Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
His show Castle was great.

I think it was interesting that his co-star on Castle, Stana Katic, also a Canadian, got married in 2015 at the age of 37 and then had her first child in 2022 at the age of 43.

1690868853299.png

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I know it will have been said by others, but for me The Bear has been the best thing I’ve watched in an age..cracking soundtrack as well.
I'm halfway through season 2 and it's fantastic, isn't it. There's really nothing like it. It reminds me a lot of peak British TV in the late 90s/2000s, what the likes of Jimmy McGovern ushered in, a story told so, so well, with anger and heart.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Can certainly agree loved The West Wing, and The Sopranos. The Americans also most excellent. Can't rate one above the other as totally different but equally as good.

Succession, I have no idea what the fuss is about, all I want to do is slap all the kids. In fact most of the cast/script and acting is so cringeworthy I gave up after 1 and half series and not sure why I kept going that long.
Succession still with it, but goodness knows why. Massively overrated IMO.

The Bear - really enjoying it.
Ozark - just excellent
Bosch - was good
Blacklist was okay, but is about 3 series too many - still watching though as last series.
The Rookie - gave up this year, just got silly

Cordwainer

Jul 30, 2023
I'm halfway through season 2 and it's fantastic, isn't it. There's really nothing like it. It reminds me a lot of peak British TV in the late 90s/2000s, what the likes of Jimmy McGovern ushered in, a story told so, so well, with anger and heart.
Totally agree..don’t know if you’ve got to Fishes episode yet? Extraordinary! Various sauces state there will be a Season 3 😍

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Probably mentioned, I've just binged
A Town called Malice. Excellent with fantastic 80s soundtrack. My only downside was the young black girl that had been married had kids been 10 years inside and was still young... other than that, superb.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Totally agree..don’t know if you’ve got to Fishes episode yet? Extraordinary! Various sauces state there will be a Season 3 😍
Oh god yes, that made me come on here last night desperately wanting to share it with someone! What makes it better for us Brits I suppose is that I and I suspect most of us have never seen any of the main-main cast before so they are just who they are on screen, and it's utterly absorbing.

Season 3 you say? :clap:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh god yes, that made me come on here last night desperately wanting to share it with someone! What makes it better for us Brits I suppose is that I and I suspect most of us have never seen any of the main-main cast before so they are just who they are on screen, and it's utterly absorbing.

Season 3 you say? :clap:
It's been mentioned by me and a couple of others on the Disney thread, but there really hasn't been much talk about The Bear.

The one take episode is season 1 was quite something.
I was fairly wired eyed and breathless throughout, then the credits came up.
I thought 'christ that was some opening scene' only to realise it was actually the end of the episode. 😆.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
It's been mentioned by me and a couple of others on the Disney thread, but there really hasn't been much talk about The Bear.

The one take episode is season 1 was quite something.
I was fairly wired eyed and breathless throughout, then the credits came up.
I thought 'christ that was some opening scene' only to realise it was actually the end of the episode. 😆.
Off topic, but Boiling Point with Stephen Graham is a one-take film, set in a restaurant, and is a 90 minute tense-athon.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Just finished watching all narcos series on Netflix. Brilliant. You have to pinch yourself how life doesn't seem to matter to the drug barons as long as they get their way

:guns:
It's the real-life aspect of it that makes you ponder doesn't it. Makes me wonder, which cartel gang member somewhere in the world, right now, is, at this moment, eating his last plateful of grilled nachos before being kidnapped and chopped to pieces in a basement.

Maybe I've watched too much of that stuff...

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
100% on RT, this brilliant Native American cop thriller series set in 1971 is wonderful. Robbie Redford and George RR Martin behind it too.

Highly recommended.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Off topic, but Boiling Point with Stephen Graham is a one-take film, set in a restaurant, and is a 90 minute tense-athon.
It's very good, and there is a sequel TV series coming the BBC in the next month or so I think

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Watched 1ep of Yellowstone on a flight and was really looking forward to watching more until I got home to discover it's on another streaming service that I don't subscribe to :rolleyes: already have 3 now, not paying for another.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Watched 1ep of Yellowstone on a flight and was really looking forward to watching more until I got home to discover it's on another streaming service that I don't subscribe to :rolleyes: already have 3 now, not paying for another.

This is becoming ever common. Before Amazon Prime was literally the only subscription required for their stuff.

Now entire seasons past or present, or to see batches of new episodes sooner, require additional sub’s to other entities such as HAYU. Cynically, I wonder if they’re ultimately owned by Bezos too?

All cancellable, but it’s easy to lose track.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Seasone one is on My5 https://www.channel5.com/show/yellowstone/season-1/episode-1 I imagine other seasones will eventually follow.(Similar to the Great making it's way on to 4oD following originally showing on Starzplay)

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
There was much excitement when it was announced that best-selling Icelandic author Ragnar Jónasson’s The Darkness series of novels had been picked up for adaptation.

Back then it was announced that Lena Olin would play lead character, Detective Inspector Hulda Hermannsdóttir, with renowned director Lasse Hallström helming the project.

Now former Shetland star Douglas Henshall has also joined the cast.

Henshall will appear alongside Jack Bannon, Douglas Henshall, Björn Hlynur Haraldsson, Thorsteinn Bachmann, Þorvaldur Davíð Kristjánsson, Tora Hallström, Ahd Tamimi and Árni Þór Lárusson

With production now underway in Reykjavik, The Darkness tells the story of Hulda as she investigates a shocking murder case while coming to terms with her own personal traumas. Facing early retirement and forced to take on a new partner, she is determined to find the killer, even if it means putting her own life in danger.

The English-language series will be broadcast on Icelandic streamer Síminn. No UK broadcaster has yet been announced.

Advertisements

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here