'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The Tape
Very enjoyable indie movie on Prime.
Songwriter who falls out of love with the industry becomes a cleaner in cornwall. City type feels drained by corporate life and returns to family home in the west. Nature starts to heal all.
Good original music too.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The new series of True Detective is very disappointing. Considering it's produced by HBO and stars Jodie Foster, Fiona Shaw and Christopher Eccleston it's just a mess. It doesn't seem to know if it wants to be a traditional detective series or a supernatural drama with ghosts and spirit guides. I've seen two episodes and it seems a bit of a rip off of the superior 'The Thing' also based in the Arctic and 'Stranger Things'. There are no characters you care about and the script looks like it was written by a teenager. I'll probably keep watching as the first series of True Detective was so good.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
The new series of True Detective is very disappointing. Considering it's produced by HBO and stars Jodie Foster, Fiona Shaw and Christopher Eccleston it's just a mess. It doesn't seem to know if it wants to be a traditional detective series or a supernatural drama with ghosts and spirit guides. I've seen two episodes and it seems a bit of a rip off of the superior 'The Thing' also based in the Arctic and 'Stranger Things'. There are no characters you care about and the script looks like it was written by a teenager. I'll probably keep watching as the first series of True Detective was so good.
Bugger.

As you say, S1 was brilliant. S2 was decent. S3 is on my 'must get round to watching it' list.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Monsieur Spade on AMC.

Twenty years after the events of the novel "The Maltese Falcon," Sam Spade has retired in the small town of Bozouls in southern France; it's 1963, the war has ended, and in a very short time, so, too, will Spade's tranquility.

Clive Owen as Sam Spade, S1 was pretty good.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/monsieur_spade
Watched the first two episodes. Not sure I'm buying it. I'm not loving Clive Owen as Sam Spade

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Yeah, hoping it'll come good, but right now they've thrown a lot of stuff at the viewers that don't seem relevant.

Plus I'm going to be annoyed if they go full supernatural

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
SkyShowtime Sweden has released the first trailer for Veronika, starring Alexandra Rapaport.

Set in a small town, police officer Veronika Gren (Rapaport), a mother of two, struggles with her complicated family life and a secret pill addiction.”

When strange things start to happen and a deceased boy appears before her, Veronika thinks she’s lost her mind. Reluctantly, Veronika is forced to accept that the boy may not be an illusion. Soon Veronika finds herself in a murder investigation that goes deeper than anyone in town would like to believe, when she learns about the murder of two teenage girls. She must uncover the truth and find the connection between the cases to prevent the killer from striking again. But will anyone believe her?

It also stars Tobias Santelmann and will start in March.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Good news, S2 of Wisting on the way.....

Really liked S1, good scandi-noir.
Norwegian series Wisting is returning to Viaplay in the Nordic regions in March.

The new season returns to Larvik on a seemingly idyllic summer evening at the Greenwood family. But the following morning, a hotel employee is found murdered, and a six-year-old British boy, Clifford Greenwood, has disappeared without a trace.

The family receives a ransom demand and cryptic messages from the kidnapper, and when family secrets are revealed, Wisting suspects that there may be a personal motive behind the disappearance. There is also enormous international pressure on Wisting and the team to solve the murder and find the boy before it is too late.

British actor Rupert Evans joins the cast for series four.

The series will premiere on Viaplay on 24th March. There is no news of a British transmission date yet.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
"From" is very good. On Sky SciFi.

It's about a family who get lost and end up at a strange town, where none of the resident's there can escape. The town is full of mysteries, back stories, and strange creatures that only emerge at night..... Starting Harold Perrineau as the lead character.

(It is very similar in style to Lost, 2 seasons in so far with a 3rd on the way in a few months).

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
Just watched the first 3 episodes of this, and it reminds me very my of Fortitude, that had 2 or 3 seasons on Sky a few years back - all set north of the arctic circle with some strange deaths and hints towards supernatural phenomenon. I'll stick with it but dont think its a patch on seasons 1 or 3 (2 was a bit iffy too)

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
"From" is very good. On Sky SciFi.

It's about a family who get lost and end up at a strange town, where none of the resident's there can escape. The town is full of mysteries, back stories, and strange creatures that only emerge at night..... Starting Harold Perrineau as the lead character.

(It is very similar in style to Lost, 2 seasons in so far with a 3rd on the way in a few months).
We put the first episode on not long ago just for something to watch and ended up getting through the entire lot over the weekend. Great show.

I've got a minor worry that they're writing themselves in knots a bit, so many mysteries have been hinted at no doubt some of them won't payoff.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
We put the first episode on not long ago just for something to watch and ended up getting through the entire lot over the weekend. Great show.

I've got a minor worry that they're writing themselves in knots a bit, so many mysteries have been hinted at no doubt some of them won't payoff.
It's one of those series which is annoyingly renewed one year at a time. I reckon if they just said "right you've got season 3 and 4 and that's it no mater what the ratings are" they'd make a solid effort at all the payoffs. Now they just have S3 so no doubt there will be a cliffhanger of sorts.

Really excited for S3 though as will be a new dynamic for sure based on the S2 ending!

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
I'm also gonna go with a weird series, on Channel 5 / Paramount called "La Brea" . That's why I think it's obscure. Because channel 5.

Earthquake causes a huge rift, people who fall through end up in the same place but back in time before colonisation etc. Then they are trying to work out how to get backhow to survive etc... It's better than I'm making it out haha. This coming series (3) will be the end

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
True Detective series 4 has balanced the odd good and interesting bit with some dreadful plot and dialogue and one of the leads being quite poor at acting. Along with a general feeling that all police featured bar the young bloke are useless at their jobs. A feature length ending where not a lot happens still manages to rush important bits.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I've started "Huset" on iPlayer, with Sofie Gråbøl. I wouldn't normally post about something I hadn't watched all the way through, but after a grimly tense and unsettling first episode I had to tell someone about it. 6 x 1hr episodes. It's gonna be good.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I've started "Huset" on iPlayer, with Sofie Gråbøl. I wouldn't normally post about something I hadn't watched all the way through, but after a grimly tense and unsettling first episode I had to tell someone about it. 6 x 1hr episodes. It's gonna be good.

It's very very good. Adapted from a book so there's a lovely coda; not your average drama. Gosh I've missed subtitles!

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Bugger.

As you say, S1 was brilliant. S2 was decent. S3 is on my 'must get round to watching it' list.
I really liked S3, I expect you will too. Introduced me to Scoot McNairy who in turn led led me to Narcos. He's brilliant in everything I've seen him in.

Also he's up there with 80s weather forecaster Flip Spiceland as having the Americanest name in telly.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

One crime I'm really looking forward to is Under The Bridge, the US crime drama based on a real case.

Oscar nominee Lily Gladstone stars in the eight-parter.

Under The Bridge is based on acclaimed author Rebecca Godfrey’s book about the 1997 true story of 14-year-old Reena Virk (Vritika Gupta) who went to join friends at a party and never returned home. The story is told through the eyes of Godfrey (Riley Keough) and a local police officer (Gladstone), and takes us into the hidden world of the young girls accused of the murder—revealing startling truths about the unlikely killer.

There’s no word when (and where) this series will appear in the UK, but for US viewers, Under The Bridge will premiere on 17th April.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here