Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Brooklyn 99 - have a look its a American action comedy television series that airs on Fox. Set in the (fictional) 99th Precinct of the New York City Police Department

Very funny show imho. It's on E4 over here.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Turn is excellent!! Will watch Fargo tonight but verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrra excited!

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
Arrested Development is my favourite comedy series ever. 3 cracking series and shame there weren't more.

Fear not, Netflix made a 4th season. Not as funny as season 1 and 2 but still better than the 3rd season. Funniest show to come out of the states.

Eastbound and down, also f***ing hilarious.

Series, californication and entourage.
If you like bling life and hot girls walking around with their boobies out, entourage is for you.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
New series of 24 starts tonight. Based in London so should be different. Supposed to be the final series

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Veep is back on Sky Atlantic.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
A couple I’ve seen recently

Penny Dreadful – Supernatural thriller set in Victorian London and Eva Green gets her kit off – highly recommended
The Last Ship – another load of ‘world wiped out by virus’ hokum. Pretty dire
The Leftovers – series about the people left behind after 2% of the world’s population disappears. Not really that impressed yet but one of the producers worked on “Lost” and it’s produced by HBO so will keep watching.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I streamed the first episode of Extant on Amazon Prime earlier this week. Halle Berry as a woman who spent time alone on a space ship, is revealed to have gotten pregnant, then we see she had a dalliance with what appears to have been a ghost of her dead ex-husband. Her new husband is trying to create humanoid robot children who are built to learn like children, thus have no control designs and their test son is a bit... off.

I'm not convinced by the first episode.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I streamed the first episode of Extant on Amazon Prime earlier this week. Halle Berry as a woman who spent time alone on a space ship, is revealed to have gotten pregnant, then we see she had a dalliance with what appears to have been a ghost of her dead ex-husband. Her new husband is trying to create humanoid robot children who are built to learn like children, thus have no control designs and their test son is a bit... off.

I'm not convinced by the first episode.

Quality synopsis though!! Does sound ropey - what has Ms Berry done since her Oscar win (apart from "nothing good")?

I'm sure it's been mentioned here, but True Detective is excellent. I thought all the way through, this feels like a novel. And the chap who wrote and created it was indeed a writer of books before turning his hand to screenwriting. It could easily have been a so-so Hollywood movie, but give an interesting story 8 hours and great acting throughout (even the one scene wonders were hefty and excellent), cinematography and direction of what felt like the highest calibre, and if it's the future, I'm in.

Last edited:

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
I am enjoying The Last Ship, it has been done before but it's watchable.
Extant is not good, going to give it one more, not hopeful though.
The Strain is very good, CDC outbreak type drama, mad but enjoying it.
Dominion is ok, angels, apocalypse, swords and Anthony Head.....could be worse.
Tyrant is good, son of brutal leader who has been Americanised returns as his father dies and his older brother takes over, can he Westernise the dinosaurs

Returns
So pleased Ray Donovan is back, first ep of 2nd series was very good, straight back into it
Falling Skies, surely the cast must be getting bored of running around and hiding behind the same overturned cars, I am bored for sure.
Longmire, Rizzoli and Isles, Suits, Covert Affairs and Major Crimes are all as good an ever, happy they are back.

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
A town near Charlotte, NC
The League is excellent (do not be put off by its NFL fantasy league subject matter) and another favourite comedy of mine is Louie (although I presume he's quite well known in the UK now and perhaps not 'obscure')

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've been watching Almost Human.

I can't make up my mind as to whether it's absolute dross or actually quite good.
The pretext is good, the story is thin.
The lead android is good, the lead actor is a stereotype.
The eye candy cop is very eye candy.
The continuing story is quite well handled.

I think it might just be style over substance, good but in no way challenging.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Was a big fan of the show ''Jerry Bruckheimer's Chase'' (also called ''the chase'') Lasted only a series on TV before being pulled.

The show followed US Marshalls as they chased fugutives accross southern US states.

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
I've been watching Almost Human.

I can't make up my mind as to whether it's absolute dross or actually quite good.
The pretext is good, the story is thin.
The lead android is good, the lead actor is a stereotype.
The eye candy cop is very eye candy.
The continuing story is quite well handled.

I think it might just be style over substance, good but in no way challenging.
Pretty sure it's been cancelled by Fox, though I think that was more towards the production costs as opposed to it being poor.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Over the last couple of mon the I have been watching.....

Penny Dreadful - 8/10 Exactly what it says on the tin but good fun and some great acting.
Salem - 6/10 - up and down can live without it
Turn 9/10 - absolutely brilliant until the last few episodes where I think the cast knew it wasn't going to be renewed.
Dominion 6/10 - jury still out
Fargo - 9/10 - brilliant but began to wear thin at the end.
Suits 9/10 - as great as ever
Orphan Black - 10/10 -wow! Just wow!
Continuum/ Falling Skies - 6/10 - as above, both becoming dull
Extant - first episode meh
Helix - 7/10 improved as it went on
The Following - 8/10 season 2 better than the first
Defiance - 8/10 - only watched the first episode of season 2 but may be able to do what Firefly should have done.... ooooohhhh Firefly..... :(

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't want to ***spoiler alert*** this weeks Ray Donovan but can I just say:-

the scene with the sleazy producer and 'adult' actress is worth the entrance fee alone. :lolol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Haven't looked through all this thread but haven't seen a mention of Justified. It's pretty good, a Western mixed with a cop show. There's some excellent dialogue and beautifully realised characters. Not a high profile show, but a damn good one

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The final series of "Boardwalk Empire" starts in the States on September 7

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here