the rivalry that is going to grow and Palace will gradually diminish. What happens if Palace move out of Selhurst and end up even closer to Millwall and Charlton?
We don't have the split that Palace have. As far as our fans are concerned it is only Palace at the moment. It is the splits within Palace that will eventually lead to the dilution and dissipation of the Brighton rivalry, particularly if we go longer periods not playing each other.

Wrong, i cant ever see the rivaly between Brighton and Palace being Consigned to the history books!
On sunday i gave my two boys a brief (and rather picture book explanation) as to why this game was so important, why they should always see Palace as the Pantomime Villains, and want to beat them every time we play them! when i was asked why i just said because thats the way it is, just like my dad said to me!
You cant have 40 year old 'tradition' of a rivaly just Disappear, and it wont. So i hope they get there new stadium/selhurst Redevelopment and that we can both stay on a level playing field, because playing Palace is special.

And as for Crawley.....:wrong:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I was hoping there might be a 'FFS Murray' moment or phrase from this match, bit in truth we're spoilt for choice. There are loads.

Maybe my favourites are The St Patricks Day Massacre, Glad Ulloa, and this pitch and conditions stuff which is hilarious.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The worst, long post I have ever read on here, your analysis is shot to pieces. I presume you have others around you at work & home to oversee and guide you in any decision you have to make in your day to day life?

Thank you for your kind words, which I will treasure forever.
To answer your question, not suprisingly, I do have people around me to oversee and guide me. I am just your average idiot, with nothing better to do than post ridiculous, lengthy and totally irrelevant stuff on NSC.
I let my staff ( and don't laugh, I do run a sizeable company ) do all the work and make me tea, whilst I fool them that I am crouched over my computer, creating genius business ideas, whilst all the time writing drivel on here.
" More tea Miss Clint, this is thirsty work "

Beaker66

Feb 26, 2011
Bexhill
The divide amongst Palace fans is quite interesting. Between them, there is clearly hatred for Brighton, Millwall and Charlton. It is all a bit mixed up, with different generations and even members of the same families hating different opposition for different reasons.
Some older Palace fans feel that the traditional rivalry with Millwall going back to the year dot was usurped by spotty youths in the 70's looking for something a bit more glamorous ( and safer! ) than Peckham, New Cross and Bermondsey. They feel the Brighton rivalry is artificial. Millwall and Charlton are closer and are proper London rivals. Some Palace fans are still so resentful of the ground sharing years with Charlton that their hatred for them is overpowering.
Brighton is over 40 miles away and there is even another league club between the two. This must be unique in rivalries. Ipswich and Norwich are 40 ish miles apart but there is no-one in between. So, now the situation gets even more complicated with Crawley. For years, they have been in a benign state of neutrality, fighting for support between Brighton and London. Now they are establishing themselves as a decent league team, will they retain their neutrality?
There are neutral clubs dotted around the country. Carlisle ( for obvious reasons ! ) Bournemouth ( although, they hate Soton...who don't take a blind bit of notice and turn their eyes 18 miles east ) Colchester ( Ipswich are too busy with the Suffolk / Norfolk thing ) Yeovil, Shrewsbury, Wycombe etc
The Palace scenario reminds me of the Reading, Swindon, Oxford situation. You talk to followers of those clubs and you end up with a headache trying to work out the real rivalries. Some Swindon fans even hate Bristol City!
So in essence our rivalry with Palace is diluted. There are too many Palace fans with hatred for Millwall and Charlton. They can't make their minds up who to hate the most.
I've always felt our rivalry was on pretty flimsy ground. Brighton are a neutral club and should be comfortable with that. The fans didn't need to go looking for something that didn't exist but they did and now we are stuck with it. It doesn't seem to make sense perpetuating a rivalry, when there is even another league club inbetween.
I'm sure a lot of Palace fans want to distance themselves from Brighton but have mates who are so passionate and vitriolic about Brighton that they feel duty bound to keep the rivalry going.
On Sunday, I didn't feel any greater sense of satisfaction beating Palace than I did when we beat Southampton last season. Both results set the record straight and evened out bragging rights. We all get wrapped up in the hype of a Palace v Brighton game but eventually we all have to be true to ourselves and be honest if we don't get it.
A lot of fans can't see beyond Brighton/Palace. They were brought up with it and know no different. It adds a bit of spice. But it isn't natural and is now complicated by Crawley. After years as the only Sussex league club, we now have two. Surely now, over the coming years, this is the rivalry that is going to grow and Palace will gradually diminish. What happens if Palace move out of Selhurst and end up even closer to Millwall and Charlton?
We don't have the split that Palace have. As far as our fans are concerned it is only Palace at the moment. It is the splits within Palace that will eventually lead to the dilution and dissipation of the Brighton rivalry, particularly if we go longer periods not playing each other.

I had the misfortune of sitting with the home support when they stuffed us at the Swamp. Judging by their reaction at the end of that game Brighton, to them, are not just another team in the division.

On the train home I got talking to a load of Palace supporters, nearly all of whom were actually quite intelligent. When I asked them whether Millwall were their main rivals they were emphatic when they told me that we are still the enemy, pointing out that they get a full house every time we come to town.

So to all those Palace supporters trying to make out that we don't matter, guys you're talking total b*****ks, you lost to Brighton and you are gutted.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Crawley are a complete irrelevance for both clubs I'm afraid. Why should either club take any notice about anything to do with them? They'll almost certainly be back down in the bottom league in a year or two and then back to the conference.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I agree that the rivalry will continue for some time to come but it is not as strong as a real derby played season after season.eg Liverpool/Everton and Arsenal/Tottenham. In the past there have been long gaps where we haven't played each other and who's to say that won't happen again.
Some Brighton fans don't seem happy without a rivalry. They know no different. They've grown up with it. Us ' older ' ones, who grew up without a rivalry and remember us playing Palace as just another game, are much more comfortable with the idea of neutrality.
IMHO its hyped up far too much by people who want to keep fanning the flames. After all, if it hadn't been for Venables and Mullery there would be no rivalry.Without them, we would be going our own sweet way, happy with our neutrality.
This rivalry was started by two managers at the time. Two transient individuals, starting out, ambitious and trying to make a name for themselves. They didn't get on and used Palace and Brighton as vehicles for their own purpose. The young fans from both clubs jumped on the bandwagon and the rest is history.
Thats the point I keep trying to make. Its all been built on the flimsiest of foundations. Not on history or geography but because of two individuals who only passed briefly through the history of our two clubs but provided the catalyst for this rivalry.
You've only got to see what happened with us and Southampton. Locked together, in an upward direction. Two outspoken managers who didn't get on and enjoyed the media exposure. Fans getting carried away and a ' mini rivalry ' developing. It doesn't take much.
The Saints thing has virtually fizzled out now but it shows that these rivalries can suddenly spring up out of nothing. The Palace thing would have fizzled out if we hadn't matched each other division for division, Mullery v Venables for 3-4 seasons.

Having experienced the Mullery/Venable era myself I agree it was their actions that lit the fire but also it has to noted that the two fan bases are derived from the same area in the north of the county.

Many thousands of Brighton fans live in the Haywards Heath, Horsham and Crawley areas (I know I've spent most of my life in these areas) and Palace fans live amongst them especially Crawley. This is more so than any other club within our area and therefore the rivalry exists always. There has been a drift of "South Londoners" down to this area for years and in particular around the time this rivalry started.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
"they also had the benefit of playing the match on their cow field where they know every divert and dint."
:laugh: :lolol: Brilliant.

Where's our Seaside Glenn_Murray gone?
I'd be surprised if we scored less than three because of the way we're playing at the moment. We're creating chances (and good ones) for 90 minutes and with an on-form Kevin Phillips and Murray combination we're putting goals past everyone.
Surprise!

Every game we seem to miss a few ridiculously easy chances so if we're even slightly less wasteful than usual then we'll be in good shape for a riot. We've already put 4 past Hull last week. Murray should be very motivated to add to his 30 goals already this season, Super Kevin Phillips loves scoring against Brighton, and Zaha will want to impress in his last derby game for Palace :bowdown:
Well it was a riot.

Regardless, we're almost certain to score so if you want to win the game you'll need to put two past us at the very least.
Thanks for the advice :D

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
....post 444 on here takes the biscuit.

Holloway doesn't care about the rivalry - Page 23 - CPFC BBS

Neither here nor on the Back From The Game thread has anyone commented about the appalling weather conditions and how that affected the players and game as a whole, although there are plenty moaning about getting soaking wet themselves.

We generally play a fast passing game that just doesn't bode well with yesterday’s heavy conditions or lend itself to skillful wing play. It appears to me that had this been played on a bright, sunny, dry day on a pitch that was well groomed and wasn't waterlogged; the result would have been totally different.

From what I've read, and there's a lot of it to read, the main difference was that they were better equipped to adapt to and tolerate the bad conditions and they also had the benefit of playing the match on their cow field where they know every divert and dint.

My opinion is, I don't think that anyone is to blame (Manager or Players). It's just that we didn't adapt to the conditions as well as they did on the day and the conditions took us out of our comfort zone.

Where to start :lolol:
He had me at "divert and dint"

Take a bow "FansAbroadLLC". What a complete and utter WEAPON.

Glorious.

Having read that again, he wasn't even at the game, was he?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This is the incident they are complaining about - did Leo lead with the elbow? Looks a possible combination of elbow and head. Good job he didn't get sent off! (btw, doesn't our stadium look fantastic in that vid?!)
His elbow hits Murray's arm, it's the heads that clash. Ulloa is going for the ball, but Murray got the ball, so I think a yellow for Ulloa would have been fair enough.

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
One of the comments on the Ulloa thread there was

When in the game did it happen?

It looked like an elbow or a wrestling style forearm smash but whatever it was it was an after the ball challenge that was a deff pen and card??

Christ, he doesn't even know which penalty area it was in. :facepalm:

My god. They've got so used to being awarded ridiculous penalties this season they're even expecting them when the foul occurs in their own box.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The whole thing has reached ridiculous levels of stupdity now, on both sides, although cpfc seems to be edging it now. The fact is no cpfc fan will ever say anything positive or indeed true about bhafc, the team, the stadium or the fans and vice versa
You're mistaken US. A few Palace fans here are decent posters, and have been gracious in defeat. Just as most of us agree that Brighton were poor at the Amex last year, and Palace deserved to win. You've read one post from a nutter and you can't see all those that accept the truth.

The Amex has won every award going including best new stadium in the WORLD but according to cpfc fans it is shit, the pitch is one of the best in the football league, state of the art but according to cpfc fans it is a cowfield. Nah life is too short to even waste a second of my time with this stupidity now.
No no no, life is too short to miss out on the fun to be had laughing at those that are so deluded. There's no fun to be had when a sensible Palace fan says 'nice stadium, and you out-played us' - it's so much more fun when they say we 'only won because it was on a cow field in the rain'.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

Who. Gives. A. Shit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here