Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Some programmes starting in the next few days or so in the States – some old favourites and some new series.

‘Helix’ is a new series starting on SyFy – yet another outbreak of a lethal disease. Looks OK from the trailers.

‘Game of Thrones – Season 4’ – no official start date yet but slated for some time in the Spring. Definitely one of my favourite HBO series.

‘Portlandia’ – another series of this quirky series from the Pacific North West. This one grew on me.

‘Americans’ – second series starts Feb 26

‘True Detectives’ – new drama series with Woody Harrelson so has to be worth a look

‘Walking Dead’ – Feb 9, second half of Season 4.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Saw the first episode of 'True Detective' last night and it looks like another winner for HBO. Woody Harrelson has come a long way since 'Cheers'.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Yeah there's an American's thread here, not particularly long though, it was a small club.

The old woman Moscow agent has now turned up on Greg Garcia's (My Name is Earl) latest comedy The Millar's currently on ComedyCentral.

She's also in Emmy-winning form in Justified season 3 I think.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I tried the Tomorrow People, being old enough to remember the BBC series it's based on (synchronise watches anyone?) and it was fun. Perfect tea time viewing.

It was ITV. And do you mean the 90s remake version, or the actual original 70s version? I saw the 90s version (with Todd from Neighbours!).

I've recorded the first two episodes of the us version, but not watched them yet.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Oliver Stone's UntoldHistory of the United States. The best history based program I've seen since The World at War. Stone has a political stance but the detail and use of TV footage and interviews are superb.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Just watched a 3 part mini series called Klondike which was quite good. Richard Madden of Game of Thrones fame plays the lead role.

Also if you're looking for a couple of light weight comedies then The Crazy ones and Sean Saves The World are watchable.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Forgot about Helix. Anyone watch it? True Detective very good ... another is Intelligence which is so-so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here